jollijurt92

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
processor: phenom ii x4 955 ----------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674&cm_re=phenom_ii_x4_955-_-19-103-674-_-Product

mobo:asus m4a785td-v evo ----------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=m4a785td-v+evo

RAM:i know ill need ddr3 with that mobo...other than that...(shrugs) any ideas...( IM CHEAP :D )

I want a case that...is big enough for expansion later on...but not too cumbersome..uhh.. i was looking at this one..it is a full atx though---------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517004&cm_re=azza-_-11-517-004-_-Product
what i really want in a case is great cooling, lots of expansion slots and maybe a side panel window..ohh. and i was looking for a case with a bottom mounted psu and the actual case is lifted off the ground so i can have the psu sucking in air rather than blowing out...

psu: 600W+ can be bottom mounted. i was looking for modular. and above all a single rail...(haha something with 80% efficiency) can anyone suggest something along those parameters which is moderately priced?

graphics- im a gamer..but im more of a xbox 360 kinda guy...so i really dont need the top end graphics cards...i just really want a pc for multi-tasking and watching vids that i ...legally download...cough...so maybe ill add a gpu later on..or if something nice on the wallet presesnts itself

Optical: i kinda just need a dvd burner..for me to burn my legal copies of movies..cough..something fast. but..haha again a nice ticket price..

HDD: i was thinking of just getting a tb of storage..and then i was thinking of setting up a RAID array and thought better of it(raid controllers cost way too much..unless someone can convince me why RAID is so beneficial..). i was thinking of the wd caviar blck or should i go with smaller, multiple hdds? -------->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

maybe a card reader...i kinda wanted one that could read micro sdhc..but those are far and inbetween...i was thinking ----------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820816001

haha..am i missing anything vital from this build? and does it sound..decent(for multi-tasking/ movie watching/multimedia to my 360...)? hey thanks to all who help in advance..

(oh...i wanted to get windows 7 64-bit..i might as well upgrade now instead of buying 32 and having to upgrade as they impose the new architecture...they need more programs that can take advantage of it though...)

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Look into a CM haf 932 (922 if you want less cooling, but dust filters) for full tower, or Antec 1200.

If you can do midtower then I'd recommend the Lancool K-62. Fits all of your requirements and is large enough to house all but the 5970.

ATI 4650 can be had for around 50 bucks. If you don't game it'll do everything else.

Samsung Spinpoint f3 1tb, or Seagate 7200.12 1tb both out perform the WD.

I'm pretty certain Corsair are the only people still churning out high quality single rail psus. Most everyone has switched to mult-rail. You can grab the 650tx for around 90 bucks.

jollijurt92

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
hey but isnt it best to have only one rail in a psu? i was reading everywhere that it was..that theres less of a chance that componets will be left hungry for power...

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
That's a tricky question.

A cheap multi-rail psu = complete and total garbage that's going to blow up easily.

A quality multi-rail psu = safer than a quality single rail psu

The problem with cheap multi-rail psus is that the tend to put too many power hungry components on one rail. Like all of the pcie connections. Meanwhile they slap the 24pin and hdds of one rail. Well guess which one overloads first?

Quality vendors spread the pcie slots onto multiple rails so that it draws evenly across all rails.

So, same old logic for psu's still apply, stick with quality and you'll be ok. Go with something that's cheap and don't cry when your house burns down lol.

Quality multi-rails are a bit safer because it splits heavy loads onto different rails, it's the whole purpose of multi-rails. With that being said I still recommend Corsair and their single rails all the time, because they build quality psus period.

Here's a good analogy (that I think I stole from jonnyGURU). Imagine the breaker box in your home. It's there so that if a single fuse blows up it doesn't take down your entire electrical system with it. At most just the components connected to it. It's a good, safe system, and it's the reason it's in place. You have 10 fuses, 1 is your electric heater and a few lights, 1 is your electric water heater and a few lights, 1 is your electric range and a few lights. So on and so forth.

Now imagine that same breaker box, but now you have your dryer, your electric range, your water heater all on the same fuse, and the 20 lights in your home connected to the other 9. Does that make sense? Hell no, but it's what has been done in the past with certain cheap psus.

jollijurt92

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
alright so...should i buy a multi or a single? cuz when u say "A quality multi-rail psu = safer than a quality single rail psu" it makes me second guess which one is the best bet...hey but thanks for keeping up with this thread..

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Buy whichever you feel comfortable with. Just make sure it's a quality psu. My most recent purchase was a Seasonic 850w (with multi-rails). The ONLY reason I bought it over the Corsair 850tx(single rail) was because it was 10$ less expensive and I feel as though they are both top quality.

If you feel better with a single rail, then by all means. Here's a link to the JonnyGURU thread I read concerning this topic. It's alot more in depth than my answers, but the conclusion is the same.

jollijurt92

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
haha. im gonna get a job this summer so hopefully i dont have to scrap my plans once theres a flood of new products...but yeah. when i eventually do ill post about it

jollijurt92

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
oh. btw. anything else you would recommend. like mobos processors. w/e because this would be my first build. but i feel pretty confident. ive taken apart all the pcs in my house..

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
<shrug> Honestly I don't know the first thing about AMD.

For the time being ATI 5xxx series is at the top of the GPU foodchain. The Samsung SpinPoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 series are the way to go for mass storage. Intel or OCZ are preferred SSDs. Corsair, PC & Power, Seasonic, Antec are all solid psus. G.Skill typically has the best options on affordable ram.

Other that that I'll leave you to the guys that do AMD builds.

jollijurt92

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
haha. so why is amd the leper of the computing world? oh and ssds will soon enough take over hdds niche as the mass storage corner stone right?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I wouldn't say they're the leper by any means. For strictly gaming it's my understanding that AMD offers a greater value. It just so happens that this years build for me wasn't quite as constrained money wise so I went with an i7. Currently AMD can't hold ground for all purpose computing. Then again their price point reflects it.

I'm not sure SSD's will ever be a mass storage medium. 5 years ago 100GB was mass storage. Today anything less than 1tb is considered small. As SSD's grow in size and shrink in price our storage demands will increase as well. I'd say we have a few more generations of mechanical drives ahead of us.

They're still ungodly fast and make for great boot/primary app drives though