Do you think i will get anywhere with a 8800 GTS SLI?

Hey guys, im on a budget, and im trying to build a decent rig for just medicore gaming, with dx 10, and for mmos like age of conan, FFXIV, and All points bulletin.

right now i have

2 gigs of ram
8800 GTS 512
AMD 5400 x2 at 3.3 ghz

I plan on upgrading to

4 gigs of ddr2/ddr3
and a AMD Phenom II 720 x3
and a sli motherboard

i was wondering how much performance boost can i get from another 8800 gts? since theyre like incredibly cheap..going for 60-80 dollars.

oh and its a 19" Widescreen monitor
7 answers Last reply
More about 8800
  1. okay, with that setup then i would say that u can play any games(most) lately with high setting... :)
  2. 8800GTS 512 is still a monster card...it can practically/almost max out any game on resolutions of up 1080p, and its at its best at 1680x1050. I have an 8800GTS 640mb which is around 10% less powerful then yours and its still awsome. I was actually thinking of grabbing another one for an easy/cheap performance boost but i'll just wait until nvidia releases its DX11 GPU's. If I were you i'd grab one, its an instant max out of all games on 1680x1050-1920x1080 except for maybe crysis.
  3. Do the upgrade and see how it works first, old as it is the 8800GTS is still a useful gaming card, as long as you keep the resolution and your expectations within reason.
    Take a look at the SLI/CF FAQ at the top of the Forum and see if it's a good idea for you; Not every game can use two or more GPUs' and those that cannot can suffer a heavy performance drop as a result.
  4. I still run a BFG 8800GTS 512 OC. I look at all the benchmarks from the 4850's to the 4890s, the 250's and the 260's and I believe that it would take a pretty high end card to make an upgrade feel worthwhile. Contrary to what I see posted here in the forums a lot, that old 8800GTS you have will still get the job done nicely. A couple of these in SLI, and you have to start looking at $500 cards to do any better. SLI does not scale well with everything though. Check on the games you want to run before you make your decision final.
  5. Quote:
    Just upgrade the ram and the CPU. You wont need another 8800GTS to run those games. But if you realy need summin better buy a whole new card. I would suggest the HD 4870. This is what you need mate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161292&cm_re=hd_4870-_-14-161-292-_-Product

If you have a 8800GTS G92 card, spending $160 on a 4870 as an upgrade is an utterly stupid thing to do.
  6. Do the upgrade and see where you are, if you are not happy with the performance then get the second card.
    8800GTs cards in SLI are a serious combination and are a dexcent match for just about anything.

Mactronix
  7. mactronix said:
    Do the upgrade and see where you are, if you are not happy with the performance then get the second card.
    8800GTs cards in SLI are a serious combination and are a dexcent match for just about anything.

Mactronix

What he said.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics Product