oddball 0045

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hello. im very happy with my HIS 6790 ICEq turbo 1gb. ive had it for over a year now. it comes pre overclocked with 900/1100. i got it to 980/1150 VDDC 1231. pasts occt constantly and furmark. im overclocking it more. and two things are bugging me. most people can get the memory on theses well to 1250mhz. yet im stuck at 1165 and i get crashes. werid. but the really werid part is this. i can overclock to 999mhz but as soon as i even think about going to 1ghz i get OCCT fails. werid i never herd of having a stable 4hour OCCT card on shader complexity 8 work but rasing it by 1mhz i get 100 errors within 1 minute. ?

Thanks
-Oddball

Solution
Every chip is different. The fact that the 1MHz is causing instability is just out of luck. I too had a similar "issue" with my GTX 670 Power Edition, where I could no break the 180MHz offset. I would go to 177MHZ, then 178MHz. BAM! Unstable. I went down to 175MHz to really get a stable clock putting me at 1195MHz clock plus the Boost.

My point is that the overclock could have stopped at any point (997MHz, 1013MHz, etc.), and really that extra MHz your pushing for won't make a difference. I was trying to hit a Boost of 1366MHz, but only got 1340MHz, before realizing that the performance benefit was extremely minimal. I am back at stock as I realized that it runs my games at 60 FPS+ Ultra (BF3, BF:BC2, Skyrim...) and any higher was...
Ever hear of the old saying " the straw that broke the camels back". It's ind of a quirky saying but the idea it portays is true and if you go that one last click you've exceeded the limit. I think that people that have to get that last couple of mhz of an overclock is really not going to make much of a difference. If your at 1165 and someone else is at 1250 then great that person is going to get 3 fps more than you , does it really justify the saftey of your gpu?
You started out your post with " Hello , I'm very happy with my HIS6790, so are you or not?
In your games what are you getting for fps? Do you really think your going to notice 5 fps? Anything over 60 fps cannot be noticed by your eyes and once you get past 90 fps you won't have any screen slowdowns caused by extreme game action.
So why the rush to the highest fps possible ? Bragging rights !
If your playing games and getting good game performance then you could be happy with that and not be jealous of someone with the same card getting a little higher mhz.
The one thing that you have to remember if you don't know it is that each and every gpu and cpu are different and will overclock differently , so that means that one person can get 1165mhz and another can get 1250 mhz with the same model card.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Every chip is different. The fact that the 1MHz is causing instability is just out of luck. I too had a similar "issue" with my GTX 670 Power Edition, where I could no break the 180MHz offset. I would go to 177MHZ, then 178MHz. BAM! Unstable. I went down to 175MHz to really get a stable clock putting me at 1195MHz clock plus the Boost.

My point is that the overclock could have stopped at any point (997MHz, 1013MHz, etc.), and really that extra MHz your pushing for won't make a difference. I was trying to hit a Boost of 1366MHz, but only got 1340MHz, before realizing that the performance benefit was extremely minimal. I am back at stock as I realized that it runs my games at 60 FPS+ Ultra (BF3, BF:BC2, Skyrim...) and any higher was useless and would shorten my chip's life.

The point is, what you get to is what you get to, but measure really how much more performance will you get, in exchange for slowly killing your chip. The errors are completely normal. And to sum it up, read @inzone's post.

Solution

oddball 0045

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Well. two things. 60fps and 90fps is VERY noticeable for me atleast. and that extra 3fps may not be that important. but i was hoping i could get even numbers. guess ill stick to 990/1160