Sign in with
Your question

Backup service with multiple data centers?

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2012 5:20:43 PM

I know Mozy & Amazon S3 have multiple data centers, but does any of the other offsite/cloud backup services have multiple data centers? (i.e., Carbonite, MiMedia, CrashPlan, etc.)
a c 415 G Storage
January 17, 2012 6:46:46 PM

Having multiple datacentres means nothing unless YOUR data is actually stored redundantly in different locations. And the only way to guarantee that would be to purchase a package that includes that service, which would likely cost a premium.

The other way to do this is to simply make multiple backups with different providers, provided that you can ascertain that provider A isn't just using the same back-end storage services that provider B uses.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:50:42 AM

And you're convinced back up services like Mozy and Amazon S3 don't have redundancy for all users/accounts by default?
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
January 18, 2012 3:33:23 PM

digityzed said:
And you're convinced back up services like Mozy and Amazon S3 don't have redundancy for all users/accounts by default?
I'm sure they have basic RAID redundancy, but for their cheap, entry-level plans I can't imagine they'd incur the expense of replicating your data to multiple sites.
m
l
January 18, 2012 11:15:35 PM

Very good point. If so, then it doesn't matter which service I go with because I will definitely sign up with one of the cheapest home plans. The only deciding factor now is how fast they can ready my data in the event of a restore.

Thanks for your insight.
m
l
!