Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper Evo 212 Loud Fan

Last response: in Overclocking
September 8, 2012 9:05:11 PM

I just built my first PC with only a few issues, but the main problem I'm having is that the Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 fan is quite loud. Every time I start up my PC, the fan is loud, even when I haven't loaded and programs. How loud is it supposed to be, because I heard it's supposed to be quite.

Thanks,
Feriscool. :/ 

More about : hyper evo 212 loud fan

a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 9:26:46 PM

Loud as in loud or loud as in wire hitting the blades? I have a 212+, I can't hear its fan.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:30:26 PM

4745454b said:
Loud as in loud or loud as in wire hitting the blades? I have a 212+, I can't hear its fan.

Loud as in loud. It's not super loud, it's just moderately loud, which I wasn't expecting, especially since I haven't opened any programs, games, etc.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 9:34:56 PM

Dunno. I have the 212+ and can't hear it. I can't really "hear" any of my fans. I can sometimes hear the GTX460s fan. The 3 or 4 fans in my Antec 300 sure do produce a steady hum, but nothing I consider to be "loud". I even sleep in the same room.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:35:58 PM

Anyone else find that the Evo 212 is somewhat loud?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 9:36:22 PM

Can you give us your full system specs including the case and its cooling setup? Also, you could check in your BIOS to see the temperatures and RPM. Check if its RPM is within its specified RPM. The Evo should be quieter than the Plus.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:52:30 PM

blazorthon said:
Can you give us your full system specs including the case and its cooling setup? Also, you could check in your BIOS to see the temperatures and RPM. Check if its RPM is within its specified RPM. The Evo should be quieter than the Plus.

The Evo 212 is spinning at 1,849 RPM after only starting up the computer and opening firefox. The rest of my specs are:

i7-3770k
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard
16.0GB RAM
corsair carbide series 500r
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 10:00:51 PM

Have a look at the fan. Does it look damaged in any way? Is the fan obstructed in any way (IE something blocking airflow on either side of the cooler, even if only slightly)? Also, can you describe the noise? Is it abnormal in any way other than how loud it is?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 10:02:26 PM

What are your CPU temps?
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:04:04 PM

blazorthon said:
Have a look at the fan. Does it look damaged in any way? Is the fan obstructed in any way (IE something blocking airflow on either side of the cooler, even if only slightly)? Also, can you describe the noise? Is it abnormal in any way other than how loud it is?

It doesn't looked damaged. The fan is a little obstructed by the RAM, but only by MAYBE a millimeter. The noise sounds like a normal fan, just spinning really quickly. And since it's spinning quickly, it's fairly loud. I believe the Evo 212 only goes up to 2,000 RPM, and mine sits at 1,800 RPM after I only startup.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 10:04:23 PM

Going from memory I don't think its supposed to be spinning that fast. I think normal idle should be around 1k, with most of the time being spent around 1.2 or 1.4k. Nearly 2k sounds like its at max all the time. bios issue? Something needs to bring the fan down...
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:06:28 PM

blazorthon said:
What are your CPU temps?

Average:
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 10:11:02 PM

Your CPU temps are high. I don't think that even Ivy Bridge i7s should be that hot with that cooler unless you're running a high overclock. You could try re-seating your cooler and with some new paste too.
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:15:10 PM

blazorthon said:
Your CPU temps are high. I don't think that even Ivy Bridge i7s should be that hot with that cooler unless you're running a high overclock. You could try re-seating your cooler and with some new paste too.

In another thread, you said they were quite normal:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/335108-28-3770k-temp-...
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:19:28 PM

These were default settings in the ASRock control panel for the fan speeds:

Should I change anything?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 10:27:06 PM

Wait, nvm, I wasn't looking at them properly. They are proper. Messed up Celsius/Fahrenheit :( 

You could increase your target temperature and make the fan RPM less aggressive. Just to be safe, what temps do you hit under a stress test?
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:30:14 PM

blazorthon said:
Wait, nvm, I wasn't looking at them properly. They are proper. Messed up Celsius/Fahrenheit :( 

You could increase your target temperature and make the fan RPM less aggressive. Just to be safe, what temps do you hit under a stress test?

That's one thing I'm confused about. I changed the settings to level 2/3 so the fan is super quiet right now, but I don't know what they mean by "Target Temperature". Why would I want to choose a target temperature? If the CPU gets hotter, does the fan automatically spin faster or does it stick to my settings?

Also, how do I run a stress test?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 10:56:48 PM

Stress test being Prime95 or something similarly intense.

Target temperature is just what you want your machine to try to be close too. If you set it higher, the cooling should let up a little and reduce noise generation. If the CPU works harder and starts generating more heat, then the cooling system tries to compensate by increasing cooling in an attempt to stay around your target temperature.
September 8, 2012 10:57:30 PM

blazorthon said:
Stress test being Prime95 or something similarly intense.

Target temperature is just what you want your machine to try to be close too. If you set it higher, the cooling should let up a little and reduce noise generation. If the CPU works harder and starts generating more heat, then the cooling system tries to compensate by increasing cooling in an attempt to stay around your target temperature.

Oh okay, so if I have my settings like this, should it be sufficient?

m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2012 11:05:24 PM

It should be fine. I've read that Ivy Bridge should be fine so long as you keep it from breaking 90-100C.
m
l
September 8, 2012 11:30:54 PM

Best answer selected by Feriscool.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2012 8:32:22 AM

??? I can't remember a recent Intel CPU that accepts anything hotter then 75c. 90C is much to high.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2012 3:29:35 PM

Ivy is built to handle a lot of heat (it's also built to get very hot because of its crap paste).
m
l
!