Sign in with
Your question

Did I do something wrong? (BIOS set-up, unlocking, Win7 Install)

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2010 4:23:07 AM

Hi there,

Just finished putting together my first computer. Was a snap! But, I'm having trouble with installing Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit (System Builder).
Motherboard: Asus m4A785TD-V EVO (build date of 6/28/2010)
CPU: AMD Athlon 2 x3 445 Rana
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500 MB
DVD: Samsung burner
RAM: Patriot DDR3 1333 2x 2GB (4 GB total)

It powered up on the first go, which made me happy.

First, I went into the BIOS, and just set the time and date. I also went in and was able to unlock the 4th core; I now have a Phenom 2 x4 B45 with the L3 Cache at 6 MB. I'm more happy, now!

Then, I restarted (no problems) and then plopped in the Windows 7 Install disk. The first time, it kept re-booting. So, I went in to BIOS and changed the boot sequence (made the DVD the second option). This time around, it didn't reboot. It started to load, and stopped. No HDD, no DVD activity.

Did I do something wrong? I went by the Asus MB manual as best as I could; it seems you can do this.

Did I miss something? Drivers maybe?

I am new at this, so be gentle!

Thanks for any advice / links.
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 10:27:01 AM

Reset your bios to default settings,

Start again, installing Win7 before you try unlocking your fourth core, it may not be stable so get the system up and running 'normally' before trying to overclock or unlock your chip,
Hope this helps,
Moto
m
l
August 20, 2010 11:32:40 AM

Once the core is unlocked, can I "relock" it through the Bios manually?

The only thing I changed from default was that setting as noted.

I'll give it a go, though. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 11:40:21 AM

if you set it to default settings, it will lock the core iirc,
np,
Moto
m
l
August 20, 2010 11:48:52 AM

Thanks much,

I just disabled the ACC, (as that was the only thing I changed, so back to default) and that did the trick.

Win7 is loading as we speak!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 12:21:39 PM

Groovy, always build your Rig and get it sorted first before trying anything fancy, that way you know the system works and its your clocking/unlocking causing issues
Glad to help man, have fun
Moto
m
l
!