PCI to PCI-E adapter?

Does a PCI to PCI-E adapter exist? I'm curious because I'd like to use my PCI sound card when PCI slots don't exist on motherboards anymore.
Reply to chengbin
9 answers Last reply
More about adapter
  1. The answer to your question is yes. The cards are available from many online vendors. Here is an example:

http://www.startech.com/item/PEX1PCI1-PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card.aspx

Sound cards are being replaced by onboard high definition sound. My new motherboard came with a spdif (fiber optic) connection and an hdmi port. I connected a fiber optic cable to my old audio system. I can literally rock the house! :D
    Reply to JohnnyLucky
  2. That's a PCIe to PCI adapter. I'm looking for a PCI to PCIe adapter.
    Reply to chengbin
  3. Wait, I'm confused. If I want to use a PCI card on a PCI express slot, what is that called? PCI to PCI express or PCI express to PCI?
    Reply to chengbin
  4. The second adapter I linked to will allow you to use a old PCI card in a modern PCI-e slot. It is usually called a "PCI to PCI-e adapter card". However, I think you'll find PCI and PCI-e are sometimes reversed.
    Reply to JohnnyLucky
  5. Hey I am someone looking for a PCI to PCI-E adapter for a low-profile GPU in my computer. Since my computer is quite old, it still has PCI slots on the motherboard and not PCI-E. The post above was really helpful but I was wondering if there is and adapter like that for less than $30. do they make that? Thanks.

Edit: Prefrebly one that also supports something other than PCI-E x1 because all of those cards are super expensive. and keep in mind low-profile please.
    Reply to maith1
  6. JohnnyLucky said:

I have one of this to put a al PCI express Graphic Card in a PCI slot, but works bad, because it shows many horizontal lines in the image :(
    Reply to caracolo
  7. JohnnyLucky said:

Sound cards are being replaced by onboard high definition sound. My new motherboard came with a spdif (fiber optic) connection and an hdmi port. I connected a fiber optic cable to my old audio system. I can literally rock the house! :D

Rocking the house isn't the hard part. Pro sound cards are all about the *inputs* for multichannel recording. How many simultaneous signals can you record using your SPDIF onboard connection? There are a lot of people out there who can't upgrade their systems because they must use legacy PCI devices (think "Lynx" and "RME", "Digidesign", "UAD", and "Apogee" here). Some of these devices cost thousands of dollars, and it turns out the host platform (32-bit PCI) went obsolete before the devices reached the end of their useful life.

Also consider industrial scenarios. Organizations that designed their own custom PCI-32 controller boards will now need to source legacy motherboards or workable solutions for adapting PCIe to PCI-32.
    Reply to James_505
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

PCI Express PCI Sound Cards Components