Your question

My new Gaming box build

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 7:35:47 PM
January 21, 2010 9:04:22 PM

Solid build. You might want to pick up a sleeving kit like this:

Thermaltake Black Sleeving Kit x 2.
6.99 Newegg

Storm Sniper has the built-in fan controller and from watching a few reviews the wiring harness looks like a beast.

Don't forget thermal grease either. The CM212 may come with some, but if not take your pick.
m
l
January 22, 2010 1:48:32 AM

Agreed. Solid build. That HSF does come with thermal grease.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2010 2:34:29 PM

The i5 is supposed to be stupid easy to OC (read: 3.2GHz with no adjustment of Vcore with Turbo still enabled) so the 212 will definitely do its job. If you want do so some extreme OC, then you want to start thinking about water cooling options. Here is an article discussing OCing the i5 for best performance/efficiency.
m
l
January 22, 2010 3:23:02 PM

rensai said:
Thanks guys. Any advice about overclocking with this build? I was thinking about maybe swapping the HSF for a liquid cooled option like the ORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - Retail or something along those lines.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it to bother with liquid cooling, given that a lot of air cooling can match (or beat) the performance of most consumer liquid cooling systems - and you don't run the risk of a leak and system death with your HSF. The Hyper 212+ is a great cooler, but if you're worried it isn't going to perform to your standards, the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler is pretty much the king of air cooling right now, so long as your case and RAM will accomodate the monster.

Otherwise, that build is hot. Pretty much identical to mine (last parts arriving on monday, eee!), except I went with the HAF 922 case.

Enjoy!
m
l
!