Great Mini ITX i7 rig...except it won't boot anymore!

billmit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
3 days ago I built a dream Core i7860 Mini-ITX system, and it it worked like a charm once I got everything installed (scraped knuckles, but worth it). It screams, and is really quiet too. But this AM when I went to turn it on (front panel "resume") nothing happened. Opened the case, and orange LEDs show power on the MB, but I hear not a peep from the system...no CPU or casefan or PS fan noise....nothing...

I checked for loose connectors and accidental grounds....nothing obvious showing. Fried CPU? RAM gone bad? What could cause this failure mode, esp. after working fine for 3 days?

My system config:

-DFI LANParty MI P55-T36 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
-Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler
-CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
-HIS Radeon HD 5770 H577FN1GD Video Card
-OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT120G 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
-Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
-SILVERSTONE SG06-B Black Computer Case

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'm assuming this was after putting the pc in some form of sleep mode?

I know it's a stupid question, but have you tried a cold reboot. There have been a ton of issues with s3/c3 sleep and boards not waking up, or waking with no usb support.

<shrug> just a thought.

billmit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

---------------
The link/article is really great troubleshooting advice....over the years/systems I've built it would have saved me *hours* and perhaps days of trouble!

The thing that's really got with this system is:
1) it operated beautifully for 3 days. Leads me to believe that either it's a cabling problem or a component gone bad after "burn in" use. (I've checked all cabling/sockets)
2) the PS appears to be supplying power (LEDs on the MB and Gfx card), so I assumed it's not the PS...

...but you're right, the PS could have some bad connectors. I'm puzzled by the PS fan not coming on too....If I remember correctly, it does if it's actually supplying power/making a circuit in the first place. (Do you know if this is so?)

I'm going to try a dffererent PS, since that would appear to be the most likely culprit.

Thanks!

billmit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

----

Never a bad idea to check the simple things that we all forget about, but yes, I've crawled all over this system. (battery out, reset CMOS etc in fact..).

Thanks

billmit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Well, to all those who guessed it was a bad PS (myself included): no joy! I bought an indentical SilverStone case + PS at Frys (can sell to a buddy who's planning on copying my build anyway). Swapped the PS. Same behavior: system board and GFX LEDs light up, but nothing...no CPU fan-spin or even discernable fan-spin on the PS.

So....(head scratching)...it feels like a bad CPU to me. Going to tear the thing down (and tear up my knuckles again) to get at MB and make sure I don't have a screw, peice of wire, standoff or some other short around the CPU. It bothers me, though that I have enough of a circuit to light LEDs. Feels CPUish though. Any bets? Maybe an Artic-Silver thermal paste bridge? (hope, hope...anything's better than an RMA!)

Thanks

billmit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Tore it all down including taking the CPU off the heatsink, cleaning, and reapplying Artic Silver. Nothing obvious wrong here. Re-assembled, and same old behavior: system board and graphics card LEDs light up, but nothing else...no fans, and no joy.

Any ideas for what I can to to try to prove that it's a bad CPU? (I guess it could be a bad MB as well) Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

mayimhayim

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

I'm getting ready to build the identical system, so please keep us posted...

billmit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

I think you're right. I don't get the new MB overnighted until Tue, so in the meantime I'll probably just pick up a cheap PCIe card from Frys (like this http://www.frys.com/product/6085648) to validate that the HIS card isn't the problem.

I will keep you posted, this *was* a great little power-box when it worked...

billmit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Well (drumroll) it *was*a defective motherboard! The new motherboard + everything else identical works like a champ! Shame on NewEgg (and shame on me for allowing my wife to throw away the shipping box so NewEgg won't take the return!)

Great little system now that it's up and working again. Thanks for all of your diagnostic thoughts & help...Benchmark for the system below.

Cinebench R10
Rendering (Single CPU): 3797
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 16213
Shading (OpenGL Std): 9005

mayimhayim

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
awesome Bill, enjoy the machine!

Now, I need to decide if this motherboard is for me... there is little feedback on the web, but has anyone else heard of other reliability issues?

huklbery

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Same problem here though my MB lasted about 3 hours. I had no doubt what went wrong as I had a short flash and puff of smoke on restart at one point. About a week on the 2nd board, but I had exactly the same issues.

huklbery

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Since my significant other also made an RMA a problem as after several days assembly she had tossed the empty materials ( I still had the MB factory box with proper serial number, just nothing else of the packaging). I ordered a 2nd board and swapped all the other material for the new egg RMA. I had been thinking to just keep the board a spare, but now think I had best get another 1156 chip and RAM and run it with Ubuntu for a few days/weeks. I have a full size Antec skeleton I can use for the burn in test.

Currently
Silverstone SG06
1.5TB Seagate HD
Slimline DVD burner
i7 860
Corsair H50 with a scythe GentleTyphoon 13 on the radiator
EVGA GT240 (DDR3 1gig model)
nMEDIAPC 2.4GHz RF Wireless Keyboard/Remote (still getting used to it)

Though I don't intend to overclock I live in a warm climate and the H50 is an easy cpu set up. I had to cut the case middle slot strut out and dremel a water hose opening above the slot capture tab. I just flopped the radiator/fan assembly on top and its working ok. Looks alright as the cabinet it sits in is dark though its .