Graphics card for dell dimension 8300

Omelet1992

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hello,
What is the best graphics card I can purchase for the money, for my dimension 8300? I also want to hook it up to my 55" Samsung.

Well that computer is pretty old but you can still find graphics cards for it. Your dell uses old AGP graphics which is no longer used but they are still sold new and you can get them on ebay. Your computer will be capable of playing 1080 HD content if you have a 2.4 ghz or higher Pentium 4 which from what i have found those were offered with that model up to a 3.06ghz P4.

I would try to find something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125281

They are pretty expensive IMO for that old tech but you can find them cheaper second hand on ebay. The one I listed will be perfect it has HDMI output and HDCP which will allow you to play HD content.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
The money you spend getting a new graphic card can go into a new desktop alone - from my experience with Dell - my 8300 was extremely slow compared to what I have now. I say you upgrade, I'd be surprised if you can play 480P content on a 55"

Minimum Configuration
(to play 720p video)

Windows XP
Windows Media Player 9 Series
2.4 GHz processor or equivalent
384 MB of RAM
64 MB video card
DVD drive
1024 x 768 screen resolution
16-bit sound card
Speakers

Optimum Configuration
(to play 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound)

Windows XP
Windows Media Player 9 Series
DirectX 9.0
3.0 GHz processor or equivalent
512 MB of RAM
128 MB video card
DVD drive
1920 x 1440 screen resolution
24-bit 96 kHz multichannel sound card
5.1 surround sound speaker system

These are straight from Microsoft website so depending on his processor he will have no problem playing 1080. Just because your dell was slow doesn't mean it cant do something it most likely needed a clean install or some tweaking. Also HD playback is off loaded to the GPU for the most part. A P4 is plenty of power for playing media content to a TV it does not require a super powerful system to do this. Not everyone has the resources to trash a computer and do total upgrades. If all the OP wants is to play video to his TV tell him how he can with what hes got I dont believe they asked if they should upgrade whole system alls they asked was for a video card to do what they want so if you dont have any input to that don't post.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

You should refer back to my post and read the part where I said putting your money towards a new desktop would do better. At no point in time did I say "Go buy a new computer", I suggested it, but in no shape or form pursued it in any other way. It is up to the user to do what he likes - and you posted MINIMUM configuration meaning LOW-GRADE/MEDIOCRE playback for 720P playback on a PC. And those specs are assuming you are running this on a standard monitor. He's using a 55" TV. The quality will look terrible, and it won't nearly play as smooth. It's the simple facts here, if you want to sugar coat it, be my guest.

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

He quoted me before saying now he was talking to both of us. Either way, Omelet, I hope all turns out well, playback on a 55" would be pretty nice. I hope this bump irons out for you!