Your question

Phenom II x6 1055t issue

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 9, 2012 11:05:53 PM

Hi guys. I am new to this so sorry if I have done something silly.

This is a post I have brought over from the components section, sorry, still finding my way around.

I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055t 2.8GHz running on an Asus M5A78L LE with 2x 2GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM.

I have followed THIS guide on how to OC.

Within windows I see that I am at 3.71GHz using Core Temp & CPU-Z. When I try to use Cinebench, the temp goes up, obviously. When it hits 48 degrees C the CPU speed drops to 1.0GHz with the multiplier down to 4.0 from 14. Voltage @ 3.7 GHz is 1.452V and at 1.0GHz 1.320V. This is according to CPU-Z. I have not changed any voltages as the guide says there is no need.

When the temp goes down to 36 degrees, the speed shoots up again until 48 degrees is reached.

I have disabled quiet n cool & C1E support as the guide suggests. I have changed power options in control panel, I have tried while running game booster. I also downloaded something called K10Stat after a google search but don't really understand how to use it.

I have been sat here all night trying to figure it out and I am done :(  I would love it if someone could help.

Thanks a lot
Rich

More about : phenom 1055t issue

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2012 12:10:04 AM

What CPU cooler are you using?

It sounds like something is overheating and down-clocking. I have seen temp readings on different software MB combos be off by a lot but your temps would have to be off by about 15 degrees for this to be your CPU.

Try downloading HWmonitor and see what that gives you for temps. (HW monitor read my temps at ~10 degrees lower than actual, but I'm curious how its temps compare to core temp.

Next, your motherboard has a rather meek VRM section for the kind of power you are trying to pump out. 1.425v and 6 cores is a lot of juice.

I have not experienced it myself, but I wonder if your MB is in distress and thus downclocking to save itself. Check out all your temps under load, not just your core temps, and see which one is the highest.

September 10, 2012 12:22:59 AM

I have forgotten exactly which cooler it is but it says venom on it and is fairly large. Sorry, will post link but on phone at the moment. The temp thing sound about right. In bios it was saying the CPU temp was about 51 but in windows about 39?

I didnt adjust the voltage, like I said. That is set to auto as the guide said there was no need to change it.

Cheers
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2012 12:33:12 AM

Your motherboard automatically increases voltage as CPU speed increases.

You didn't have to adjust the voltage because your board did it for you.

Your equipment is behaving as if it's trying to protect itself from overheating. Your CPU shouldn't do this until temps get into the 60's. I'm not sure if/when your motherboard will pull back or at what temps.

But I suspect something is too hot or otherwise overloaded. We need to figure out what it is.
September 10, 2012 6:50:42 AM

I have dropped it back to 3.2GHz. It went through Cinebench fine once and gave me a great score. Then I tested it with Prime95 and it did the throttling type thing.

Thing is, I tested it with my video editing software which is probably the most load I ever put my PC under and it stayed at 39 degrees according to Core Temps and stayed at 3.2GHz. So, it's got me thinking, if that is the most load I ever subject it to I might just leave it at that and assume my cooling is inadiquate for more?

My cooler is an Akasa Venom CPU Air Cooler AK-CCX-4002HP - 120mm
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2012 10:55:41 AM

It could be your motherboard that's in distress.

Do you have any temps from your motherboard. HWmonitor will give you some info.

What's the hottest temp on the list under full load?