Must we trash an excellent laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANYONE, HELP!

A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but a
BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
trashed!

We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
Does anybody have any ideas?

>ANYONE, HELP!
>
>A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but a
>BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
>trashed!
>
>We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
>Does anybody have any ideas?

You will have to steal one that's not password protected.

Charlie

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:00:41 GMT, "AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote:

>ANYONE, HELP!
>
>A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but a
>BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
>trashed!
>
>We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
>Does anybody have any ideas?

I don't understand how your friend could set the password without
knowing it. Do you mean to say your friend has "someone else's" laptop
and so doesn't know what the password is? If he bought it from that
"someone else", have him either get the password or his money back.

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:00:41 GMT, "AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote:

>ANYONE, HELP!
>
>A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but a
>BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
>trashed!
>
>We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
>Does anybody have any ideas?

Contact Toshiba Tech support. It doesn't take much to convince Tech
support that you're the legit owner, and they can give you a master
password to reset the BIOS to factory specs. Sorry, I don't know what
it is. There are also some BIOS reset utilities available that might
be able to do that too, but those seem a bit risky to me.

MCheu

BigJim

that password is flashed into the bios chip

"AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote in message
> ANYONE, HELP!
>
> A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but a
> BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
> trashed!
>
> We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
> Does anybody have any ideas?

papa

Can the BIOS chip be re-flashed? I know that most desktop computers have
reflashable BIOS chips. Visit the Toshiba website. There may be a reflash
utility that you can download.

"AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote in message
> ANYONE, HELP!
>
> A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but a
> BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
> trashed!
>
> We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
> Does anybody have any ideas?

It won't help. Reflashing the BIOS will not clear any power-up passwords.

Cosmin

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:41:21 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

:>Can the BIOS chip be re-flashed? I know that most desktop computers have
:>reflashable BIOS chips. Visit the Toshiba website. There may be a reflash
:>utility that you can download.

Kind of hard to flash the bios if you have to type in the password (stored
in non-volatile ram) BEFORE you can access ANY hardware, including a floppy
drive. :)

That being said, if it's a Toshiba built model it will require a special
parallel port loopback device. Google might help on that. If it's a model
built by Compal for Toshiba somewhere in the memory compartment is a TINY
set of either copper or silver colored pads that need to be shorted to clear
the password. This should NOT be done with the computer turned on.

me/2

:>
:>"AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote in message
:>news:JguOc.2470$Ix1.265@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
:>> ANYONE, HELP!
:>>
:>> A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but a
:>> BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
:>> trashed!
:>>
:>> We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
:>> Does anybody have any ideas?
:>>
:>>
:>

papa

Are you saying than flashing your BIOS to a newer version will not clear the
password?

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:37:32 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

:>Are you saying than flashing your BIOS to a newer version will not clear the
:>password?

Since you have to type in the bios password BEFORE you can access ANY
hardware, including a floppy drive with a bios disk, you cannot flash the
bios without knowing the bios password. BTW, at least on Toshiba, flashing
the bios does NOT clear the password. It is stored in protected NVRAM. A
bios password would be useless if it could be cleared that easily.

me/2

:>
:>> Papa wrote:
:>> > Can the BIOS chip be re-flashed? I know that most desktop computers have
:>> > reflashable BIOS chips. Visit the Toshiba website. There may be a
:>reflash
:>> > utility that you can download.
:>> >
:>> > "AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote in message
:>> > news:JguOc.2470$Ix1.265@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
:>> >
:>> >>ANYONE, HELP!
:>> >>
:>> >>A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop, but
:>a
:>> >>BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
:>> >>trashed!
:>> >>
:>> >>We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
:>> >>Does anybody have any ideas?
:>> >>
:>

