Does this computer really worth $ 5.000

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 12:10:30 AM

Hello All,

Thanks in advance for the help.

A little background before I start...

I have a good friend of mine who is in kind of a financial trouble. He currently owns me $ 5.000 but he's really short on money and then he offered me his computer to settle the debt, but I really don't know if his computer really worth that much. I know that he really likes computers and he usually goes for the high end stuff, but when it comes down to health and money I feel better having a second opinion.

Since I don't know one third of the stuff that he had shown me, he indicated this site where I could post a thread to you guys and get your opinion on his PC, since this is an PC experts site.

According to him, here are the specifications of his machine. (sorry if I type something that does not make sense...)

INTEL I7 920 PROCESSOR
MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
12 GB OF DDR3 RAM OCZ GOLD
TWO BFG GEFORCE GTX275 IN SLI
ONE BFG GEFORCE 8800GT PHYSX
CREATIVE X-FI FATALITY EDITION SOUND CARD
ONE SSD OCZ VERTEX 60 GB FOR OS
TWO VELOCIRAPTORS 300GB IN RAID-0 FOR PROGRAMS
TWO SEAGATES 7200.10 500 GB IN RAID-0 FOR PERSONAL FILES
ONE WD EXTERNAL 1.5 TB FOR BACKUP
ONE DVD RW SAMSUNG INTERNAL
CORSAIR H50 HSF
COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 CASE
TWO NOCTUA FANS 80MM
TWO SCYTHE FANS 150MM
CORSAIR HX 1000 PSU
ONE VIEWSONIC 3D MONITOR 22"
ONE DELL 24" MONITOR
NVIDIA 3D VISION GLASSES KIT
RAZER LYCOSA KEYBOARD
RAZER MAMBA WIRELESS MOUSE
ONE XBOX 360 WIRELESS ADAPTOR WITH WIRELESS CONTROLLER
LOGITECH FUSION WEBCAM
EDIFIER 2.1 SPEAKER SET
ONE HP PRINTER MODEL C6280
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM RETAIL

I've seen his computer in person and it's really amazing and well built (as far I can say). It's faster than any other that I have used and the two screens seems nice and big. He demostrated the 3D glasses and it's really impressive.

Since if I accept the offer this computer will go to mostly to my son, I took him with me to check it. He said it was the fastest computer he'd seen and it was very happy with it, but he's only 12 years old...

I also went to Best Buy to see some other computers (just to have an idea), and I could not find anything at this price level. Honestly the most expensive stuff that I could see was some notebooks at about $ 2.000 and some iMacs at about $ 2.500. It seems that my friend's computer is better than any of that, but I just don't understand yet why it would cost so much and what this computer can do that the others can't (other than the 3D stuff and things like 2 monitors...)

Can you guys tell me if my friend is offering something fair or not? I don't think he would cheat on this but since he's short on money it's hard to say.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

James

More about : computer worth 000

January 22, 2010 12:23:47 AM

I ain't particularly good at estimation... but that looks to me to be somewhere around 3000-3250$. I would wait for someone more knowlegable to run through it with you.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 12:30:50 AM

Have your son go to newegg.com and build a wish list with all of these components. Almost all of them are available on newegg--and you will be able to easily total them. (i just suggest him for free labor)

I expect that he may have spent that much to build this--but honestly I don't think there are any programs or games available today that would need this sort of power. The most demanding games available today could be maxed out on a $1500 PC.

Your friend obviously cares a lot about computers--so this awesome rig means something to him, but I don't think it would be worth 5k to your family who doesn't have his intense passion for computers.
The value of computers decline quickly--in three years this rig will be worth very little. Only very passionate people are willing to pay so much to have top of the line components.

I would suggest you see if he can sell it and give you money instead. Then you can buy a good $1000 computer for your kid and keep the rest--even if he only gets 4500 it would be worth it.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2010 12:41:46 AM

If you wish to get a Crysis eater then it would cost you about 4k, if you wish to be sure go to Newegg and assemble the rig of your dreams... if you need help just tell me...
I'm saving up some money and when i get around 5k i think i'll think of building my new rig. So i guess we're on the same situation and i've already planned my possible rig (let alone the fact of WHEN i am going to build because i'd rather wait for PCIE 3.0, a new nvidia chipset, and Fermi)
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:43:51 AM

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance for the help.

