How do you choose a mobo that is compatible with WHS?

tharthurr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hello
I recently built a nice server and installed Windows Home Server OEM and got it up and running with no issues until I attempted to install the Mobo drivers CD which came with the Mobo board. They were incompatible with WHS and I was not able to install them. I do admit I was attempting to build on a budget and opted to use a cheaper but good desktop mobo. (ASUS M4a785-M & AMD 2 x4). With further research I discoved that it isn't easy to determine if a board is compatible with an OS. Retailers do not post it in the stats nor does the manufacture in most cases. Can someone tell me the trick at identifing the mobo requirements for an OS?

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
There is no reason why this motherboard wont work. In fact, I would wager that if you looked at your devices they all have drivers (there are no yellow warning signs next to the devices).

If you have a device that doesn't have a driver, you will get the most up-to-date driver by going directly to the device manufacturer's web site and downloading the driver from there. For example, you have a VIA VT1708S audio chip. If you need the driver for this chip you can download it from them.

Lastly, you probably should not have purchased an OEM OS. A Microsoft OEM OS is reserved for system builders, not retail.

tharthurr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Thanks for your reply and yes there were devices without drivers indicated thru the hardware device manager....and yes, I did check with the manufacturer for the each device....using your example "VIA VT1708S audio chip", you will discover...that they do not supply a specific driver for WHS (32-bit version).

Lastly, what would your reason be for not purchasing a retail version of WHS OEM??? Would be interested to know since you went to the trouble of answering my post.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
"...and got it up and running with no issues..." then later you mention the Mobo drivers issue...

I can't directly answer if there is a trick to identify the mobo/OS requirements, but I can tell you that I have WHS and I have been finding that some XP drivers work with that OS.

It might just be a trial/error to find if drivers work or not. That's the best I can offer...for what it's worth

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
One thing to consider is if you need more than the generic drivers for some of what your mobo has. It's not like you're going to be listening to audio over HDMI from your WHS. Even the generic video driver would be fine. It's the network and SATA adapters that mean the most to WHS.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is no "retail" version of WHS software. You can buy the OEM OS or you can buy a pre-built system (HP, Acer, and Lenovo all seel them).

Regarding, WHS drivers, if you can't find Server 2003 specific drivers, you can almost always use XP (32-bit) drivers.

My WHS box uses a very similar MB as the original poster. Bottom line, everything works per the previous sentence.