Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7-930 at Microcenter

Last response: in CPUs
March 28, 2010 4:57:48 AM

So, I found this Core i7-930 at Microcenter for $199.99. My first thought was...buy it! But then I thought...why is it so cheap? Is there something wrong with it? So, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what's up with this deal.

More about : core 930 microcenter

a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 5:13:01 AM

Microcenters sell i7s really cheap, don't know why. You have to go instore and pickup though - that's all I know. Normally it's during sale times I think - the only U.S. well-known computer hardware store that I'm familiar with is probably Newegg.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
March 28, 2010 5:49:09 AM

Microcenter has a habit of selling Intel cpu's much cheaper than anyone else, no one really knows why.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2010 5:55:07 AM

This makes me happy ^^ There is a Microcenter about 30-45 minutes from my house apparently...I never knew. Me and my friend will be picking up one each in less than a week, it'll be the first part I buy for my computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 6:04:26 AM

I know why. Cuz everyone else just sells them REALLY EXPENSIVE.

Capitalism my ass - its called corporate monopolies.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 7:23:15 AM

if it's retail boxed and has the 3 year warranty I'd already have it. That's an awesome. Read the fine print, maybe they only have one to offer at that price and it's a bait and switch.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 7:37:49 AM

They do it to get people into the store/spread there name. And no there are no catches/bait and switches. On the site they even tell you how many the have in stock at the store. The other stores/on-line retailers are not selling them really expensive either werxen. The 199.99 at microcenter is probably cheaper than Intels tray price per 1000 chips.

I for one love that store. They actually have people in there that know what they are selling which is nice. And the prices are really good for a retail store period. Even on the items not on sale.
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 8:45:39 AM

someguy7 said:
They do it to get people into the store/spread there name. And no there are no catches/bait and switches. On the site they even tell you how many the have in stock at the store. The other stores/on-line retailers are not selling them really expensive either werxen. The 199.99 at microcenter is probably cheaper than Intels tray price per 1000 chips.

I for one love that store. They actually have people in there that know what they are selling which is nice. And the prices are really good for a retail store period. Even on the items not on sale.

* $294.99
* Free Shipping!

Add item to Cart

That's from newegg... I don't know wtf you're talking about "The other stores/on-line retailers are not selling them really expensive either werxen."

There is a big difference between 200 vs. 300. One is expensive the other is not - granted its all relative but you don't know how much it costs Intel to make these chips. Using basic economic principals, however, once can assume that it is much cheaper than $200 a chip seeing as how Microcenter is still in business. Like I said, corporate monopolies.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 9:37:19 AM

You are clueless. That is not expensive. The tray price is 294.99 http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447. That is what INTEL sells the chips by 1000. Newegg is selling them for that exact same price. That is not selling them really expensive period.

What it cost Intel to make the chips has NOTHING to do what we are talking about. Absolutely nothing. And it cost Intel a fraction of 200 or 300 to actually produce the chips anyways. Microcenter or newegg is not making the chips themselfs in the warehouse and putting it a Intel box. They purchase them from Intel by the thousands. Microcenter sells the chips for so cheap(at a loss to them) for two main reasons.

1. To get people to come into the store. Why do you think it is IN STORE ONLY. Once people come in and see the store they are banking on you buying other stuff during your visit or coming back in the future and point 2.

2. Word of mouth/free advertising. Look at all the forums since microcenter has been doing this. Oh if you live by a microcenter get this chip.... I never even heard of them prior to the Intel sales. And there is one in a town I was very familiar with but did not know it was even there.

Now I understand why you did not wtf I was talking about. Simply because you have no idea wtf you are talking about in your response to me period.
The online retailers are selling them at the prices they are supposed to. Newegg as you pointed out is selling them at the Intel tray price per 1000. Yet in your mind its really expensive. And for some crazy reason you try and bring up what it cost Intel to make the chips. Fail.

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 1:59:39 PM

I checked the website. It's convenient that they let you see how many of the CPUs are in stock. Basically, you reserved the CPU and then go pick up at the store but there's no guarantee it will still be there. However, if I can see there are 50 left and I "reserve" the CPU then start driving (one hour away) I will be surprised if they sold 50 CPUs in that one hour while I'm driving to the store.

