Which is better faster ghz or larger graphic card

arwest

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Hello,
I'm trying to decide between a Toshiba Satellite with a 16in screen and Dell Studio 15.

I don't do gaming, but do play some online word games, mahjohg, tower builder, stuff like that.

I keep a lot of tabs open on foxfire, and also have word, excel, access open at the same time.
I have several websites so I can also have a web design software (like dreamweaver), web editor, photoshop, and ipswitch open too.
I use skype or my live digital stream site to talk to clients and friends, or stream, which means I sometimes have a camcorder attached to the computer.

I need the fastest connecting, fastest loading, fastest working laptop.
Can't decide between the 2 machines. I've tried to test them doing side by side activities. Sometimes one is faster, sometimes the other.

Which should I choose, cause one of them has to go back?

Here are the main differences between the two systems.
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB L3 Cache, 1333MHz DDR3, 8GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (4096MBx2), 500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA), NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M with 1GB GDDR3 discrete graphics, 16in screen.

Intel Core i7-820QM Quade Core Mobile CPU, 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode), 8MB Cache, 8 GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 500GB HDD (7200rpm), 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570, 15.4in screen.

Well, I'd choose the first model - the difference between the processors is minimal - 133MHz wouldn't be that much to be honest. Both processors will be more than adequate for having a few tabs open while doing a bit of Photoshop work. With the first laptop you get a bigger screen - might help a bit with what you do, but I wouldn't know. Apparently Photoshop supports graphical acceleration - the GT330M is a better graphics card than the HD 4570, and will help with rendering times - you could take that into consideration. If you're going to be moving it around - consider the weight differences too.

My suggestion though - go for the Satellite. :)

arwest

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks so much.
In case you didn't know, the Satellite was the one you chose. It is heavier (wow is that Dell light), but it's not heavier than my old Dell Latitude, especially if I take the battery out. Will admit I do not like those lumpy batteries hp and toshiba use. Prefer flat on the bottom. Screen size isn't a big deal. Actually prefer that on the dell only because I don't like a number pad on the right side of the keyboard and the Satellite had that (didn't know that until I ordered it. LOL) I just really wanted the fastest machine because I do a lot of graphics, and I do stream live on the internet.

Thanks so much. Satellite stays.