AM3 Processor, AM2/AM2+ motherboard

matt 92

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hey guys
I'm sorry if you've heard this question a hundred times before, but, i currently have an AM2/AM2+ socket gigabyte motherboard and i wanted to make sure that if i get an AM3 processor it will work with my current motherboard. Also, if this is the case, which heat sink do i need to get for the processor? or are they all the same ?

Thanks in advance,
matt.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
An AM3 processor should work fine in an AM2+ motherboard. You may just need a BIOS update though so that it recognises the new processor. Your new processor should come with a stock heatsink and fan unit that is adequate at the CPUs stock speeds. However if you are plannning to overclock you will need to look into an aftermarket solution.

Depends on the motherboard. Just about any AM2+ board from gigabyte should have a BIOS update available to support AM3 CPUs. The only way to find out is to go to Gigabyte's page and look up the CPU support for your particular board.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I have 3 Gigabyte GA-MA-770-US3 that supports AM2, AM2+, AM3, check befor you plug the AM3 into that board because my GA-MA-770-DS3 won't( at least thats what Gigabyte says)