A little background before I start...

I have a good friend of mine who is in kind of a financial trouble. He currently owns me $ 5.000 but he's really short on money and then he offered me his computer to settle the debt, but I really don't know if his computer really worth that much. I know that he really likes computers and he usually goes for the high end stuff, but when it comes down to health and money I feel better having a second opinion.

Since I don't know one third of the stuff that he had shown me, he indicated this site where I could post a thread to you guys and get your opinion on his PC, since this is an PC experts site.

According to him, here are the specifications of his machine. (sorry if I type something that does not make sense...)

INTEL I7 920 PROCESSOR
MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
12 GB OF DDR3 RAM OCZ GOLD
TWO BFG GEFORCE GTX275 IN SLI
ONE BFG GEFORCE 8800GT PHYSX
CREATIVE X-FI FATALITY EDITION SOUND CARD
ONE SSD OCZ VERTEX 60 GB FOR OS
TWO VELOCIRAPTORS 300GB IN RAID-0 FOR PROGRAMS
TWO SEAGATES 7200.10 500 GB IN RAID-0 FOR PERSONAL FILES
ONE WD EXTERNAL 1.5 TB FOR BACKUP
ONE DVD RW SAMSUNG INTERNAL
CORSAIR H50 HSF
COOLERMASTER COSMOS 1000 CASE
TWO NOCTUA FANS 80MM
TWO SCYTHE FANS 150MM
CORSAIR HX 1000 PSU
ONE VIEWSONIC 3D MONITOR 22"
ONE DELL 24" MONITOR
NVIDIA 3D VISION GLASSES KIT
RAZER LYCOSA KEYBOARD
RAZER MAMBA WIRELESS MOUSE
ONE XBOX 360 WIRELESS ADAPTOR WITH WIRELESS CONTROLLER
LOGITECH FUSION WEBCAM
EDIFIER 2.1 SPEAKER SET
ONE HP PRINTER MODEL C6280
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM RETAIL

I've seen his computer in person and it's really amazing and well built (as far I can say). It's faster than any other that I have used and the two screens seems nice and big. He demostrated the 3D glasses and it's really impressive.

Since if I accept the offer this computer will go to mostly to my son, I took him with me to check it. He said it was the fastest computer he'd seen and it was very happy with it, but he's only 12 years old...

I also went to Best Buy to see some other computers (just to have an idea), and I could not find anything at this price level. Honestly the most expensive stuff that I could see was some notebooks at about $ 2.000 and some iMacs at about $ 2.500. It seems that my friend's computer is better than any of that, but I just don't understand yet why it would cost so much and what this computer can do that the others can't (other than the 3D stuff and things like 2 monitors...)

Can you guys tell me if my friend is offering something fair or not? I don't think he would cheat on this but since he's short on money it's hard to say.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

James

Way Way overpriced.
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:44:20 AM

its a good computer, but definitely not worth 5000$. if you can build your own, great...if you want to buy, buy from digitalstorm.com, or ibuypower.com. the i7 is great, the motherboard is good, but a little outdated, 12 gigs of ram is so unecessary, and there are better sets anyway, 2 275s are outdated (a 5970...about same prices, would DESTROY) but a 5870 is more than you need. the physx is understandable, the ssd is pretty good, the raptors in raid 0 for storage is dumb now, buy a f3 1 tb, and you get way more security, 400 GB more, costs 400$ less, and about the same speed. the seagates, same thing, raid 0 isnt really good for files, since if one breaks ( :lol:  with the 7200.10 good luck not breaking them) all you info is gone, so once again raid 1 a f3, or just get 1. all the other hdds are not needed, just get a good ssd, and a raid ( 0, 1, 10, 01, or 5) for the f3 1 tb, and that would be better. the cooler is good, the psu is one of the best, but there are some better ones, which wouldnt cost you 5000$. the monitors are fine, keyboard and mouse are a bit much for a kid (have to recharge them a lot) and everything else is fine. so basically, its a great computer, but now a days, much better can be bought for less, and it is much cheaper and better if you dont get a 3d set, since then you have to get nvidia, which happens to be a little (lot) behind right now...if you can take my word for it (lol its a lot of items) i basically went on a site with parts (newegg) and configurated a build for you...and it was better in some aspects, but much more balanced, and it cost about 3300$...so, i personally wouldnt buy it, but it is a very good computer...also, this is better than both, and it costs 4700$

