Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4870 Extended display Windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2010 3:37:00 PM

I checked the FAQ's for the problem I have and found nothing that worked. This is a new machine and all drivers are current. My problem is getting Extended display to work. Hooked up both monitors to the dual DVI outputs. One is a LCD Flat and the other a VGA (older one). I can get a display on both monitors when I select Duplicate, but when I select Extended, one of the monitors is not detected, it doesn't matter which monitor. Also, wichever monitor is selected as the Main display, the second monitor will only show the backround pic and not the shortcut icons. In other words; complete desktop on one and only the backround on the other. I've tried swaping connector outputs on the vid card, selecting various display functions in the option menu, checked bios for display adaptor options (there were none)(EVGA P55 Mobo). I'm out of idea's.
a b C Monitor
January 15, 2010 3:41:19 PM

When you extend your desktop to a second monitor, all that SHOULD show up is your desktop picture. The whole idea of extending your desktop is that you are basically still looking at a single virtual space, so your main monitor is your normal desktop, it just doesn't end at the edge of the screen, but continues onto the other monitor, so see if you can just move your mouse to the other screen and that will tell you if its working properly or not.
m
l
January 15, 2010 4:11:39 PM

flyinfinni said:
When you extend your desktop to a second monitor, all that SHOULD show up is your desktop picture. The whole idea of extending your desktop is that you are basically still looking at a single virtual space, so your main monitor is your normal desktop, it just doesn't end at the edge of the screen, but continues onto the other monitor, so see if you can just move your mouse to the other screen and that will tell you if its working properly or not.

Nope. The mouse stays on the Main monitor. Can't get anything on the 2nd monitor. I admit, I don't really know how this works.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b C Monitor
January 15, 2010 4:14:05 PM

Do you see anything at all on the second monitor? If you can see your background image, the extended desktop should be working. Just try moving your mouse off the edges of your main monitor and see if it ever shows up on the other background image. If you don't see your background image on the other monitor, what DO you see? is it telling you it doesn't have a signal input?
January 15, 2010 4:26:49 PM

Ahhhh.... You have officially communicated with a moron. :pt1cable: 

I feel so dumb. My second monitor is setting to the left of my Main. I was tring to pull the mouse or whatever to the left and just found out how to correct that. Sorry to have wasted your time but I do appreciate it. Go ahead....you can laugh now. :lol: 
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 15, 2010 4:37:50 PM

No problem- Sometimes you have an idea of how it should work and when it doesn't work that way, you get confused. We've all done that at some point or another;-)
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:56:50 AM

hi guys!

magpi, i experienced exactly the same problem and this thread helped me. but now ive got another concern and flyinfinni, i really hope you can help me with this one.

now whenever i choose the EXTEND THESE DISPLAY option, both the monitors go black.

separately they work just fine. i mean when i choose the option show only desktop on 1 and show only desktop on 2. they work fine.

the monitors im using are:

1 - HP computer monitor with recommended resolution of 1600 x 900

2 - Panasonic TV with 1366 x 768 resolution

m
l
September 11, 2012 10:24:42 AM

Dos1981 said:
hi guys!

magpi, i experienced exactly the same problem and this thread helped me. but now ive got another concern and flyinfinni, i really hope you can help me with this one.

now whenever i choose the EXTEND THESE DISPLAY option, both the monitors go black.

separately they work just fine. i mean when i choose the option show only desktop on 1 and show only desktop on 2. they work fine.

the monitors im using are:

1 - HP computer monitor with recommended resolution of 1600 x 900

2 - Panasonic TV with 1366 x 768 resolution

Try setting both monitors to the same resolution.
m
l
!