Solved

Build or buy? Office PCs (1-2)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Immediately

Budget: $750 (may purchase 2 identical systems @750each)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: MS Office applications, Internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers, will buy monitor/keyboard/mouse separately if not in package

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, crucial.com, Amazon.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I like crucial RAM, WD hdd, but not too picky.

OVERCLOCKING: UNDER NO CONDITIONS!

MONITOR RESOLUTION: prefer 20-22" widescreen LCD, so 1680x1050 or 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: These machines MUST be high reliability. They are for business use, and we have ALWAYS purchased OEM systems. A five to 7 year lifespan is pretty much expected. I'm tossing around the idea of building them myself, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Right now, I can buy:

Dell Vostro 220Slim
E8400 C2D
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
Intel GMA x4500HD
250GB HD
21.5" E2210H LCD (1080p)
3yr Next business day warranty
Windows 7 Professional

$724+free shipping

I'd like to see 4GB RAM and at least a basic video card, but I can add them later I suppose.

Can I build a similar or better system for less?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build office
  1. Best answer
    To me, business systems are best purchased from a major manufacturer that gives you a warranty. If you dont have a full time hardware tech then I dont think its worth the potential headache for the small amount of money you would save.
  2. Agree. With the OS, you're not looking at being able to custom build more than what you would with a prebuilt.

It's also always nice to be able to point at some one else and say it's their fault...
  3. Thanks! I am the hardware tech, and building them would be fun, but if there are issues, it will be more unpaid overtime for me...
  4. Best answer selected by singingigo.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems