Motherboard Stuck On Blue Screens. Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3

rexdale_punjabi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hello, I have been having a problem recently with this new build.

Gigabyte p67a-ud4-b3
Core i5 2500k
EVGA FPB GTX 560 Ti
8 gig g skill ripjaw 1066 ddr3
ultra x4 850 w psu
raven 3 case + case fans

The problem is upon starting off the build, everything was fine (for a day) since yesterday I noticed that the hard drive, a blue wd caviar 320 gig was running slow so I decided to reboot and run chkdsk (it was making noise too)

Since then, I have been unable to get back into windows.

If I try to reinstall windows from a usb or cd it gives me a cd/dvd driver not found error, and doesn't detect the hdd.

I tried with 1 stick of ram, bios settings etc. I tried bare bones to see if it was psu but still no luck.

I even tried a verified working windows hdd with the computer and I got an immediate bsod but it was too fast to write down error.

I also tried putting the other black wd caviar 320 gig in another comp, installing win7 64 bit and putting in this one; bsod again.

This was also to verify that my install usb was working fine.

I did try to oc the cpu but I never went past 1.34 v(it set it to auto for some reason I lowered immediately) and 4.4ghz it was kind of un-stable; I think I got a bsod so I lowered it to 4.3 and it was running perfectly until this started happening.

The cpu is running at 3.3 ghz now and upon reading, I tried to install with ide mode, upping vtt to 1.2 playing with dram frequency, etc. to no luck.

I have tried sfc and chkdsk on hdds and some times it find error some times it doesn't but it changes nothing.

Is it time to rma the motherboard?

Please Help. I can't find anything on the internet I've spent hours trying to fix on my own.

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi Rexdale_Punjabi, OK where to start!!!!

Firstly, from your post, it seems clear to me the initial problem is with the WD Caviar blue - the noise it was making, was it a clicking sound? If so it was, and is, on its last legs, if you hear any clicking noise from a mechanical hdd its going to die!!!

Secondly, you CANNOT install a OS on another motherboard and place that hdd on ANOTHER MOTHERBOARD and expect it to boot!!!!
Even within the same chipset family this is a dodgy situation.

I would clear cmos, do no overclocking and only use 2 sticks of ram for now. Use the WD Caviar black to install, and make certain that the hdd is recognized in bios before you start the install from USB.

Are the hdd sata or ide, check the correct drive access mode is selected in bios as well.

Once the hdd is recognized in bios your good to go. Once you can install OS successfully, then power down and insert your other sticks of ram to see if boots and loads OS correctly.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

PS, have you got the latest bios from your motherboard manufacturer?, you may want to check to see if a later version is available and if so, what errors if any it corrects.

rexdale_punjabi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

lol, thnx. It turns out it was the standoffs; took out the extra after I realized that it was something inside the case because it started working on cardboard the second time. I did a smart test and all that; the hdds are fine :p Here comes an ssd thanks for all the help.

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi Rexdale_Punjabi, LOL :)

Glad you sorted out problem, standoff shorting out motherboard and causing hdd not to be recognized!!!!!! Well, i live and learn, thanks for update.

Good luck :)

rahulagni

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
I have managed to solve this problem, fortunately !

The problem was far more mundane - keyboard. After removing the (PS/2) keyboard, the system booted up so obviously, the problem was with the keyboard :)