Sign in with
Your question

Building a Gaming PC, need opinions on final build.

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 4:18:25 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next week
BUDGET RANGE: £800, not including monitor

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the web, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: scan.co.uk, amazon.co.uk, possible eBay.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United Kingdom

PARTS PREFERENCES: What I am currently thinking of going with:
Coolermaster Elite 330
Asus P7P55D LE
Core i5 750
4GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz
nVidia GTX 275 896MB
500GB Hitachi SATA HDD
650W Corsair Professional CMPSU-650HXUK
Akasa Nero AK-967 CPU fan

OVERCLOCKING: Not at present, but possibly in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050. Have an old monitor, but will probably get a new one.
Thinking of LG W2254TQ 22 inch LCD Monitor ().

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like it to be fairly quiet, though this is not essential.

Any help/advice is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
January 21, 2010 4:26:56 PM

No Crossfire/SLI?

Here's what I'd change:

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E. The "-E" means it has USB 3/SATA III support, making it more future proof. It shouldn't cost too much more.

GPU: nVidia is sucking right now. Get a new HD 5850 for more future proofing. It's a tad more expensive, but worth it.

RAM: What's the CAS Latency (timing) on that RAM? You want it to be at most 7.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. If you can't find that, the Seagate 7200.12 500 GB is a nice substitute.

Cooler: Never heard of that cooler. I highly recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212.
January 21, 2010 4:49:09 PM

If you want to stick with nvidia, just wanting good performance without caring about DX11 and such, then go for a pair of GTS 250s in SLI...
of course what MadAdmiral says has a lot of sense but you didn't post anything about your GPU manufacturer preferences... who knows, maybe you're an nvidia fanboy
Related resources
January 21, 2010 7:02:57 PM

MadAdmiral said:
No Crossfire/SLI?

Here's what I'd change:

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E. The "-E" means it has USB 3/SATA III support, making it more future proof. It shouldn't cost too much more.

GPU: nVidia is sucking right now. Get a new HD 5850 for more future proofing. It's a tad more expensive, but worth it.

RAM: What's the CAS Latency (timing) on that RAM? You want it to be at most 7.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. If you can't find that, the Seagate 7200.12 500 GB is a nice substitute.

Cooler: Never heard of that cooler. I highly recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212.

Many thanks for your input, particularly regarding the MoBo. A few more questions if I may:

GPU: The HD 5850 is perhaps slightly beyond my budget. Can you recommend any other more future proof graphics cards than the GTX 275 that are slightly cheaper?

RAM: It states that CAS latency is 9-9-9-24 so I presume this is bad? It's this one.

And nope, @grossemesser, I have no particular preference, just heard that the GTX 275 balanced good performance with a decent price. Is using two GPUs via Crossfire/SLI easy to put together? Sorry, just I'm a first time PC builder and it sounds quite complicated!

But thank you both again for the help!

January 21, 2010 7:11:57 PM

GPU: The next step down is the HD 5770. It's about half the price of the 5850. It's not as powerful as the GTX 275, but it's more future proof as it has DirectX 11 support and is better in Crossfire.

RAM: It's certainly not good. Try to find some with CL 7. It usually isn't much more expensive.

Crossfire/SLI: I haven't actually set it up before, because I haven't seen the point to it, but from what I've read it is very simple. It's not a very good choice to do at the start of a build, but it's a good future proofing option.

Have you considered using AMD CPUs? You won't lose anything in gaming, and you'll probably be able to afford the HD 5850. If you're open to it, the only changes you'd need are:

CPU: Phenom II X4 955
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

That should save you enough for the HD 5850, if prices over there are similar to here in the US...
January 21, 2010 7:58:12 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Have you considered using AMD CPUs? You won't lose anything in gaming, and you'll probably be able to afford the HD 5850. If you're open to it, the only changes you'd need are:

CPU: Phenom II X4 955
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

That should save you enough for the HD 5850, if prices over there are similar to here in the US...

Thanks, I may do just that. Never used AMD processors before, but there's a first time for everything :) 

One last question (I promise!), do you think 4GB of RAM will be enough to comfortably run very intensive games such as Crysis, or do you think I should be looking at going for 6GB?

January 21, 2010 8:16:05 PM

4GB should be plenty for gaming. The intensity is mostly on the graphics card and a bit on the CPU. If you start encoding video you might upgrade to 8GB.
!