Compaq 1800T laptop with integrated ethernet port

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 30, 2004 1:03:46 PM

I have just purchased a used 1800T that has a on board ethernet port
but it does not seem to work. I can use a ethernet pc card and then
the networking works fine

I am running windows XP pro, in the device manager the only network
device shown is the ethernet pc card. If I remove the card then no
network devices are shown.

Maybe there is a driver I need to load or a bios setting I need to
change?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2004 3:35:25 AM

your name <xt225_92@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have just purchased a used 1800T that has a on board ethernet port
> but it does not seem to work. I can use a ethernet pc card and then
> the networking works fine

The fact that it has an ethernet PORT is not proof that it has an ethernet
CARD installed. Which model 1800T is this?

Unfortunately, on the 1800T, you have to open up the unit to check if the
card is present and properly installed.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/pdf/c00000642....

--
Regards,

James

July 31, 2004 12:45:30 PM

It is an older model.. model number 1456VQLIN, 400 Mhz celeron. I
thought if the card is not installed the port would be blocked via a
plastic block off plate.

I have to get a T-8 star bit to open up the case to see what I have.
Assuming that the card is installed, is there anything else that may
cause the network card not to be recognized?

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message news:<1XAOc.896$QA5.814@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...
> your name <xt225_92@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have just purchased a used 1800T that has a on board ethernet port
> > but it does not seem to work. I can use a ethernet pc card and then
> > the networking works fine
>
> The fact that it has an ethernet PORT is not proof that it has an ethernet
> CARD installed. Which model 1800T is this?
>
> Unfortunately, on the 1800T, you have to open up the unit to check if the
> card is present and properly installed.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/pdf/c00000642....
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 6:58:27 PM

Ash <abburns@ingr.com> wrote:
> It is an older model.. model number 1456VQLIN, 400 Mhz celeron. I
> thought if the card is not installed the port would be blocked via a
> plastic block off plate.

Yes, but that's easily removed.

> I have to get a T-8 star bit to open up the case to see what I have.
> Assuming that the card is installed, is there anything else that may
> cause the network card not to be recognized?

Reseat card.

Dead card.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 9:39:11 AM

I took the cover off the laptop and sure enough, no network card.
There is a modem card and it looks like there is not even room for a
network card.

Thanks for the help.

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message news:<ny7Pc.6877$Je5.2383@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
> Ash <abburns@ingr.com> wrote:
> > It is an older model.. model number 1456VQLIN, 400 Mhz celeron. I
> > thought if the card is not installed the port would be blocked via a
> > plastic block off plate.
>
> Yes, but that's easily removed.
>
> > I have to get a T-8 star bit to open up the case to see what I have.
> > Assuming that the card is installed, is there anything else that may
> > cause the network card not to be recognized?
>
> Reseat card.
>
> Dead card.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 2:09:13 PM

> your namewrote:
I took the cover off the laptop and sure enough, no network card.
> There is a modem card and it looks like there is not even room for
> network card.
The NIC is a separate daughtercard that mounts immediately in front of
the modem daughtercard. Check eBay for one from a parts machine,
although I doubt you'll have much success as it's a proprietary
Compaq part.

==============
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 10:17:30 PM

your name wrote:
> I took the cover off the laptop and sure enough, no network card.
> There is a modem card and it looks like there is not even room for a
> network card.

Here's a picture of where it goes FYI:
http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/1800t-1825/ne...

If you look around the PCMCIA NIC cards are going for $20 or less.
--

Mike Russell
www.geigy.2y.net

> Barry Watzmanwrote:
What you describe is not uncommon. In this situation, mini-PCI cards

> are made that contain a modem only, but a "combo" card is also made
that
> has both a modem and an Ethernet NIC on the same card. If they want
> offer both functions, they use the combo card, if they want to offer

> only the modem, they use the modem-only card. You should be able to

> find a combo card on E-Bay or elsewhere, the biggest compatability
> issues are physical (size and connectors).
Not in this instance Barry. It's not a single or combo mini-PCI card
on this model, there are separate daughtercards for the modem and
NIC.

a b D Laptop
August 4, 2004 5:18:38 AM

What you describe is not uncommon. In this situation, mini-PCI cards
are made that contain a modem only, but a "combo" card is also made that
has both a modem and an Ethernet NIC on the same card. If they want to

!