Sign in with
Your question

PCI to PCI-E adapter?

Last response: in Components
March 28, 2010 2:22:03 AM

Does a PCI to PCI-E adapter exist? I'm curious because I'd like to use my PCI sound card when PCI slots don't exist on motherboards anymore.

More about : pci pci adapter

March 28, 2010 4:12:52 AM

The answer to your question is yes. The cards are available from many online vendors. Here is an example:

http://www.startech.com/item/PEX1PCI1-PCI-Express-to-PC...

Sound cards are being replaced by onboard high definition sound. My new motherboard came with a spdif (fiber optic) connection and an hdmi port. I connected a fiber optic cable to my old audio system. I can literally rock the house! :D 

m
l
March 28, 2010 1:58:05 PM

That's a PCIe to PCI adapter. I'm looking for a PCI to PCIe adapter.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2010 4:49:11 PM

Wait, I'm confused. If I want to use a PCI card on a PCI express slot, what is that called? PCI to PCI express or PCI express to PCI?
m
l
March 28, 2010 4:56:57 PM

The second adapter I linked to will allow you to use a old PCI card in a modern PCI-e slot. It is usually called a "PCI to PCI-e adapter card". However, I think you'll find PCI and PCI-e are sometimes reversed.

m
l
August 15, 2013 4:44:38 PM

Hey I am someone looking for a PCI to PCI-E adapter for a low-profile GPU in my computer. Since my computer is quite old, it still has PCI slots on the motherboard and not PCI-E. The post above was really helpful but I was wondering if there is and adapter like that for less than $30. do they make that? Thanks.

Edit: Prefrebly one that also supports something other than PCI-E x1 because all of those cards are super expensive. and keep in mind low-profile please.
m
l
!