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:37:32 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
>
> :>Are you saying than flashing your BIOS to a newer version will not clear
the
> :>password?
>
> Since you have to type in the bios password BEFORE you can access ANY
> hardware, including a floppy drive with a bios disk, you cannot flash the
> bios without knowing the bios password. BTW, at least on Toshiba,
flashing
> the bios does NOT clear the password. It is stored in protected NVRAM. A
> bios password would be useless if it could be cleared that easily.
>
> me/2
>
> :>
> :>"Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message
> :>news:%5SOc.263$ms31.176@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> :>> It won't help. Reflashing the BIOS will not clear any power-up
passwords.
> :>>
> :>> Cosmin
> :>>
> :>> Papa wrote:
> :>> > Can the BIOS chip be re-flashed? I know that most desktop computers
have
> :>> > reflashable BIOS chips. Visit the Toshiba website. There may be a
> :>reflash
> :>> > utility that you can download.
> :>> >
> :>> > "AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote in message
> :>> > news:JguOc.2470$Ix1.265@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> :>> >
> :>> >>ANYONE, HELP!
> :>> >>
> :>> >>A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model) Laptop,
but
> :>a
> :>> >>BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good as
> :>> >>trashed!
> :>> >>
> :>> >>We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
> :>> >>Does anybody have any ideas?

A Google search of news groups turns up lots of possibilities..hardware
parallel port dongle and other stuff. It would seem that it depends on the
model number though...

Bob

papa

Well, judging from the comments in this thread, looks like setting up a BIOS
password is one of the worst ideas a user can come up with.

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:37:32 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
> >
> > :>Are you saying than flashing your BIOS to a newer version will not
clear
> the
> > :>password?
> >
> > Since you have to type in the bios password BEFORE you can access ANY
> > hardware, including a floppy drive with a bios disk, you cannot flash
the
> > bios without knowing the bios password. BTW, at least on Toshiba,
> flashing
> > the bios does NOT clear the password. It is stored in protected NVRAM.
> > bios password would be useless if it could be cleared that easily.
> >
> > me/2
> >
> > :>
> > :>"Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message
> > :>news:%5SOc.263$ms31.176@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > :>> It won't help. Reflashing the BIOS will not clear any power-up
> passwords.
> > :>>
> > :>> Cosmin
> > :>>
> > :>> Papa wrote:
> > :>> > Can the BIOS chip be re-flashed? I know that most desktop
computers
> have
> > :>> > reflashable BIOS chips. Visit the Toshiba website. There may be a
> > :>reflash
> > :>> > utility that you can download.
> > :>> >
> > :>> > "AJS" <microdynetech@usa.net> wrote in message
> > :>> > news:JguOc.2470$Ix1.265@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> > :>> >
> > :>> >>ANYONE, HELP!
> > :>> >>
> > :>> >>A friend has a virtually new Toshiba Satellite (older model)
Laptop,
> but
> > :>a
> > :>> >>BIOS password is set. Without knowing the password, it's as good
as
> > :>> >>trashed!
> > :>> >>
> > :>> >>We removed the BIOS battery for a few days, but it didn't help.
> > :>> >>Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> A Google search of news groups turns up lots of possibilities..hardware
> parallel port dongle and other stuff. It would seem that it depends on
the
> model number though...
>
> Bob

Mike

Splendid

Papa wrote:
> Well, judging from the comments in this thread, looks like setting up a BIOS
> password is one of the worst ideas a user can come up with.

If you EVER leave it unattened, a password is a good idea.
I once took a computer to a swapmeet. Some "prankster" put a password
on it. If it had been a modern laptop, I'd have been screwed.
Put a password on it and write the password inside somewhere that
takes removing a screw to get at.
Won't help if someone steals it, but will stop the casual tinkerer
and help if you "forget".
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

Papa wrote:

> Well, judging from the comments in this thread, looks like setting up a BIOS
> password is one of the worst ideas a user can come up with.

If you own your laptop, using a BIOS password presents no problems.

If you sell your laptop, and clear the BIOS password, using a BIOS
password presents no problems.

It really pretty simple.

