Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How's ATI Mobility HD 4650 ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2010 3:38:21 AM

Can somebody tell me about this card ? My father just bought me a Laptop for High School and I want to play games on it. But the problem is I don't even know if it's good enough to handle games like Resident Evil 5 or Dead Space ? Is this card good ? Can I play games on it ?

Thanks. :) 

More about : ati mobility 4650

a c 169 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 5:18:47 AM

Its a mid-range card,it can handle both RE5 and Dead Space on medium settings.
What are the other specs ?
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 6:21:30 AM

dead space is not that demanding, re5 on the other hand? well ive tested it at low res / low detail on my mobility hd3200 notebook. the experience was not that good, but considering a 4650 would be 4x faster than an hd3200, i think you're in good shape.
Related resources
January 15, 2010 6:42:58 AM

Maziar said:
Its a mid-range card,it can handle both RE5 and Dead Space on medium settings.
What are the other specs ?

Here are the specs..

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz
4 GB RAM DDR2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium

Is it good ?
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:37:37 AM

Malganis said:
Here are the specs..

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz
4 GB RAM DDR2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1 GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium

Is it good ?

Yes its a good setup,it can handle both games fine :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:47:52 AM

The 4650 is a good mobile card as it can game and it doesn't use a truck load of power. It's performance will depend on how much of a bottleneck the CPU is, so I would recommend trying for a good one, but you have one.

Your golden my friend.
January 15, 2010 9:59:55 AM

Quote:
It should play RE5 and DeadSpace on medium, but do not expect it to play anything else.

Anything else ? Even Red Alert 2 and Starcraft ? LOL :kaola:  Anyway thanks for the reply guys !
January 15, 2010 11:06:36 AM

Quote:
Red Alert 2, I can not see the processor holding off, maybe medium settings @ 30 FPS. If you are talking about StarCraft 2 it isn’t out yet from the visuals I'd say it will run but the experience will not be great. If you want to play upcoming games the 4650 isn’t going to cut it. Granted on a laptop the 4650 is considered gold but in reality it is at the bottom of the competitive desktop cards.

Please don't mention Desktop cards here. Of course Desktop cards are more powerful than Laptop cards. I think everyone knows that. But we're talkin' about Laptop cards here. :kaola: 

Anyway you said Red Alert 2 will only run on MEDIUM on that Laptop ? Don't you mean Red Alert 3 ? Because even my old desktop can run Red Alert 2 on max settings @ 80+ FPS.

These are my Desktop specs..

Intel Atom CPU 230 1.60 GHz
1 GB RAM
No Graphics Card. Just an Intel 82945G Express Chipset.
Windows XP Pro SP2

So it's impossible that a Laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz + 4 GB RAM + ATI Mobility 4650 DDR3 can't run Red Alert 2 on max settings.
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 12:05:43 PM

To the OP. My parents just bought an HP with a T6600 and Mobile 4650. The screen res is 1366 x768. I am over there every other weekend when I have my son and at night when he goes to bed I play a few games. I have Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 installed. They both run fairly well, L4D2 more so as it doesn't take much to run. But MW2 runs with no AA or shadows. The games you mentioned such as Red Alert 2, and StarCraft, will have NO issues at all running. You can also run some modern games as well, but at moderate settings.

You are FAR FAR better off than most of the individuals that post on here and want to game with their integrated Intel soluions.
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 12:11:31 PM

Guys please stay on topic i had to delete some posts.
To OP,as i and other said 4650M is a good midrange card and can handle those games and on medium settings on a resolution like 1280x1024 or lower.
Here is a good link which gives you the idea about how it performs:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD...
January 15, 2010 12:12:58 PM

Quote:
My third post wasn’t rude and it was justified because it was in reply to a kid turned around and threw my advice in my face with little appreciation over a misunderstanding, although it probably did start it, it was justified. And I stand by what I said about kids and hardware forums do not mix, especially immature kids and when I see posts by people like "okini55" it reinforces this.

If Malganis is prepared to act like an adult I'm willing to give him advice, until then good luck

Turned around and threw your advice in your face ? That ain't my intention at all. I just thought that you we're really talkin' about Red Alert 2 so I replied on it. How would I know if it was a typo ?? :pfff: 
January 15, 2010 12:16:11 PM

Maziar said:
Guys please stay on topic i had to delete some posts.
To OP,as i and other said 4650M is a good midrange card and can handle those games and on medium settings on a resolution like 1280x1024 or lower.
Here is a good link which gives you the idea about how it performs:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD...

Ey ! Thanks for the link !
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 12:17:55 PM

^ yeah that is very true. I dont think I would ever want to game on batty though. It would run out way to quickly .
January 15, 2010 12:24:57 PM

Quote:
Simple piece of advice I know but remember that if you are going to use it with the battery only, you will probably need to adjust the powerplay settings in the catalysts as it will most likely be set to best battery even if your power scheme is set to best performance.

Thanks for the advice ! I'll keep that in mind.
January 15, 2010 12:37:05 PM

Quote:
Apology accepted!

Is that a typo aswell ? Because I'm sure that that post isn't an apology. :kaola:  JK But seriously I didn't know that you see that post as an apology. Anyway I know it's a mistake so.. Apology Accepted ! :lol: 
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 12:44:29 PM

It seems you can't go on topic,sorry but since the OP got his/her answer i better lock this thread
!