Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Any issues, changes, sugestions to this wish list???

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 12:25:25 PM

In an earlier post I asked for some sugestions on good manufacturers for a quality system that won't crap out on me (Parts wise, I know it will be obsolete next week). I am not a gamer (well maybe some PS3) and this machine will be used mainly for web development and some multimedia. Hence the reason I went with the cheaper nVidia GPUs. It will be pushing out to three monitors and one suggestion was ATI for eyfinity but I really don't think I would use it often for the price of the ATI cards that support it. I have to buy two more monitors so my budget is about maxed out on this box, but if there are any nessesary upgrades I will make exceptions. Please let me know if you find somewhere I can save some $ without sacrificeing noticeable performance. Thanks in advance! Hope to get this thing up and running soon!!!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13353646

More about : issues sugestions list

January 21, 2010 12:39:31 PM

i would have to say that ALL of the items you have chosen are very good quality brands. The one thing i would change is the heatsink/fan, get the Arctic Freezer Cooling 7 Pro rev 2.0 it's a better heatsink than the masscool and will not cost much more..
m
l

Best solution

January 21, 2010 12:46:30 PM

RAM: You've got dual channel RAM. You need triple channel. I recommend G.Skill PI Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $180.

Case: Don't get me wrong. I love the look of the Cosmos. I just hate the price. For $70 less, you can get one of the best cases out there, the HAF 922.
Or another great case, the Antec 900 (or 902).

Optical: Here's a cheaper one for $27 shipped.

PSU: You can get a non-modular one, as all the cases listed so far are bottom mounted. The PSU sits at the bottom, so the cables are already out of the way.

GPU: Highly recommend you consider shelling out for an HD 5xxx. Or at least getting a $120 single card to keep you upgrade options open. If you were to drop the Cosmos and modular PSU, you could easily afford the HD 5770. If you look for some combos and other deals, you may be able to afford the HD 5850...

EDIT: Forgot the HSF. I like the Coolermaster Hyper 212. At $30, it's fairly reasonably priced, and it's certainly one of the best. However, if you're not going to overclock, you don't need an aftermarket HSF.
Related resources
January 21, 2010 12:46:34 PM

Get a tri-channel set of RAM, 6GB should be good.
m
l
January 21, 2010 1:04:11 PM

Good catch on the RAM. I changed the to the G.Skill you recommended and the optical saving a couple $$. I am going to look more into the cases and the GPU shortly. I think will need 2 though (forgot to mention I want the forth dvi out converted to hdmi and sent to a HDTV).
m
l
January 21, 2010 1:21:24 PM

MadAdmiral said:
RAM: You've got dual channel RAM. You need triple channel. I recommend G.Skill PI Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $180.

Case: Don't get me wrong. I love the look of the Cosmos. I just hate the price. For $70 less, you can get one of the best cases out there, the HAF 922.
Or another great case, the Antec 900 (or 902).

Optical: Here's a cheaper one for $27 shipped.

PSU: You can get a non-modular one, as all the cases listed so far are bottom mounted. The PSU sits at the bottom, so the cables are already out of the way.

GPU: Highly recommend you consider shelling out for an HD 5xxx. Or at least getting a $120 single card to keep you upgrade options open. If you were to drop the Cosmos and modular PSU, you could easily afford the HD 5770. If you look for some combos and other deals, you may be able to afford the HD 5850...

EDIT: Forgot the HSF. I like the Coolermaster Hyper 212. At $30, it's fairly reasonably priced, and it's certainly one of the best. However, if you're not going to overclock, you don't need an aftermarket HSF.

So if I go for the HD 5xxx and do http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448 and a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103083, Crossfire will still work correct?? And I should be able to out put to all 3 monitors and the TV via the hdmi on the xfx card.

EDIT: Will the cheap GPU bottleneck the other??
m
l
January 21, 2010 1:36:38 PM

EDIT: Technically, it will work, but it will treat the 5770 as a second lower card, so there isn't a point in doing it.

I would also step up to the 5770 at least. The 5750 is only $15 bucks cheaper, and I believe the performance difference is 15-20%. So you really get your money's worth with the 5770.

I'm not that good with multiple monitor setups, but I bleieve a single 5000 series card can only connect up to 3 monitors. I'm not exactly sure why it has 4 ports...

I have seen some setups around for 4 monitors that use a mobo's onboard graphics (your's doesn't have one), so I assume you could get a cheap card to run one low resolution display by itself, but I'm not positive.
m
l
January 29, 2010 1:30:53 PM

Best answer selected by Swees.
m
l
!