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=...

that one is amazing, (idk if it shows up customized) but 5000$ for that is far too much, idk if even the parts cost that much. sorry for the long post, and wish your friend good luck :) 

m
l
January 22, 2010 12:57:33 AM

By the way it would be better for you to buy the parts from Newegg or any store and assemble it YOURSELF, because that's way cheaper, so you'll get more for your money
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:58:28 AM

Doing a quick run through of the prices on Newegg comes up around $4600 give or take but that is all new and you can never get retail prices for a used system !! - IF your feeling generous I'd say it was worth around $3000 -$3500 toward a debt (as I say if your feeling generous and the son can use it !) but definitely not $5000 worth esp since newer faster parts are available now (in fact he would probably wind up with a much better system building a new one for himself after giving you that one !!

It is definitely a nice system and all but computers do not maintain their value for long and if you ever try to resell it you'll be lucky to get $2000 for it (since most enthusiasts would rather build there own and use new parts vs. buying one that has been used - since half the fun is building it in the first place !) and normal users would not see the value in a system like that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 1:11:31 AM

I think some of you guys are missing the point. He doesnt want a $5,000 computer. Hes asking if he should take one as a debt repayment.

My answer is no--because he has no need for a system that powerful.
m
l
January 22, 2010 1:30:52 AM

deadlockedworld said:
I think some of you guys are missing the point. He doesnt want a $5,000 computer. Hes asking if he should take one as a debt repayment.

My answer is no--because he has no need for a system that powerful.

I agree completely - If he is feeling generous he could always give him say $3000 for it as partial repayment for the debt and perhaps give him a certain Timeframe that he could rebuy it for that $3000 in cash but for full payment on a $5000 debt it is not a good idea (unless he was family and even then I'd have to think about it !!)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 1:32:44 AM

No computer is worth that much. Macs are simply way overpriced, and laptops are expensive just because they have to be proprietary and small.

If you want it just to be able to call it even that's one thing but it would really have to go to someone who can really appreciate it, in order to consider this. Based on what's said I don't know if your son would truly appreciate it versus a $700-800 AMD system with a SSD.

I for one volunteer myself for someone who would truly appreciate it, heheh.
m
l
January 22, 2010 1:45:12 AM

Looks like he tends to waste money on a lot of useless items, but that aside I'd say his system is worth about $3,100

Also ask him about:

"TWO BFG GEFORCE GTX275 IN SLI "

see if he means 285s or 295s because a 275 is a physX card and he's already got a 8800 doing that.
m
l
January 22, 2010 1:47:45 AM

-Well that computer if all the parts are bought new right now would be worth between 4-4.5K from sites like newegg, tigerdirect...etc

-This computer isn't a computer, its more of a high-end enterntainment workstation because it has all acessories you could every need with high end stuff and has a really good computer.

-This computer can handle serious games at really higher resolutions and overall be good all around for many applications. Whether you need it or not is up for you to decide.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 1:59:59 AM

Wow! Thank you guys!

I never thought I would receive so many replies in such a short time!

Deadlockedworld hit the nail on the head perfectly. It was exactly the same feeling that I had.

I just got an email from my friend with some of the receipts of the parts that he bought. It seems he has been building this computer for 1 1/2 year and I could verify nearly all the $ 5000 he spent it's there. He is still looking for the remainder of the receipts, but from what I've seen he may have spent that much or even more.

I understand that today I could probably buy a better computer with the same money (since technology advances faster than light) and there's too much power in this computer that I'll ever use, but in all honesty I fell sorry for my friend and when I try to put myself in shoes I understand better what he is trying to do.

