Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Gateway
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2010 6:55:22 PM

Hi,I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card for my Gateway SX2800-01 with a high def 23" Gateway LCD monitor running 1920x1080.I want to do this to play Secondlife and run it as high as possible,graphics and frame rate,and to reduce lag and minimize packet loss.The closest I've found for a low profile card to do this is the"Sparkle-Geforce 9600 GT low profile".Is this a good option for Secondlife,and is it well suited for my computer? One concern being power supply.I have no problem upgrading power supply if thats needed and/or possible with this model.I'm pretty sure the current power supply is around 250w.And what about the difference between manufacturers Sparkle and Zotac?I've done some research but I'm not real knowledgable on the tech side of computers.This card seemed to be about the best for my needs,available slim line tower space,and price range.Any advice I can get would greatly appreciated.Thanks for your help.

More about : graphics card upgrade gateway sx2800

a c 189 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2010 6:56:29 AM

yeah, with that card maybe u can play secondlife with medium setting, since your case is slim line tower, i won't suggest any other card, u really lack of option there... :) 
m
l
January 16, 2010 7:16:08 AM

First tell us the brand of your CPU. If it is a good one(corsair,ocz, pc p&c etc) then 250 should do it.

Moreover, dont buy the low profile edition unless you absolutely dont want to miss 1 PCI slot. Low profile editions are clocked lower than the reference cards,and cost more. The only benefit is that the cooler is small enough and you wont loose a PCI slow due to the size of the card.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2010 3:09:48 PM

Godhatesusall said:
First tell us the brand of your CPU. If it is a good one(corsair,ocz, pc p&c etc) then 250 should do it.

Moreover, dont buy the low profile edition unless you absolutely dont want to miss 1 PCI slot. Low profile editions are clocked lower than the reference cards,and cost more. The only benefit is that the cooler is small enough and you wont loose a PCI slow due to the size of the card.

Think you meant PSU.
m
l
April 8, 2010 1:38:53 AM

The gateway sx2800-01 is a very good computer for its price...with all the features that it offers its a great deal.

I wanted to upgrade my gateway with a better graphics card to enable it to play games with really good graphics.
I play more racing games than others. I was unable to play shift, grid and street fighter IV using the integrated graphics
that the system came with. A descent graphics card will not fit in the case! luckily it had a PCIe slot. Since the graphics card will not fit and a bigger PSU is needed to power a good enough card comfortably, the only option was to transfer the contents into a new case.

Additional components purchased:

1. A 800 watt omega power supply (in case of future upgrades)

2. A Cooler Master Elite 360 computer case

3. A HIS Radeon HD 5670 1GB graphics card (Physx compatible)

4. 1 120mm and 1 80mm LED cooler master fans

TOTAL = $ 2000.00 TT (approx) parts will cost less in the U.S. (no shipping etc

The micro ATX mother board, power supply, HDD and DVD burner + fitted perfectly without modifications.
*Multi card reader required minor case modifications together with the Graphics card. Back plate is also required, can be acquired from original case.

Everything is runnimg smoothly so far.

1. Vista Home Prem. Service pack 2

2. All index scores are equal, 5.9.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/techjobs/
m
l
May 19, 2010 2:29:10 AM

Racedriverpro said:
The gateway sx2800-01 is a very good computer for its price...with all the features that it offers its a great deal.

I wanted to upgrade my gateway with a better graphics card to enable it to play games with really good graphics.
I play more racing games than others. I was unable to play shift, grid and street fighter IV using the integrated graphics
that the system came with. A descent graphics card will not fit in the case! luckily it had a PCIe slot. Since the graphics card will not fit and a bigger PSU is needed to power a good enough card comfortably, the only option was to transfer the contents into a new case.

The micro ATX mother board, power supply, HDD and DVD burner + fitted perfectly without modifications.
*Multi card reader required minor case modifications together with the Graphics card. Back plate is also required, can be acquired from original case.

m
l
May 19, 2010 2:36:50 AM

Racedriverpro said:

you transferred all the contents from the sx2800-01 into a different case right?...that type of computer sx2800-01?
m
l
May 19, 2010 5:00:16 PM

Racedriverpro said:

is that a mid tower case or a mini?
m
l
!