Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it worth to do sli still?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 8, 2012 6:45:10 AM

hey guys,

Im thinking about doing dual GTX670 or 680 for ultimate gaming, but the mobo that i choose can support only 1 card at the pcie 3.0 x16 , if i need to do sli which has to be dual x8 and i know this will half each card's performance, so i came up with a question "is this still wise to do sli or its not worth it?"

any help will be appreciated, thanks. :) 

More about : worth sli

a c 116 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 7:23:09 AM

hikoneko said:
hey guys,

Im thinking about doing dual GTX670 or 680 for ultimate gaming, but the mobo that i choose can support only 1 card at the pcie 3.0 x16 , if i need to do sli which has to be dual x8 and i know this will half each card's performance, so i came up with a question "is this still wise to do sli or its not worth it?"

any help will be appreciated, thanks. :) 

There is no noticeable difference between a card running at 3.0x16 and a card running at 3.0x8. Empirical benchmarks show a performance decrease of less than 1% which is within the margin of error. Even when the link width is reduced to 3.0x4, the performance decrease is still less than 3%

So yes, SLI is fine.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 8:23:58 AM

X8 is fine, its when the second slot puts you down to X4 or X1 that it becomes pointless
Go for it man :-)
Moto
Related resources
September 18, 2012 12:39:42 AM

Best answer selected by hikoneko.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 18, 2012 5:12:37 PM

Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help

Moto