Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking i5 2500k to 5.0Ghz+

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2012 12:03:48 PM

Hello,
what is the highest safe OC possible on an i5 2500k using a fatal1ty z68 pro gen 3 mobo and f-stream tuning. also my ram and mobo are capable of 2133mhz but are only running at the standard 1600mhz how do i fix this, i can use BIOS if need be but i would prefer to use windows if possible

Best solution

a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 7, 2012 4:49:48 PM

Using Windows is not a good idea and the best way to overclock is with the MB bios. People are coming into the forums with issues on thier overclock and the cause is mostly that they are doing it through Windows programs. The reason people want to use the Windows programs is because they don't want to go through the starting and restarting of the computer. The issue is that these Windows programs are not yet very good and while you can get some overclocking out of it if you want to go to the highest overclock you have to do it through the bios , untill the Windows programs get a lot better.
For a i5-2500k the safest overclock is around 4.8 to 5.0 ghz depending on the cpu that you get and if it's a good overclocker or not.
As far as the ram goes what is the rated stock speed of the ram , is it the 2133 mhz that you mentioned? The motherboard will have a rated stock ram soeed setting of either 1333mhz or 1600mhz and the other rated speeds are from an OC of the memory. So you will have to go into the bios and see if there is a setting in the memory section for XMP Profile which if you have that you can select it or if you have a memory level up option where you can select the memory speed of your ram and that would bring you up to the rated speed of the memory.
Related resources
September 7, 2012 5:57:05 PM

henydiah said:
here your guide and learn first : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg...

OC at 5ghz need big big cooler .. what cooler you have? i recommend ran 1.45 for dailly
just suggestion run like my sign is not good :D 
]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2488379.png

thanx for the quick reply guys my current oc is 4.5 Ghz and my cooler is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Limited Edition. i have been trying to use the blck multiplier to push the cpu that little further but have had no success i have however achieved a stable 4.8 Ghz using only the clock multiplier but it seems like such a waste to not also utilize the blck multiplier to get the most out of the cpu, do i need to tweak a certain voltage b4 i increase the blck multiplier.

m
l
September 7, 2012 6:08:13 PM

inzone said:
Using Windows is not a good idea and the best way to overclock is with the MB bios. People are coming into the forums with issues on thier overclock and the cause is mostly that they are doing it through Windows programs. The reason people want to use the Windows programs is because they don't want to go through the starting and restarting of the computer. The issue is that these Windows programs are not yet very good and while you can get some overclocking out of it if you want to go to the highest overclock you have to do it through the bios , untill the Windows programs get a lot better.
For a i5-2500k the safest overclock is around 4.8 to 5.0 ghz depending on the cpu that you get and if it's a good overclocker or not.
As far as the ram goes what is the rated stock speed of the ram , is it the 2133 mhz that you mentioned? The motherboard will have a rated stock ram soeed setting of either 1333mhz or 1600mhz and the other rated speeds are from an OC of the memory. So you will have to go into the bios and see if there is a setting in the memory section for XMP Profile which if you have that you can select it or if you have a memory level up option where you can select the memory speed of your ram and that would bring you up to the rated speed of the memory.

my ram is G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB(2x 4GB) Memory Kit - 240pin DIMM - PC3-17000 - 2133MHz - CL11-11-11-30-2N - 1.5v - Unbuffered - Non-ECC (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL) and i just ordered another 8gb kit of the same i read somewhere on here that 4 DIMM,s dont overclock aswell as 2 DIMM's will this be an issue if i want to run all 16gb at 2133 Mhz. P.S i will update my signature so u guys know what im working with thanx
m
l
September 8, 2012 1:39:47 AM

Best answer selected by dylan1990.
m
l
!