Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rocking CORE i7 build

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 3:05:30 PM

Hi,

I'm putting together a i7 system. I request you guys to help me to decide the right components.

Computer Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 or ASUS P6T

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

RAM: G Skill 6GB (3x2GB)

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770

PowerSupply: Cooler Master 600W

I'm really confused in choosing a solid motherboard for my new build. Please guide a good motherboard with a better OC facility.

More about : rocking core build

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2010 3:42:02 PM

We could provide a lot more help if you followed the guidelines in the link from my signature. We need things like a budget, location, use of the computer, what you already have, monitor resolution, etc.

PSU: Don't get a Coolermaster. They aren't known for good quality. There's an OCZ StealthXStream 700W from Newegg for $55 after rebate.

Mobo: That Gigabyte is a good one. But for $40 more, you can get the Asus P6X58D Premium with USB 3 and SATA III support.

RAM: What's the CAS Latency on those sticks? Speed? You want at least 1333 mhz and at most CAS Latency 7.

GPU: Are you gaming? At what resolution? The 5770 is good, but can be overwhelmed at higher resolutions.
January 23, 2010 11:44:14 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Average Game User - High CPU intesive apps

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speaker and OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Hardware Vendors from Hyderabad, India

PARTS PREFERENCES: MOBO Asus or GigaByte

OVERCLOCKING: Yes , partly

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC.

PSU : I will take you suggestion I will go for OCZ StealthXStream 700W or Corsair HX700W, let me know

Mobo : Thanks, I will try to consider Asus P6X58D Premium

RAM : I have no idea about the latency, but it would be 1600 mhz.

GPU : Average Gamer, Please let me know your suggestion if not 5770, Is ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB a good one ?

HDD : Considering SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3, 7200RPM, 1TB, 500GB/Platter, 32MB Cache - How about this ?

Cooling Kit : Please suggest

Thermal Paste: Please suggest.

Awaiting your suggestions. I should have a PC which can last for another 5 years - with even the new technology breakthoughs in MOBO and processors

Thanks a lot in advance.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2010 8:24:56 PM

The pc will last 5 years, but not the video card.
m
l
February 2, 2010 4:31:59 AM

Best answer selected by prabhu.
m
l
February 2, 2010 4:59:13 AM

I'd recommend getting a Radeon HD 5850 if you want this build to last a while, because that's about $80 or so more than the 5770's and can marginally outdo two of the 5770's. That's my two cents, anyway.
m
l
!