Sign in with
Your question

Advantages of an X58 over a P55 board?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2010 3:23:14 PM

Need help understanding what advantages an X58 board with an i7-930 has over say an i5-760 chip on a 1156 board?

In layman's terms please :D 

a c 236 V Motherboard
August 19, 2010 4:10:20 PM

We need to know what the uses of your system is going to be for, so we know how to address the advantages, if any.

Example:
  • Gaming - No Advantage Really
  • CS5 - Multi-threading CPU (8 virtual cores vs 4 virtual cores), Triple-Channel Memory (1.. Higher Bandwidth [though only a slight improvement], 2.. Large Memory Capacity on Motherboard)
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    August 19, 2010 4:14:23 PM

well basically, for desktop apps performance will be about the same, the advantages of x58 are

support for tripple channel memory unlike p55 which is dual

36 pci-e lanes for quadfire/sli whereas p55 only supports dual x8 so u can t do more than dual gpu config

those r the 2 major diffs
    m
    l
    Related resources
    Can't find your answer ? Ask !
    August 20, 2010 3:46:39 AM

tecmo34 said:
    We need to know what the uses of your system is going to be for, so we know how to address the advantages, if any.

Example:
  • Gaming - No Advantage Really
  • CS5 - Multi-threading CPU (8 virtual cores vs 4 virtual cores), Triple-Channel Memory (1.. Higher Bandwidth [though only a slight improvement], 2.. Large Memory Capacity on Motherboard)

• Games, software development, MS Apps, net, etc. I was able to get an i7930 chip from a friend for the cost of an i5 chip. I was not anticipating the extra costs of the mobo and memory so I'm trying to figure out my benefits of having an i7 chip and latest mobo is going to benefit me now or in the near future (2-3) years.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    August 20, 2010 11:34:58 AM

well, u can get a cheap x58 board around $150 and u can get a plain 4/3gb kit of ddr3
    m
    l
    !