Tags:
  • RAM
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 27, 2010 6:45:00 AM

hello,

I have a Intel core 2 Duo e7200 motherboard and 2.53ghz processor. the motherboard has to slots for RAM, i previously had 2gb RAM stick installed & recently i added one more 2gb stick into the other slot, but the system show only 3gb RAM installed. what could be the problem? :??: 

More about : question

March 27, 2010 7:08:35 AM

swapnil1193 said:
hello,

I have a Intel core 2 Duo e7200 motherboard and 2.53ghz processor. the motherboard has to slots for RAM, i previously had 2gb RAM stick installed & recently i added one more 2gb stick into the other slot, but the system show only 3gb RAM installed. what could be the problem? :??: 

Hi

windows 32bit edition has a limit of around 3gb
3.25 to be exact.

To get the full 4g you'll need to go 64 bit I'm afraid.

All the best

HB
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2010 3:12:49 PM

Hellboy said:
windows 32bit edition has a limit of around 3gb
3.25 to be exact.

Not strictly speaking true, but for the purposes of this discussion yes.

You'll need a 64-bit OS to properly register the RAM and use it all.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2010 2:48:25 PM

LePhuronn said:
Not strictly speaking true, but for the purposes of this discussion yes.

You'll need a 64-bit OS to properly register the RAM and use it all.

If it's not true strickly speaking, then what is?
I only ask because I have no idea :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 4:05:36 PM

matthew123 said:
If it's not true strickly speaking, then what is?
I only ask because I have no idea :) 

I was referring to the maximum available RAM on a 32-bit system is determined by what's left over after all the other memory registers have their slice. With 4GB being the maximum registerable value 32-bit maths can deal with, you can be left with less than 3GB when it's all sliced up.

For example, I'm dual-booting one of our edit machines in the office with XP 32-bit for compatibility with an old Decklink video capture card. The machine has 8GB RAM in it, but it also has a 1GB Nvidia Quadro, Asus Xonar D2 and a few other bits and bobs as well. As a result XP 32-bit only reports 2.4GB total system RAM.
m
l
March 30, 2010 6:53:39 AM

I have had xp report anything from 3.00 to 3.49 gig. It depends on configuration.

3Gb is the 32bit limit but i split the difference between the top two, hence 3.25

Mathew upgrade the os to Windows 7 to get the maximize the ram you have.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

the reason windows xp some times shows more is down to the pci reserved memory range...

Vista 32 and windows 7 utilise 4gb.
m
l
!