It's an awesome deal and so is the AMD PII X4 955 BE for $99! I just bought mine from Newegg last month for $160!!

I think eventually Newegg will find a way to also offer these steep discounts on high end CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 2:57:24 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
I think eventually Newegg will find a way to also offer these steep discounts on high end CPUs.

They already do to some extent, in the discounted bundles (CPU & mobo, etc) that they occasionally offer. Generally not a great discount, but better than nuttin' :p ..

I find that zipzoomfly.com generally beats Newegg's prices on some items, so it pays to shop around.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 8:39:25 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
I checked the website. It's convenient that they let you see how many of the CPUs are in stock. Basically, you reserved the CPU and then go pick up at the store but there's no guarantee it will still be there. However, if I can see there are 50 left and I "reserve" the CPU then start driving (one hour away) I will be surprised if they sold 50 CPUs in that one hour while I'm driving to the store.

It's an awesome deal and so is the AMD PII X4 955 BE for $99! I just bought mine from Newegg last month for $160!!

No they won't.

I can tell you why Microcenter has cheap CPUs since I used to work there. They're actually losing money on every CPU they sell, so they have a 1 CPU only policy. Their purpose is to get you to buy their other CPU components for building a complete rig. That's the only way they recoup their losses.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 8:56:19 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
No they won't.

I can tell you why Microcenter has cheap CPUs since I used to work there. They're actually losing money on every CPU they sell, so they have a 1 CPU only policy. Their purpose is to get you to buy their other CPU components for building a complete rig. That's the only way they recoup their losses.

Makes sense to me. When they have these sales they know they'll sell out all the bargain priced CPUs which I'm sure isn't their whole stock and each store has a limited number they can sell at that price.

For now, Newegg will just have to be jealous.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 10:43:38 PM

pretty much. Once when I worked there, this dude wanted to buy 20 i7s and sell em on ebay and was quite insistent about it. My floor boss was on the verge of chasing him out of the store. XD
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 11:09:10 PM

I need to make a friend that lives by a microcenter. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 11:17:32 PM

I live next to a Microcenter. Want to be my friend? =)
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 11:30:29 PM

Bluescreendeath said:

I do. I buy parts from a guy next to a frys all the time.
m
l
March 28, 2010 11:38:13 PM

Would like to know if anyone is so nice as to help me grab a processor from microcenter....would pay through paypal/ebay
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 12:14:07 AM

Let me throw this out there as well, don't bet your life on what these places are paying as "tray price" either. You are a fool if you think any large retailer is actually paying the advertised tray price for them. When large companies buy goods, it is always a "negotiated" pricing contract, and no everyone is NOT treated equal.

That being said, I don't have a Microcenter close to me now. When I used to live in Huntington Beach there is one just off the 55 in Irvine I used to go to all the time, (as well as the Fry's in Fountain Valley off the 405) I love Microcenter, they do have some great deals.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 12:21:59 AM

Microcenters been doing it for a while. For example, they had the i7 920 for $200 when every one else (including Newegg) had it for $260-280. I bought my i7 920 from Microcenter (30-40 min drive) and it's working fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 12:24:45 AM

jitpublisher said:
Let me throw this out there as well, don't bet your life on what these places are paying as "tray price" either. You are a fool if you think any large retailer is actually paying the advertised tray price for them. When large companies buy goods, it is always a "negotiated" pricing contract, and no everyone is NOT treated equal.

That being said, I don't have a Microcenter close to me now. When I used to live in Huntington Beach there is one just off the 55 in Irvine I used to go to all the time, (as well as the Fry's in Fountain Valley off the 405) I love Microcenter, they do have some great deals.

Indeed, there was a local custom PC build shop (ran out of business in 08) close to where I live and they had some kind of deal with Intel and they managed to get their CPUs significantly cheaper than Newegg prices, got my Celeron D 315 from them for like $25-30 less than Newegg from them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 12:30:38 AM

Ya. IIRC, Microcenter gets the i7 920s for around $250ish I believe.

