Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 750 compatable motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
March 27, 2010 6:57:19 PM

[/url]I am thinking of purchasing a I5 750. I am wondering what is a very good motherboard to go with it. I am willing to spend from 150-200 on a mobo, and am thinking of upgrading from XP to Win7. I am not a gamer, but when I surf the net or use programs, I want my *** to be fast. Is this a good enough cpu, or should I look at something else? I can get this cpu for 200, but thats at the top of my price range. Thanks Also, I would prefer to go with an Asus mobo. Is it a good idea to steer from xp and go with win7?
This is the mobo I am looking at:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Is this a good combo?

March 27, 2010 6:59:46 PM

rugman1969 said:
I am thinking of purchasing a I5 750. I am wondering what is a very good motherboard to go with it. I am willing to spend from 150-200 on a mobo, and am thinking of upgrading from XP to Win7. I am not a gamer, but when I surf the net or use programs, I want my *** to be fast. Is this a good enough cpu, or should I look at something else? I can get this cpu for 200, but thats at the top of my price range. Thanks

I would like to go with an Asus mobo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2010 10:25:12 PM

If you're not a gamer I wouldn't even go with an i5 - save some cash and get a Phenom II X4 and AM3 motherboard.

If you're not gaming, then what are you doing with your computer? The AM3 boards have onboard video, and you can look at the Clarkdale i3 and i5 processors and get a H55 motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 1:31:08 AM

LePhuronn said:
If you're not a gamer I wouldn't even go with an i5 - save some cash and get a Phenom II X4 and AM3 motherboard.

If you're not gaming, then what are you doing with your computer? The AM3 boards have onboard video, and you can look at the Clarkdale i3 and i5 processors and get a H55 motherboard.

WHAT are you talking about? If he's not a gamer? IF HE IS A GAMER TELL HIM TO BUY AMD. If he's NOT a gamer...perhaps he needs the power for other applications? Intel beats AMD in APPLICATIONS, not games.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 1:34:24 AM

rugman1969 said:
I am thinking of purchasing a I5 750. I am wondering what is a very good motherboard to go with it. I am willing to spend from 150-200 on a mobo, and am thinking of upgrading from XP to Win7. I am not a gamer, but when I surf the net or use programs, I want my *** to be fast. Is this a good enough cpu, or should I look at something else? I can get this cpu for 200, but thats at the top of my price range. Thanks Also, I would prefer to go with an Asus mobo. Is it a good idea to steer from xp and go with win7?
This is the mobo I am looking at:

Is this a good combo?

[/url]

That's a good combo. Buy it now, or a similar combination of hardware, and run from opposite advice.

The one thing LePhuronn said that DID make sense was that you might be able to get away with a Core i3. If you're running standard user-level applications, you probably don't need a true quad core. The i3 series is dual core and, if you really need a lot of speed on one or two CPU threads, overclocks easily.
m
l
March 28, 2010 4:05:05 AM

I will be using it for video and photo editring, while having multiple windows open, web surfing, etc...
m
l
March 28, 2010 4:07:24 AM

Crashman said:
That's a good combo. Buy it now, or a similar combination of hardware, and run from opposite advice.

The one thing LePhuronn said that DID make sense was that you might be able to get away with a Core i3. If you're running standard user-level applications, you probably don't need a true quad core. The i3 series is dual core and, if you really need a lot of speed on one or two CPU threads, overclocks easily.

I will be using it for video and photo editring, while having multiple windows open, web surfing, etc...
Also, I have a 450 watt pow supply, and am wondering if that would be enough? Also, how about the moving from XP to Win7? Is that a smart move? I love XP and have been using it for years, but know it's expected life cycle wil lbe coming soon. Then should I do retail or OEM? Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 5:38:31 AM

rugman1969 said:
Also, I have a 450 watt pow supply, and am wondering if that would be enough? Also, how about the moving from XP to Win7? Is that a smart move? I love XP and have been using it for years, but know it's expected life cycle wil lbe coming soon. Then should I do retail or OEM? Thanks

Whether or not you have enough power is more about graphics than CPU. 450W is certainly enough to run a moderately-fast graphics card and overclocked Core i5-750 plus a few drives and RAM, of course you'll want to make sure it's a high-quality power supply.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2010 11:58:37 AM

Crashman said:
WHAT are you talking about? If he's not a gamer? IF HE IS A GAMER TELL HIM TO BUY AMD. If he's NOT a gamer...perhaps he needs the power for other applications? Intel beats AMD in APPLICATIONS, not games.

OK chill out dude ffs no need to shout. I'm not going to TELL him to do anything, however I will suggest something once I know what his usage is. All he's said to this point is that he's not a gamer and he browses the web.

And if that's all he's doing then why waste the money on an Intel rig when a low-end AMD setup will do the job perfectly well - Intel doesn't make teh intarwebz any faster.

rugman1969 said:

Bingo! Exactly why I asked what he's doing with the system.

For photo and video editing Intel all the way. Core i5 750 with 4GB 1600MHz RAM is a safe bet straight away, however depending on how heavy-duty your work is you may even consider 8GB RAM, or even going the whole hog and getting an i7 930 with X58 motherboard.

As far as power supplies go, it really will depend on what your complete system will be. 450W PSU may well be enough, but unless it's from a trusted manufacturer like Corsair or Seasonic it may well not be up to the job.

