DP55WG won't turn on

chris1024

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Story could probably be started with me getting a Corsair H50 water cooler. I bought it, and installed it which required me to remove my board for the back plate. Everything went fine, computer booted and posted and I proceeded to test out configurations for overclocking. This went on for a couple days, no real problems as far as functionality is concerned. I was getting higher temps than I estimated but nothing dangerous, to my knowledge at least.

I powered off from Windows as one usually would. Opened the case, I was checking where I had plugged in the power connectors for the radiator fan and pump to make sure my board wasn't throttling them. I noticed that my cooling block was not seated all the way (though still seated). I though this would explain the higher temps and fixed it.

Now, for some strange reason, the computer won't turn on at all. At first I thought it was the PSU so I swapped that out but still had the same problem. Bear in mind there was no unexpected shutdown from overheating, everything was running when I turned it off. I pulled out the CPU and it had no signs of any damage what so ever. Which leads me to think it's something with the board itself.

With the old PSU the stand by and back to bios would flash on when the PSU was toggled on, but fade afterwards.

With the new PSU installed, the standby and back to bios (if the button is pushed) lights blink, whereas they usually remain on when the board has power to it. There are no signs of any damage to the board either, everything is clean as far as I can tell. It also gets *some* power, meaning enough to make the lights blink but not stay on constantly like they should.

I'm not sure where to turn next, short of buying a whole new board just to try it and see if it's the problem. Is there anything else I can do, or any other possibilities before I'm forced to try a whole new board?

System: Intel DP55WG motherboard, i7 860, Thermaltake 850W Black Widow (Old PSU was Antec Earthwatts 650w)

Unrelated specs: 8GB OCZ Platinum PC12800 @ 7 7 7 21, 1TB Caviar Black, GTX 470

louisindallas

Distinguished
May 7, 2011