From what I could get from you guys, it seems it's a very powerful PC, where most likely neither I or my son will be able to fully utilize it as my friend does and something around 3500-4000 would be more in line with the current market.

I liked the idea from JDFan and I'll propose that to him. Maybe he will like it too...

I don't know what hurts me more.. If it's the fact that my friend is in trouble or the fact that he is willing to "give" one of the things that he likes the most and he will need the most too to help him go through this tough time. Unfortunately I won't share with you details of what happened to my friend since it's a lot of personal stuff and I don't want to make anybody sad this night, but I can say that it breaks my heart.

Actually, as I was typing this reply, I came to the conclusion that I will help him in a different way... Money I can earn, friends like him I cannot loose. I'll tell him that he can keep his PC until he finds another job and, once he has stabilized again he can pay me back. If, for whatever reason things get worse or change, I'll take his computer to settle the debt, even knowing that I would loose some money in the deal. If that unfortunately happens, at least I won't have to buy another computer for some 4 years and my son will be happy playing with that monster.

That will make me feel a lot better and, if the situation the inverse, I believe he would have done it the same for me....

But thanks once more guys for all thoughts!

Have a good night,

James
m
l
January 22, 2010 2:07:12 AM

That's probably the best solution if he is a good friend and you can afford to wait for repayment !! - Since you'd never really get the full enjoyment from the system like he will and I'm sure everyone will feel better that way. (At least you know he was willing to give it up to repay you even though it is probably one of his prize possesion so if you do let him keep it I'm pretty sure when things do improve he'll do his best to repay you !)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 3:16:54 AM

Hey James,

I think the "layaway" option is a good one. You could take the computer temporarily and give it back when he pays you. As a fellow gamer, I'm betting he will be more productive without the computer around anyhow...
(This computer does make make awesome collateral--the idea of it depreciating in value will make him work hard to get it back)

Another idea that could be used with the above (or separately) is to have him repay part by building your son a sweet $700ish gaming computer. This will allow him to labor toward the money while taking advantage of his obvious tech skill. (After teasing your son with this awesome thing you will probably have to get him something anyway.)
m
l
January 22, 2010 5:40:37 PM

Quote:
Wow! Thank you guys!

I never thought I would receive so many replies in such a short time!

Deadlockedworld hit the nail on the head perfectly. It was exactly the same feeling that I had.

I just got an email from my friend with some of the receipts of the parts that he bought. It seems he has been building this computer for 1 1/2 year and I could verify nearly all the $ 5000 he spent it's there. He is still looking for the remainder of the receipts, but from what I've seen he may have spent that much or even more.

I understand that today I could probably buy a better computer with the same money (since technology advances faster than light) and there's too much power in this computer that I'll ever use, but in all honesty I fell sorry for my friend and when I try to put myself in shoes I understand better what he is trying to do.

From what I could get from you guys, it seems it's a very powerful PC, where most likely neither I or my son will be able to fully utilize it as my friend does and something around 3500-4000 would be more in line with the current market.

I liked the idea from JDFan and I'll propose that to him. Maybe he will like it too...

I don't know what hurts me more.. If it's the fact that my friend is in trouble or the fact that he is willing to "give" one of the things that he likes the most and he will need the most too to help him go through this tough time. Unfortunately I won't share with you details of what happened to my friend since it's a lot of personal stuff and I don't want to make anybody sad this night, but I can say that it breaks my heart.

Actually, as I was typing this reply, I came to the conclusion that I will help him in a different way... Money I can earn, friends like him I cannot loose. I'll tell him that he can keep his PC until he finds another job and, once he has stabilized again he can pay me back. If, for whatever reason things get worse or change, I'll take his computer to settle the debt, even knowing that I would loose some money in the deal. If that unfortunately happens, at least I won't have to buy another computer for some 4 years and my son will be happy playing with that monster.

That will make me feel a lot better and, if the situation the inverse, I believe he would have done it the same for me....

But thanks once more guys for all thoughts!

Have a good night,

James
Good friends are hard to come by. He is lucky to have a friend who realizes that there are more important things in life then money
m
l
!