And yes dump Windows XP and go Windows 7 for this new system. All this modern hardware will benefit greatly from a modern OS, and even with 4GB RAM I'd still recommend the 64-bit version.

As to retail or OEM? That's your call really. The OEM version will be tied to the specific machine you install it on and can't be transferred to another machine. The retail version however has no such restriction and can be installed on any machine you like - it's still a single-user license though so it's only one machine at a time.

One last thing. Crashman: if you really ARE a member of the Tom's team then I'd expect a little bit more civility and respect towards your user base, not the whole "what ARE you talking about" routine as if I'm some clueless n00b just because my post wasn't worded very well, or YOU just didn't understand it.
March 29, 2010 2:27:49 AM

Best answer selected by rugman1969.
m
l
March 29, 2010 2:33:34 AM

LePhuronn said:
OK chill out dude ffs no need to shout. I'm not going to TELL him to do anything, however I will suggest something once I know what his usage is. All he's said to this point is that he's not a gamer and he browses the web.

And if that's all he's doing then why waste the money on an Intel rig when a low-end AMD setup will do the job perfectly well - Intel doesn't make teh intarwebz any faster.

Bingo! Exactly why I asked what he's doing with the system.

For photo and video editing Intel all the way. Core i5 750 with 4GB 1600MHz RAM is a safe bet straight away, however depending on how heavy-duty your work is you may even consider 8GB RAM, or even going the whole hog and getting an i7 930 with X58 motherboard.

As far as power supplies go, it really will depend on what your complete system will be. 450W PSU may well be enough, but unless it's from a trusted manufacturer like Corsair or Seasonic it may well not be up to the job.

And yes dump Windows XP and go Windows 7 for this new system. All this modern hardware will benefit greatly from a modern OS, and even with 4GB RAM I'd still recommend the 64-bit version.

As to retail or OEM? That's your call really. The OEM version will be tied to the specific machine you install it on and can't be transferred to another machine. The retail version however has no such restriction and can be installed on any machine you like - it's still a single-user license though so it's only one machine at a time.

One last thing. Crashman: if you really ARE a member of the Tom's team then I'd expect a little bit more civility and respect towards your user base, not the whole "what ARE you talking about" routine as if I'm some clueless n00b just because my post wasn't worded very well, or YOU just didn't understand it.

Thanks for the info. YOu pretty much answered all of my questions. The editing is not so intensive, as it is a hobby, but I do edit a couple of things at a time sometimes, but I don't want to have to upgrade again for a while. As far as the power supply, this is the one I have:
Thermaltake PurePower 430-Watt Power Supply - ATX, Dual 80mm Fan, 20/24-Pin, SATA Ready, PCI-E Ready

Guess I'll have to replace the coolig fan also, since I have a Thermaltake / Silent 775D / Socket 775 / Copper Core / Copper Heatpipes / CPU Fan

m
l
March 29, 2010 3:43:06 AM

Any suggestions on a power supply? Shouldn't need anything higher than 600w
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 4:48:12 AM

LePhuronn said:

The only way to really get under my skin is to dole out bad advice, such as equating Intel with gaming and AMD with non-gaming. He said we browsing and applications, and also said he wanted the best performance for those things. Knowing that it's far more "correct" to tie Intel to applications and AMD to low-cost gaming, the only proper thing you mentioned was the i3 possiblity, which I actually commended in my previous comments.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 8:39:50 PM

Just looked up a review of that power supply and even if it was new it looks like it's a no-no:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332/9

Have a play with http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and choose a power supply from Corsair, Antec (not a Basiq though) or Seasonic accordingly (unless you fancy Googling some reviews to see what's out there - OCZ can be good). Bear in mind that PSUs tend to be at their most efficient around the 50%-75% load mark.

Personally I have a feeling the Corsair CX400 or VX550 would be more than enough for you.

Same probably can be said about your current heatsink - even if you could get a socket 1156 bracket (let's assume you're going with that i5-750) I'm not sure it'd be up to the job of cooling a Core i5 - them there Nehalem chips are warm lil buggers.

Grab a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ they're cheap enough and are highly regarded for effective budget cooling.

Crashman said:
The only way to really get under my skin is to dole out bad advice, such as equating Intel with gaming and AMD with non-gaming. He said we browsing and applications, and also said he wanted the best performance for those things. Knowing that it's far more "correct" to tie Intel to applications and AMD to low-cost gaming, the only proper thing you mentioned was the i3 possiblity, which I actually commended in my previous comments.

Y'know I'm not gonna get into this except for this closing comment: nowhere until I directly asked him did he say anything about applications or overall system usage - are you honestly saying based on that lack of information you'd have said "well if you're not gaming go Intel"? That sounds just like the bad advice you say gets your back up - Athlon II X2 would be more than sufficient for reasonably heavy Office use, for example, so there's no immediate reason to go Intel there either.

Equating Intel with gaming is "wrong"? I'll remember to buy a Phenom II X4 when I build my dual 5970 gaming rig with triple 30" Eyefinity displays. A computer is a tool, and tools should be best fit for purpose, and I'm sorry but there's nothing "wrong" about gaming on an Intel or applications on an AMD if they are fit for purpose - pigeon-holeing any manufacturer into specific categories is verging on fanboiism and far worse advice than merely overspeccing a rig.

At the end of the day, the OP is happy, his usage came out in the end and I felt better informed to advise.

End of. Close the thread.
m
l
!