Notan

papa

Could be. But the simplicity of the clearing procedure has certainly not
been addressed in this thread, nor has anyone posting to this thread
answered the OPs question.

So the question remains. How does one clear an existing BIOS password if
he/she forgets what it is?

Papa wrote:

> Could be. But the simplicity of the clearing procedure has certainly not
> been addressed in this thread, nor has anyone posting to this thread
> answered the OPs question.
>
> So the question remains. How does one clear an existing BIOS password if
> he/she forgets what it is?

It may require proving proof of ownership, then sending it back to
the manufacturer for clearing.

The whole idea behind BIOS/Harddrive/Whatever passwords is to make
it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for someone other than
the owner to gain access.

Sounds like it's working, as planned.

Notan

>Papa wrote:
>>
>> Could be. But the simplicity of the clearing procedure has certainly not
>> been addressed in this thread, nor has anyone posting to this thread
>> answered the OPs question.
>>
>> So the question remains. How does one clear an existing BIOS password if
>> he/she forgets what it is?
>
>It may require proving proof of ownership, then sending it back to
>the manufacturer for clearing.
>
>The whole idea behind BIOS/Harddrive/Whatever passwords is to make
>it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for someone other than
>the owner to gain access.
>
>Sounds like it's working, as planned.
>
>Notan

Sure, and with one in four new notebooks getting stolen, there's no
doubt in my mind that this one is also. To all the creeps helping
these thieves in this thread, I hope their next notebook gets stolen.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
> Well, judging from the comments in this thread, looks like setting
> up a BIOS password is one of the worst ideas a user can come up with.

I lean towards Papa's view here. I'm no expert in this area, but I
suspect thieves don't check whether they can get into the BIOS setup
before stealing your laptop. And I haven't heard of any thief who has
returned a laptop after finding out it was password-protected.

It's a nice idea, but the wrong problem. BIOS passwords should not be
about theft prevention, but about making it a little harder for the
average klutz to mess up his own computer. Thus, there should be a
semi-easy method of recovery, such as the battery-removal or
reset-jumper techniques used on desktops. Eliminating these options
in the name of "security" is the wrong solution to the wrong problem.
BIOS passwords do not keep your laptop from being stolen.

Andrew J,

Watch what you assume! The laptop is a corporate one and an unknown
employee set the password, maybe even for spite! It is definitely NOT
stolen. Neither me or my friend is a creep or would ever steal anything!

"AndrewJ" <andrewj@gmail.com> wrote in message
>Sure, and with one in four new notebooks getting stolen, there's no
>doubt in my mind that this one is also. To all the creeps helping
>these thieves in this thread, I hope their next notebook gets stolen.

>Andrew J,
>
>Watch what you assume! The laptop is a corporate one and an unknown
>employee set the password, maybe even for spite! It is definitely NOT
>stolen. Neither me or my friend is a creep or would ever steal anything!

Yeah well the helpful info will be here for thieves to google for
eternity.

Papa <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
> So the question remains. How does one clear an existing BIOS password if
> he/she forgets what it is?

They don't. Clear it when you remember what it is, is what everyone is
saying, and you are deliberately pretending to miscomprehend.

Otherwise you get to talk to the technical dept.

Peter

Alex Sperduti wrote:

> Andrew J,
>
> Watch what you assume! The laptop is a corporate one and an unknown
> employee set the password, maybe even for spite! It is definitely NOT
> stolen. Neither me or my friend is a creep or would ever steal anything!

In Andrew's defense, it was a pretty good assumption.

You have no idea how many requests come through this newsgroup, asking
for ways to defeat passwords. "I wrote it down, but the dog at it."
"Uh, lightning struck my laptop and must've changed the password." You
get the idea.

If it's still a corporate possession, or was legitimately transferred,
again, your only solution might be to contact the manufacturer.

Good luck!

Notan

papa

I'll repeat once more: How does one clear an existing BIOS password if
he/she forgets what it is?

This is a legitimate question, and forgetting a password is indeed a very
common (and innocent) occurence.

