Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I will never buy another ATI GPU if I can help it.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2010 8:54:33 AM

I recently bought a ATI Radeon 5850 that gave me so many freakin problems. In the past I owned a Radeon X800 for my Mac that went bad after 2 years (no overclocking or anything). My mac still has a lower end ATI card in it, but I am done with ATI cards, they are nothing but trouble.

I am returning the Radeon 5850 I bought and getting a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 285 instead. I didn't get the less expensive factory overclocked BFG GTX 285 because I don't want a card that runs extra hot, and anyways I figured Gigabyte brand would be better quality.

I have mostly always used Nvidia graphics cards ever since the Hercules 3D Prophet Geforce 3 I owned. Nvidia cards have never given me a problem and are so stable with great compatibility. IMO, Nvidia GPUs are far superior to ATI GPUs.

More about : buy ati gpu

a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 8:56:38 AM

Mustang5521 said:
I recently bought a ATI Radeon 5850 that gave me so many freakin problems. In the past I owned a Radeon X800 for my Mac that went bad after 2 years (no overclocking or anything). My mac still has a lower end ATI card in it, but I am done with ATI cards, they are nothing but trouble.

I am returning the Radeon 5850 I bought and getting a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 285 instead. I didn't get the less expensive factory overclocked BFG GTX 285 because I don't want a card that runs extra hot, and anyways I figured Gigabyte brand would be better quality.

I have mostly always used Nvidia graphics cards ever since the Hercules 3D Prophet Geforce 3 I owned. Nvidia cards have never given me a problem and are so stable with great compatibility. IMO, Nvidia GPUs are far superior to ATI GPUs.

Lol, fanboy rant.
January 15, 2010 9:00:20 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
Lol, fanboy rant.

Nope, just an enlightened individual.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:25:02 AM

User Error.
a c 141 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:31:15 AM

just let him be. maybe he got bad luck with ATI
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:36:37 AM

fanboy error!
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:36:57 AM

Mustang5521 said:

U just unlucky, it just happen randomly, not just ATI, NVIDIA has their problem too... :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:39:20 AM

renz496 said:

I had bad luck with nVidia but you don't see me ranting and saying that nVidia is the worst thing ever :pfff:  . Every company has its share of problems, but mostly all problems here are user generated.
a c 141 U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:40:17 AM

wa1 said:
U just unlucky, it just happen randomly, not just ATI, NVIDIA has their problem too... :) 

i'm totally agree with that

i've seen many people have this kind of problem for both nvidia and ATI.

i've been using cards from nvidia & ATI and good for me i never have much trouble when using both in the past.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:45:20 AM

renz496 said:

Let him be because he is stupid enough to equate a run of bad luck with the quality of the overall product?

That is retarded, look how many people do just fine with ATI.

One of my 8800 GTS 512mb, when I ordered two, never worked right and was DOA! I guess I should never buy nVidia again because I had bad luck.

Listen OP, your dealing with new tech and if you had a clue you would know that any 40nm GPU for about 6 months to a year is going to have a slightly higher chance of failure than your used to because of high failure rate in wafers at TMSC. It isn't ATI's fault and it is just as probable that the new nVidia cards, Fermi, will have similar failure rates. Did you send it back for a new one? No? Well how the hell can you say that the product is bad in general?
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:55:42 AM

Quote:
I love these threads.

My 6 year old notebook with a mobility 9800 is happily running still and my 4 year old or so dual x1900's are still running fine in my old computer.

Dang, those are some rubbish cards.

Another useless thread. This is not helping anyone, so can a Mod close it?
January 15, 2010 10:08:13 AM

Mustang5521 said:

I've had an original ATi Radeon (no number after!) crap out on me, a GeForce4 Ti, a Radeon X800, nvidia 5700.... And so on and so forth. But my Voodoo3 card is still running! :-D

To be fair I'd be more inclined to blame XFX/Palit/Sapphire/Asus... and so on - the actual 3rd party's who put the card together and test it rather than blaming ATi or NVidia. They will all test each card to a set standard, good old quality control, and if it passes then out to retail the card will go. Unfortunately that's not to say that a card won't be DOA or fail shortly after.

Your best option is to make sure you buy the one with the 2-3 year or lifetime warranty then if anything does happen a repair/replacement is only a RMA away.

January 15, 2010 11:17:58 AM

I agree with the original poster. I've owned many nVidia and ATI cards over the decades and in general I've had more issues with ATI. I'll buy ATI if there's a clear price/performance advantage, but all things being equal, I'll opt for nVidia. If I were to buy a card today. I would get a 5800 series card because dollar for dollar they offer more than anything nVidia has.

Almost all cards from both vendors work in general, but with ATI I more frequently run into issue with specific games not working. Maybe it's because games are tested more with nVidia since historically they've sold more than ATI.

I guess this makes me a fan boy. Anyone who thinks one product is better than another is by definition a fan boy.
January 15, 2010 12:23:06 PM

These sort of threads will only ever make to OP look like a spoilt, uneducated fool. This one is no different.
KidHorn - I have been UNLUCKY enough to have more problems with Nvidia cards than ATI, I guess that makes you UNLUCKY with ATI cards, not a fan boy!
January 15, 2010 12:27:58 PM

Mustang5521 said:

Yet not one of the problems was listed....

Watson, I think we may have a fanboi on our hands...
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 12:36:33 PM

And with that, and since the OP quit posting, both can be good or bad, thats electronics for ya
!