Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hello,
I have:
Creative 5.1 GigaWorks S700 speaker setup
DELL XPS 720 with an Intel Core2 processor Q6600
a DELL Dimension X-Fi PCI Sound Card,
Windows Pro 7 64 bit

I am only getting sound out of the 2 front speakers and the sub woofer. DELL support says they can not help me because I installed Windows 7 myself and they did not supply it but have said it is definitely a driver issue. I've been on the Creative website but I am not sure how to find the correct new driver, or even, to be honest how to install one if indeed that turned out to be the problem.. We have verified that all the hardware is working and the wiring is OK as sound comes out of all the speakers in test mode.

Any help would be appreciated

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Got a question did you have to wipe the hard drive to use Windows 7? Dell doesn't have Windows 7 drivers for that card and nor does Creative. Dell does have drivers for Vista 32 and 64 bit which should also work for 7.

ams228

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Mister g,
thank you for the quick reply! my son, who was home from college at the time, installed Win 7 and I don't know if he wiped the HD or not, sorry.

Which drivers do you recommend and how does one install a driver (as you can tell, I am new at this).
Thank you again for helping

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
You download it off the internet and tell it to run, then follow the directions that show up, and then your done. I beleive I found your sound cards drivers for Windows 7, when you agree and the download box shows up click run, wait for download to complete and follow the onscreen instructions.

ams228

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
ok, did that, and speakers test out perfectly but no matter what I play (CD, DVD or internet radio) only the 2 front and subwoofer have sound - crazy?

ams228

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

great, where do I go to find them and what are they called?
Thank you

ams228

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

I have installed Creative:
ALchemy
Console Launcher
MediaSource
MediaSource 5
Software AutoUpdate
Sound Blaster Properties x64 Edition
WaveStudio 7

Do you think there is anything missing that I should have or there may be conflicts among the programs I do have?

drizzt396

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Console Launcher
and
Sound Blaster Properties x64 Edition

could be posing a problem, especially considering you don't have a soundblaster card...on the other hand, you could also potentially use either of those programs to set it to surround sound, and maybe even force surround sound for your music. just copy and paste them into the search box when you open your start bar, run the program, and try to find an option to: a)set the speakers to 5.1 and b)enable CMSS

And FYI, almost all music is just going to play out of your front two speakers and your sub. It's all mixed in stereo, and unless you have something to force surround, it won't.