Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Inspiron
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Displays
January 15, 2010 4:55:09 PM

I need to be able to use 3 monitors with my computer. It is an inspiron-530(dell). I primarily use it for application, occasionally for video, and never for gaming. Is there a card that I can get that would allow me to do this?

More about : monitors inspiron 530

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 15, 2010 7:12:15 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-inspiron-530-desk...;rnav
according to this you only have 1 pcie and a 300w psu.

a hd 5670 supports 3 monitors however you will need an additional $100 active displayport to dvi/hdmi converter if you dont already have a displayport monitor.

m
l
January 15, 2010 7:49:35 PM

pocent said:
I need to be able to use 3 monitors with my computer. It is an inspiron-530(dell). I primarily use it for application, occasionally for video, and never for gaming. Is there a card that I can get that would allow me to do this?

ATI EYEFINITY is the answer my friend. Inspiron 530 has a 305 watt PSU. ATI series 5 needs 450 at least, get a 5 series & a better PSU.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 8:47:05 PM

paperfox said:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-inspiron-530-desk...;rnav
according to this you only have 1 pcie and a 300w psu.

a hd 5670 supports 3 monitors however you will need an additional $100 active displayport to dvi/hdmi converter if you dont already have a displayport monitor.

Will this allow me to use the three monitors as one large desktop, or some of the monitors be copy images.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 15, 2010 9:18:27 PM

all the screens can be set to eather mirror/clone or extended mode which allows you to have more desktop space.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 9:31:20 PM

pocent said:
Will this allow me to use the three monitors as one large desktop, or some of the monitors be copy images.

Maybe this will help.

m
l
January 16, 2010 12:56:46 AM

It can be done without Eyefinity. A simple pci, dual output video card in addition to what you already have will perform fine for 2D display. This way you'll be able to have three different applications open on each monitor. The video will most likely be able to play on only one monitor though, not across all three.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2010 11:55:40 AM

taso11 said:
It can be done without Eyefinity. A simple pci, dual output video card in addition to what you already have will perform fine for 2D display. This way you'll be able to have three different applications open on each monitor. The video will most likely be able to play on only one monitor though, not across all three.

well, the OP said this in his first post,

"I need to be able to use 3 monitors"

scene this ati eyefinity cards can use 3 monitors on 1 card, this makes it much better option than other cards.
m
l
January 19, 2010 3:35:36 AM

warmon6 said:
well, the OP said this in his first post,

"I need to be able to use 3 monitors"

scene this ati eyefinity cards can use 3 monitors on 1 card, this makes it much better option than other cards.

I understand what you are saying and it sounds like a viable option. But it's an expensive option since he needs the hd 5670, displayport adapter the other member mentioned and a power supply. I am going off of the information from previous post so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The way I understand what the OP wants 3 displays that aren't high performance 3d or high resolution except for the video he wants to display. If he is using onboard graphics he can buy a pci card made from the same manufacturer of his onboard graphics, Nvidia or ATI hopefully. I know Nvidia is a lot more flexible with this unless ATI has become less fussy recently. Then he can go into display manager and arrange his monitors how he likes. If he tries to use the pcie slot 9 times out of 10 it disables the onboard graphics and he'll need the Eyfinity option you recommended.

I don't mean to say my idea is better than others because they are all good. My way to skin the cat just comes out cheaper. If it were my rig it would be triple sli and Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital like on my gaming rig! :) 
m
l
January 19, 2010 5:24:17 PM

lol, i assume its the cost of the adaptor & the PSU togather then..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 10:53:44 AM

paperfox said:
The displayport adapter has to be an active one, the ones you linked are all passive and will not work with the 5000 series eyefinity.
This is the cheapest one that I know of:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/prod...
edit: spelling and link.

ah, i see.

Man some of thing im behind in graphics.
m
l