Solved

"1066 by AM2+/AM3 CPU" - what does this mean?

I'm switching from Intel to AMD, but I can't quite afford to make the jump to DDR3 yet.

I've got 4 sticks of DDR2 800 RAM. Finally decided on a motherboard, but it includes the above phrase.

Does "1066 by AM2+/AM3 CPU" mean that I can't use anything else with AM2+/AM3 processors?

It's been too long since I've had to mess with my frankenbuild this much.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1066 mean
  1. Link the motherboard and we shall answer your question.
  2. jonpaul37 said:
    Link the motherboard and we shall answer your question.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=429

It's that one.

Also, I appreciate your help ^_^
  3. Best answer
    The ddr2-800 should be fine, but it doe's suggest to use ddr2-1066 and also CPU info?
  4. If ur gonna use AM2+/AM3 processor you will probably have to install DDR2 1066, looking at the board you posted.
  5. I intend on using a Phenom II x4 945.

Are you sure? Others have been telling me that it means the 1066 RAM won't work with anything but AM2+/AM3 processors.
  6. Read the feedback on this page, you will surely find your answer there...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138168
  7. Your still gonna be able to use ddr2 1066 i just think it might not run @ 1066 though nt 100% sure you would be best installing DDR3 Ram normally works better with the 945 but also supports socket AM2+ and DDR2. a change of mb would be good.
  8. The reason I went with a DDR2 motherboard is because:
    a. Had 8GB of DDR2 already
    b. Extremely limited budget

I went with that particular MB because Newegg happened to have a sale on it for $30 (open box of course). That fit the budget.

For future reference, you can use any type of RAM listed with any combination of CPU (assuming it's compatible with that mobo) - however, 1066 DDR2 RAM will ONLY work if you use an AM3 processor.
  9. Best answer selected by Cokehead.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory CPUs Product