Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mixing different brands of RAM in one system

Last response: in Memory
August 19, 2010 11:47:50 AM

Hi all,

Very simple question, just looking for some opinions. I currently have 2x1GB Samsung DDR2-800 modules installed. I recently migrated to Windows 7 x64, and I want to add an additional 2x1GB to my system. Any other brand of DDR2-800 should work fine, right? The reason I'm asking is that I can get Kingston for quite a bit cheaper than Samsung. I'm guessing that since RAM is all manufactured to the same general specifications, there shouldn't be a problem.

Anything I've missed or should be aware of? Thanks.
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 12:03:58 PM

Never thought about this one. I have never mixed RAM's of different brands. But i would think if you get RAM's with the exact same specs, then there should be no problems.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:13:16 PM

Same specs as in voltages, timings, etc?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 12:47:38 PM

Yes.

Voltage, timing and frequency make sure all are same. Other compatibility issues may creep in.

For frequency i know that, if one of your RAM is higher in frequency than the other, then higher frequency RAM would automatically down-clock to the lower frequency RAM. This is what i know. So you lose out on the better frequency of the RAM.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:52:05 PM

Frequency won't be a problem; both sets will be DDR2-800. I can change the timings if required.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:59:56 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Frequency won't be a problem; both sets will be DDR2-800. I can change the timings if required.

I made a similar Thread asking the same question, I strongly believe if it has the same clocks,same timings,version say 6400, Than it doesn't matter which manufacturer you use
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 2:00:30 PM

You should match the frequency (speed: 800MHz), latencies (e.g. 5-5-5-18), and voltage (e.g. 2.1V). If you cannot exactly match the first set's specs.:
-- Before you add the new sticks, leave your existing RAM in the board.
-- Enter the BIOS RAM settings.
-- Change the RAM settings to the higher latencies and voltages of the two sets of RAM (should be on on stickers on the RAM sticks).
-- Save and exit the BIOS.
-- Shut-down the computer, disconnect the power cord.
-- Open the case and insert the new RAM sticks.
-- Close the case, re-connect the power cord, and power-on the system.
You computer should now POST and boot into your OS.
-- Do not try to OC the computer unless each RAM stick has exactly the same specs.
August 19, 2010 2:27:21 PM

treefrog07 said:
You should match the frequency (speed: 800MHz), latencies (e.g. 5-5-5-18), and voltage (e.g. 2.1V). If you cannot exactly match the first set's specs.:
-- Before you add the new sticks, leave your existing RAM in the board.
-- Enter the BIOS RAM settings.
-- Change the RAM settings to the higher latencies and voltages of the two sets of RAM (should be on on stickers on the RAM sticks).
-- Save and exit the BIOS.
-- Shut-down the computer, disconnect the power cord.
-- Open the case and insert the new RAM sticks.
-- Close the case, re-connect the power cord, and power-on the system.
You computer should now POST and boot into your OS.
-- Do not try to OC the computer unless each RAM stick has exactly the same specs.

Thanks for that, I appreciate step-by-step instructions. Overclocking is not in scope, but thanks for the advice.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 5:11:51 PM

You're welcome. If you have trouble booting to the OS, go back into the BIOS and increase the northbridge voltage one or two selections from the default - some boards do not like having all the DIMMs populated.
m
l
August 20, 2010 8:02:12 PM

Just FYI: I installed the second set and they work fine. Thanks for everyone's contributions.
m
l
August 20, 2010 8:02:36 PM

Best answer selected by Herr_Koos.
m
l
!