EX58-UD3R BIOS wll not flash with @BIOS or Q-Flash utility!

irishbug

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hi friends,

I installed @BIOS on my EX58-UD3R, Rev. 1.0 mobo. When I let it search the Gigabyte servers it only finds the F9 version but when I search the Gigabyte support psge for that board, it offers an F10, F11 and even an F12i (Beta) version. F10 has been out since 10 February 2010 so why doesn't @BIOS even offer it up when trying to use that utility? I started to wonder if I wasn't looking at the correct version of board, but it is. Another crazy thing is that before I tried using @BIOS to update the BIOS, I tried using the more preferred Q-Flash but when I did, I got an error saying something like "incorrect part or ID number" something to that effect. So what gives here? I've recently purchased a Crucial C300 SSD and n Asus U3S6 controller, so I want to configure them the best way possible, so as to gain the best speed I can out of it. If I can't update my BIOS then this sucks. Maybe it's a sign I should leave things alone? I wonder if it isn't working becasue of the OS (Win 7 64)..nooo it can't be that because the BIOS is updated/saved in the ROM. If anyone could give some tips on why I can't flash my BIOS please let me know, and anyone having information on the best configuration for the SSD and controller I have, would be awesome too.

Thanks!

njure

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Well, I think the @BIOS has the alternative to flash from a local file, thus giving you the opportunity to download the latest version and update it via the @BIOS utility. To be on the safe side you should download the utility "Smart 6" (or something like it from Gigabyte's download section), and use the option to activate the DualBIOS function. If anything goes wrong, you'll have the Gigabyte DualBIOS to rely on. As far as SSDs go, that's really not my cup of tea.

irishbug

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

Hi, I did actually did try doing that too with @BIOS and it didn't work either. The funny thing too is that when @BIOS checks any of the multiple Gigabyte servers, it shows F9 as the latest BIOS update, but the gigabyte support site has version F12. I wonder why @BIOS doesnt list that one yet? Last night I removed the SSD and ASUS controller and installed windows 7 on a SATA 500GB disk and I still couldn't update the BIOS. I also installed a floppy drive and tried updating that way, still nothing I keep getting the "BIOS ID check error" (or something real close to that) Any other ideas?
Thanks

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Did you unzip the file? Stick with QFlash. No sense risking a brick with @BIOS. Start over to make sure your download isn't corrupt. It's 7 easy steps:
1. Go to: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2989#dl
2. Click on the Downloads tab, then choose Download type = BIOS
3. Download your preferred BIOS, either F11 or F12i (which should be fine but some people don't trust "beta" BIOSes)
4. Find the file you downloaded, double-click on it to unpack / unzip the contents; copy those contents onto a USB stick
5. With the USB stick still plugged in, reboot your machine and enter BIOS
6. Run QFlash and choose to update your BIOS from a drive
7. Select your USB stick (which will probably be labeled HDD 0-0 or similar), find the file and flash your BIOS

More detailed information can be found here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide.html

irishbug

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hi guys, I finally figured it out. My board is actually an EX58-UD3R-SLI version, and low and behold, theres a gigabyte support site, and I'm not sure what country/language the website is based in but that's what happened. It's latest BIOS is actually the F10i. If you try to go through the U.S. support website, you will not find it supported there, really weird. I let Gigabyte know, but who knows if they'll do anything about it or not. I was using the wrong BIOS the whole time, too funny. Thanks for the input.