Your opinions Please

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi
I have two questions:
1) in you opinion which system will be better in terms of internet surfing, watching dvds and general stuff. No gaming and graphics works:
system A
core i7 920
MSI x58 pro-e
Hynix 1gb ddr 3 1066
32mb geforce 2 mx 200 PCI vga card ( I know this Sucks)

System B
Its a laptop following are the specs:
core 2 duo T5500 1.66ghz
2gb DDR 2 667
Intel x3100 VGA card

My second question is:
2) Suppose i run system A, can a generic psu run the system, without burning or damaging it? following are the details i know about it
Devices
480W 25A on single 12+ rail
Made in China

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks

G

Don't compare laptops to desktops. If you're only going to surf/watch movies just buy a laptop, I surf/watch my self to sleep every night

I wouldn't use a PSU like that. First, 25 amps @ 12 volts from a 480 watt PSU is pitiful. Consider that the 400 watt Corsair (400CX) has a 30 amp 12volt rail.

Second, you are going to risk an i7 and an X58 motherboard to a POS PSU?

Let me be the first to say, "Please don't."

For what you say you want to do, you do not need an i7 and X58 motherboard. An i3 with its integrated graphics would be enough.

popatim

Titan
System A is way to much power (and probably $ too) for what you want to do.

System B might be a tad slow depending on what OS you will run. If Vista or 7 I would suggest at least a T6400. In fact if you get one with the integrated graphics gma4500hd it can run Wow just fine on reduced settings and DVD's look really good. I do those (wow & watch DVD's) on my laptop all the time.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
HI
thanks for your replies.
But i wanted to know if we only consider the systems I have mentioned and only the specs that are listed. which system would be better for my purposes. keep in mind that core i7 920 is with 1gb ram and the laptop will be with 2 gb ram. thanks

Depends on the operating system

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

yeah u r right but i am out of money currently even to buy a psu. thats y i will put a geforce 2 in the system if i get that system.

1GB of memory should be fine for xp but will be the limiting factor in windows 7. Just wondering though, why are you limited to only these two options?

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

hi
actually the thing is that my goal is to buy intel core i7 920 so no point in buying core i3 first and then buy i7. and currently i have the laptop with the specs i mentioned above. so i was just curious to know as to how much hinderance will 1gb ram be in good performance and will the fast processor compensate it a bit and hence, wanted your opinions

They are separate components. The high end cpu cannot "make up" for lack of ram, just like a powerful car engine can't "make up" for having only one tire. The CPU can't help you any more if it can't get the data it needs from the RAM and the ram has to grab it off the hard drive. But like I said, depends on your OS and uses. XP, with most applications, will run fine. Also, if you are doing something that takes up very little memory and is high on CPU usage, of course it will run faster.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
I understand the facts but my question was simple, let me rephrase it:
which system will you prefer to use for internet, video playbacks and little encoding. Provided you wont be able to upgrade anything on both the systems for the next 6 months.
Hope this is clear

Depends on which operating system.

XP and before/ linux: system 1
windows vista /7: system 2

honestly, I'm sure there are better options out there for a lower or similar price though.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

hi
well i will be using windows XP x86 and Windows 7 x64 on dual boot