Solved

Mixing different brands of RAM in one system

Hi all,

Very simple question, just looking for some opinions. I currently have 2x1GB Samsung DDR2-800 modules installed. I recently migrated to Windows 7 x64, and I want to add an additional 2x1GB to my system. Any other brand of DDR2-800 should work fine, right? The reason I'm asking is that I can get Kingston for quite a bit cheaper than Samsung. I'm guessing that since RAM is all manufactured to the same general specifications, there shouldn't be a problem.

Anything I've missed or should be aware of? Thanks.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mixing brands system
  1. Never thought about this one. I have never mixed RAM's of different brands. But i would think if you get RAM's with the exact same specs, then there should be no problems.
  2. Same specs as in voltages, timings, etc?
  3. Yes.

Voltage, timing and frequency make sure all are same. Other compatibility issues may creep in.

For frequency i know that, if one of your RAM is higher in frequency than the other, then higher frequency RAM would automatically down-clock to the lower frequency RAM. This is what i know. So you lose out on the better frequency of the RAM.
  4. Frequency won't be a problem; both sets will be DDR2-800. I can change the timings if required.
  5. Herr_Koos said:
    Frequency won't be a problem; both sets will be DDR2-800. I can change the timings if required.

I made a similar Thread asking the same question, I strongly believe if it has the same clocks,same timings,version say 6400, Than it doesn't matter which manufacturer you use
  6. Best answer
    You should match the frequency (speed: 800MHz), latencies (e.g. 5-5-5-18), and voltage (e.g. 2.1V). If you cannot exactly match the first set's specs.:
    -- Before you add the new sticks, leave your existing RAM in the board.
    -- Enter the BIOS RAM settings.
    -- Change the RAM settings to the higher latencies and voltages of the two sets of RAM (should be on on stickers on the RAM sticks).
    -- Save and exit the BIOS.
    -- Shut-down the computer, disconnect the power cord.
    -- Open the case and insert the new RAM sticks.
    -- Close the case, re-connect the power cord, and power-on the system.
    You computer should now POST and boot into your OS.
    -- Do not try to OC the computer unless each RAM stick has exactly the same specs.
  7. treefrog07 said:
    You should match the frequency (speed: 800MHz), latencies (e.g. 5-5-5-18), and voltage (e.g. 2.1V). If you cannot exactly match the first set's specs.:
    -- Before you add the new sticks, leave your existing RAM in the board.
    -- Enter the BIOS RAM settings.
    -- Change the RAM settings to the higher latencies and voltages of the two sets of RAM (should be on on stickers on the RAM sticks).
    -- Save and exit the BIOS.
    -- Shut-down the computer, disconnect the power cord.
    -- Open the case and insert the new RAM sticks.
    -- Close the case, re-connect the power cord, and power-on the system.
    You computer should now POST and boot into your OS.
    -- Do not try to OC the computer unless each RAM stick has exactly the same specs.

Thanks for that, I appreciate step-by-step instructions. Overclocking is not in scope, but thanks for the advice.
  8. You're welcome. If you have trouble booting to the OS, go back into the BIOS and increase the northbridge voltage one or two selections from the default - some boards do not like having all the DIMMs populated.
  9. Just FYI: I installed the second set and they work fine. Thanks for everyone's contributions.
  10. Best answer selected by Herr_Koos.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Samsung