However, I took a look in the Google search engine, and it took me less than
a minute to find several websites providing an answer. Here is a quote from
one of those websites:

"If you have mistakenly forgotten your BIOS password you will need to clear
the BIOS password by one of the following methods.

1. On the computer motherboard locate the BIOS clear / password jumper or
dipswitch and change its position. Once this jumper has been changed turn on
the computer and the password should by cleared. Once cleared turn the
computer off and return the jumper or dipswitch to its original position.
The location of the jumpers or dipswitches may vary, however. Here are some
general locations where these jumpers / dipswitch may be located:

a. On the edge of the motherboard - Most jumpers are located on the side of
the motherboard for easy accessibility, verify by looking at all visible
edges of the motherboard.

b. By the CMOS battery - Some manufactures will place the jumper to clear
the CMOS / BIOS password by the actual CMOS battery.

c. By the processor - Some manufactures will place the jumpers by the
processor of the computer.

d. Under the keyboard or bottom of a laptop - If you are working on a laptop
computer the location of the dipswitch (almost never a jumper) can be under
the keyboard or on the bottom of the laptop in a compartment such as the
memory compartment.

2. On the computer motherboard locate and remove the CMOS battery for at
least 10 minutes, which allows the BIOS to loose its information. Note: this
may not work on all computers.

3. On the computer motherboard locate the CMOS solder beads and jump the
solder beads to clear the password. The identification and location of these
solder beads can vary and if not available in the computer documentation it
is generally only obtainable through the computer manufacturer.

If one of the above solutions does not clear the password or if you are
unable to locate the jumpers or solder beads, then it is recommended that
you contact the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for
instructions on clearing the password." END OF QUOTE

Another website also offers helpful instructions:
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

I hope this helps.

dg1261 wrote:

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:
> > Well, judging from the comments in this thread, looks like setting
> > up a BIOS password is one of the worst ideas a user can come up with.
>
> I lean towards Papa's view here. I'm no expert in this area, but I
> suspect thieves don't check whether they can get into the BIOS setup
> before stealing your laptop. And I haven't heard of any thief who has
> returned a laptop after finding out it was password-protected.
>
> It's a nice idea, but the wrong problem. BIOS passwords should not be
> about theft prevention, but about making it a little harder for the
> average klutz to mess up his own computer. Thus, there should be a
> semi-easy method of recovery, such as the battery-removal or
> reset-jumper techniques used on desktops. Eliminating these options
> in the name of "security" is the wrong solution to the wrong problem.
> BIOS passwords do not keep your laptop from being stolen.

It's not necessarily about laptop theft, but data theft.

If someone steals your laptop, you're right... The chances of getting
it back are slim, whether a password has been set, or not.

But if a password's been set, at least they're not able to access data
(This assumes that passwords, other than BIOSs have been set, and that
the passwords can't be cleared from within the BIOS setup.)

Notan

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
> It's not necessarily about laptop theft, but data theft.
>
> If someone steals your laptop, you're right... The chances of getting
> it back are slim, whether a password has been set, or not.
>
> But if a password's been set, at least they're not able to access data
> (This assumes that passwords, other than BIOSs have been set, and that
> the passwords can't be cleared from within the BIOS setup.)

Like I said, wrong answer to the wrong problem. Data protection can
be accomplished by encryption, file passwords, "private" folders, or
even a blunt tool like setting a HDD password. And those don't
involve chucking the whole laptop just because you forgot the
password. Using a BIOS password for data protection is just the wrong
tool for the job.

I don't doubt some thieves and hackers visit this newsgroup, but
invariably responses to requests for information liked the original
post take the arrogant attitude of "guilty until proven innocent."
There are many legitimate owners of second-hand laptops, but I'd bet
the majority of ownership changes are not officially registered with
the manufacturer. That's a process a lot of users are unaware of,
especially if they come from desktop backgrounds where forgetting a
password isn't fatal to the machine.