Sign in with
Your question

Boot dos from a slave drive

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2012 8:47:58 PM

Hello,
How can I boot MS-DOS 5.0 that has been installed on a slave drive in a primary partition?
The drive is an ATA IDE drive.

I usually boot Windows 95 using the IDE Master drive. The slave hard drive is on the same IDE channel...the primary.

I want the capability to boot into MS-DOS 5.0 using the slave drive.

Can I do this? How? My slave is jumpered as slave and my master is jumpered as Master.
They are both seen OK by the BIOS.

More about : boot dos slave drive

a b G Storage
January 17, 2012 9:28:00 PM

You need to install a boot manager. The Windows 9x/ME boot manager is very simple and cannot be configured to boot to another partition. If you had Windows NT or higher you could simply modify the NT boot manager and would not need further software.
m
l
January 30, 2012 10:41:33 PM

Thanks for the reply but.....
NO, I do NOT need a boot manager. I do NOT need to use the Windows 95 boot manager either.
All I need to do is make a primary partition on the additional drive the "Active" partition. This can be done with the FDISK.COM program as I eventually found out.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 31, 2012 6:09:58 PM

BostonBobblyHead said:
Thanks for the reply but.....
NO, I do NOT need a boot manager. I do NOT need to use the Windows 95 boot manager either.
All I need to do is make a primary partition on the additional drive the "Active" partition. This can be done with the FDISK.COM program as I eventually found out.

Making the partition active is a given; I thought you needed to be able to easily choose what hard drive to boot to.
m
l
!