Backup service with multiple data centers?

digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I know Mozy & Amazon S3 have multiple data centers, but does any of the other offsite/cloud backup services have multiple data centers? (i.e., Carbonite, MiMedia, CrashPlan, etc.)

Having multiple datacentres means nothing unless YOUR data is actually stored redundantly in different locations. And the only way to guarantee that would be to purchase a package that includes that service, which would likely cost a premium.

The other way to do this is to simply make multiple backups with different providers, provided that you can ascertain that provider A isn't just using the same back-end storage services that provider B uses.

I'm sure they have basic RAID redundancy, but for their cheap, entry-level plans I can't imagine they'd incur the expense of replicating your data to multiple sites.

digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Very good point. If so, then it doesn't matter which service I go with because I will definitely sign up with one of the cheapest home plans. The only deciding factor now is how fast they can ready my data in the event of a restore.

Thanks for your insight.