Store employees got a discount for products by base price (how much they pay for it from the manufacturer) + 5%, and I remember the final price was far more than the $200 for the advertised deal.

So they're taking a pretty big hit when people only buy their CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 1:49:55 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
Ya. IIRC, Microcenter gets the i7 920s for around $250ish I believe.

Store employees got a discount for products by base price (how much they pay for it from the manufacturer) + 5%, and I remember the final price was far more than the $200 for the advertised deal.

So they're taking a pretty big hit when people only buy their CPUs.

They are not going to tell you what they are paying for the parts, that would be corporate suicide to let the common employees know those numbers.
That is like saying that Toyota let me have a new Camry for 5% over dealer invoice, so I only paid 5% over what they paid for it. :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 4:58:22 AM

jitpublisher said:
They are not going to tell you what they are paying for the parts, that would be corporate suicide to let the common employees know those numbers.
That is like saying that Toyota let me have a new Camry for 5% over dealer invoice, so I only paid 5% over what they paid for it. :lol: 

I see no reason why management would lie to employees regarding what the store pays for items...
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 3:52:00 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
pretty much. Once when I worked there, this dude wanted to buy 20 i7s and sell em on ebay and was quite insistent about it. My floor boss was on the verge of chasing him out of the store. XD

LOL - the guy shouldda just brought cash & 19 disguises :p .

"Hey - didn't you used to have brown hair & a moustache 10 minutes ago??"
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 3:54:02 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Microcenters been doing it for a while. For example, they had the i7 920 for $200 when every one else (including Newegg) had it for $260-280. I bought my i7 920 from Microcenter (30-40 min drive) and it's working fine.

Maybe they'll have the i7-980 for $300 :D .

I'd definitely pick one up at that price, and bring 19 disguises with me :kaola: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 4:52:50 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
I see no reason why management would lie to employees regarding what the store pays for items...

Seriously, in the retail business, it does not help if your customers, or competitors know what you are paying. Pricing strategy is what they all live or die by, and employees are never going to be allowed to get the real numbers on purpose. Remember all the articles you see, some of them here on Tom's even, where they take stuff apart and try guess what it costs to make the item? (although their pricing logic is usually way off base most of the time) Point is, what companies pay for products in retail business is tough to know the actual truth of it, unless you are senior purchasing agent.

But, some companies may let the employee know, especially if the company is employee owned. Still though, getting back to the original conversations, not every pays the tray price, or even close to it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 5:13:21 PM

Bluescreendeath said:

/friend 1

How many disguises do you have? :) 

Seriously now, does MicroCenter have any sweet deals other than CPU?

They I'm sure are causing a lot of spark about their store that way. Can't count the number of times we have referred someone to that place.

How strict are they on people buying and reselling? (Not saying I want to) It seems like they would have a constant problem with that there. I work at a dollar store (I know I know) and people do it here all the time. I've found about 3 ebay stores that people sell our stuff on locally. (They charge anywhere up to a 1000% mark-up)

Oh, and here the employees know the costs for each item. Hell I had to put half of the damn items in the system. Then again this is a dollar store.

Can't you find base price for a lot of items on the net?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 6:16:57 PM

Forget about whether employees know or don't know what the company paid for the items. Let's talk about this sale.

This is a good deal but let's break down the actual cost. If you have to drive more than an hour or two hours and then an hour in the store for processing and browsing, that's half a day that could have been spent doing something else. Then add $18 for sales tax and $20 for fuel.

I live out of state so if I order Newegg, it takes me 5 minutes online and the box gets delivered to my door in 2 days. I'll spend about $60 more but 99% less effort, no driving no going to the gas station to fill up. I'll probably wait (in fact I'll suggest it to Newegg) for Newegg to offer this item in Shell Shocker.

But if I lived a mile from Microcenter of course I'd choose to just walk there and pick it up.

m
l
April 5, 2010 12:32:09 AM

Best answer selected by iokau.
m
l
!