How to Question: Audio output to HDTV through GTX 260

mcjeeves

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out the most cost efficient way to get video/audio from my PC setup to my HDTV.
I do not wish to change my GTX 260 graphics card nor my Gigabyte 965P-DS3P (Rev3.3) motherboard or any of my components for that matter due to budget.

My understanding so far is that i should be able to send audio/video through the following configuration:
Motherboard SPDIF out(internal)>GTX260spdif input>DIV/HDMI adapter>HDMIcable>HDTVinput
is this right?

If so, i believe my problem is that i do not have a SPDIF out (internal) pin connection present on my motherboard.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2455&ProductName=GA-965P-DS3P

In the past i have tried using the various I/O panel audio connections on the motherboard to take sound to seperate speakers/HDTV audio inputs - always without success. It's possible the audio connections are broken in someway or that my HDTV audio inputs are somehow just not compatable. I have only ever been able to get sound from the 6x audio jacks from the I/O panel through my X-Tatic 5.1 sourround sound headphones.

Am i right in thinking that the solution would be to purchase a sound card with an internal SPDIF pin out? new configuration:
Motherboard>Soundcard SPDIF out(internal)>GTX260spdif input>DIV/HDMI adapter>HDMIcable>HDTVinput

If so, can anyone recommend such a card?
Thanks for your time

Colin
Glasgow

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
According to the Gigabyte web site, you have both coax and optical S/PDIF outputs on your motherboard. They are located directly underneath your parallel port. If you have an A/V receiver, you would attach one of those ports to your receiver. The signal that is sent via S/PDIF is digital and must be decoded. Most TVs cannot decode this digital signal, which is why an A/V receiver is necessary if you decide you want to use S/PDIF.

Your Gigabyte motherboard manual also says you have an S/PDIF internal port but it does you little good since your video card does not accept it.

DVI ports normally do not send audio signals.

The alternative method of sending audio, as you have already discovered, is to use the (6) 1/8" audio ports.

If you look carefully on your gtx 260 I don't think you will find an s/pdif port on it. It is really not built to handle audio. This card is targeted more towards monitors, not TVs.

Your TV probably has RCA audio-in ports. You can connect these directly to your PC with an adapter cable that connects to your 1/8" Line Out port:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/adapters/rca-to-1-8-3-5mm-adapters/35-557/prod35557.html

mcjeeves

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Thanks for the quick response. I am reluctant to use an a/v reciever between the coax SPDIF output and the hdtv as it is yet another piece of equipment that will create clutter around the back of my system with additional cables and a power adapter.

If possible i am seeking for an internal solution for the PC. My GTX 260 does have an audio pin input in the side of the card and the card comes supplied with an SPDIF cable:
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=100025&lang=en

i will try to contact Zotac support directly to confirm if the purpose of this is to take audio from the mobo and transmit throught the DVI to HDMI along with the video.

DVI-D is a larger pinned set of DVI that can support an audio signal in addition to video. This is what i believe the card and DVI/HDMI adapter has

I am fairly certain that this is the case otherwise what would be the point in providing the SPDIF cable in the first place: I have looked at this extensively in the past and while some say it can't be done, others claim to have done so.

The Gigabyte m/board does have an SPDIF pin input header as you say but not one for output which is what i believe is what i need, hence why i thought that this is something a soundcard may have.

As its an internal solution it wouldn't require any more clutter of cables at the back

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
The spdif connectors under the parallel port are indeed output jacks, just like 99% of all other motherboards. The Gigabyte manual specifically references them as outputs. You can connect the optical out to your card using
http://www.gamejava.com/gigabyte-cb12cr11spd-3pin-spdif-cable-12cr11spdin01r-p-2124.html
and an SPDIF patch cable (a short SPDIF cable).

It's too bad the internal SPDIF 3-pin port is an input port instead of output. That would have made this a lot easier.