I5 750 or i7 920, Confused !

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
March 27, 2010 12:52:48 PM

I am confused in a choice.

i5 750 with P55 Chipset or i7 920 with X58. Usually I change the Motherboard when I change CPU. So socket is not concern here. I am interested in EVGA P55 FTW or Asus Maximus III Formula.

My Question is , is it worth buying a High End Board with i5. What platform is more future proof So that I don't have to worry for at least 1 to 1.5 years before changing the backbone of the PC again.

Sorry for late editing:

My main uses are as follows. Based on Priority from top to down.

- 3D Modeling / Rendering
- Gaming @ 1080p (FPS, RTS and RPG)
- Photoshop / Digital Painting etc
- Overclocking in Winter
- Other Basic uses a PC does.

PS: I am upgrading from E8500 and X48 Chipset.

More about : 750 920 confused

a c 117 à CPUs
March 27, 2010 1:11:26 PM

If you build for 1-1.5 years, you shouldn't be concerned by which socket is the most future proof. You decision should be based upon your current requirements which you haven't listed in your post.
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:27:49 PM

Thanks for Reminding. I have updated the first post.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2010 1:34:14 PM

Like the above poster said, in 1.5 years either platform will be fine. Do you actually up grade your systems every 1.5 years, or is that what your thinking about doing?

Unless your into high end work stations, or simply have extra money to burn, up grading the "backbone" of your system every 1.5 years is overkill. All you really need every 1 to 2 years is a video card upgrade, and maybe hard drive, provided you purchase your ram wisely.

After 3 or more years, buy a new cpu and mobo... And because you have been upgrading your hard drives and video cards, you will just need a cpu, mother board, and maybe ram. What I do is sell the unwanted parts on ebay, for a cheap upgrade.

My 2 cents
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2010 1:39:26 PM

Ah, I just saw that you do 3d modeling/rendering. Well fork over the extra dough and go for the 1366. That socket will have the first 6 core cpu's for desktops. The 6 core variety for socket 1156 is unknown, and will most certainly be a slightly watered down version of the 1366 chips.
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:56:24 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Like the above poster said, in 1.5 years either platform will be fine. Do you actually up grade your systems every 1.5 years, or is that what your thinking about doing?

Unless your into high end work stations, or simply have extra money to burn, up grading the "backbone" of your system every 1.5 years is overkill. All you really need every 1 to 2 years is a video card upgrade, and maybe hard drive, provided you purchase your ram wisely.

After 3 or more years, buy a new cpu and mobo... And because you have been upgrading your hard drives and video cards, you will just need a cpu, mother board, and maybe ram. What I do is sell the unwanted parts on ebay, for a cheap upgrade.

My 2 cents

Brother You are very right here. However My Motherboard (MSI X48C) Still has some Room for a CPU upgrade alone. But my concerns were the actual Price value of the components. i.e in less than 1 year the 775 will be considered an old technology and actually finding compatible components will become harder.

I normally don't upgrade that often. I mostly stay in Mainstream zone for maximum price to performance ratio. High end CPU and Motherboards only go in a performance zone which I normally don't touch.

Benchmarking in my case is irrelevant here. I stay happy as long as my actual work is done efficiently. If something can happen 1 second faster in theory than that's not worth the money.

Performance jump will not be that huge I know. Just out of curiosity :) .

Games are simply limited by GPU at HD resolutions so upgrading for games only is utter stupidity. I need opinion based on combined usage as described in the first post.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 27, 2010 3:23:42 PM

To be honest socket 775 is already long dead and the performance gains you'd get by upgrading your existing system won't really be worth the price.

For what you do I'd go socket 1366 now, drop in a highly overclocked 920 (or 930 if the price is the same as it's supposed to be) with some excellent cooling (i.e. Megahlems/Ultra 120 Extreme with dual 120mm fans) and enjoy for this year.

Then if/when your render times start to feel a bit long again, drop in the upcoming i7 970 6-core (the extreme edition 980X will never come down in price) and enjoy the performance increase, especially with overclocking it with the same cooling you already have.
March 27, 2010 4:20:37 PM

Best answer selected by NajamQ.
m
l
March 27, 2010 4:21:12 PM

LePhuronn said:
To be honest socket 775 is already long dead and the performance gains you'd get by upgrading your existing system won't really be worth the price.

For what you do I'd go socket 1366 now, drop in a highly overclocked 920 (or 930 if the price is the same as it's supposed to be) with some excellent cooling (i.e. Megahlems/Ultra 120 Extreme with dual 120mm fans) and enjoy for this year.

Then if/when your render times start to feel a bit long again, drop in the upcoming i7 970 6-core (the extreme edition 980X will never come down in price) and enjoy the performance increase, especially with overclocking it with the same cooling you already have.

Agreed. Thanks Everyone for feedback.
m
l
!