Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire HD3850 AGP - Not Recognised

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2010 1:27:47 PM

So i have recently bought the above mentioned card and installed it onto my system along with a new power supply and extra stick of ram. Installation went fine and i used the 2x4-pin convertor supplies to power the card. I booted the system onto a new install of windows and the motherboard was defaulting to the onboard VGA Graphics accelerator, through the dvi port on the new graphics card. When i disable this through device manager the same problem persisted. BI/OS settings that can be changed are all configured (INIT first display: AGP) and the system is running on default clock speeds. When i switch the new ATI 3850 for my old x1650 the onboard display is disabled and the card working. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with the new power supply or the graphics card. However, i'm not about to give up and send them back yet.

System Specs
Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0ghz with HT
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ (bios version f6).
2GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 RAM (funilly enough this is not recognised by the bios or windows, but CpuZ confirms that the RAM install is infact there, another problem, not related i don't think.)
500w Arctic Power PSU
ATI Radeon 3850 AGP Sapphire, 512mb/gddr3

I appreciate any replies and will be happy to provide any more information if it's needed.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2010 11:15:41 PM

Write down your current BIOS settings, especially any you changed from the default settings. Enter BIOS and load "fail-safe" or other similar choice. Save and exit. Press <delete> key on POST to enter BIOS. Change the setting for the on-board video to "Disabled", change to AGP first, and any other changes you made earlier that you actually need. Save and exit. Let it POST and see if your card is providing the video.
m
l
January 17, 2010 9:54:32 AM

Thanks for the help, but i attempted that before and it produced no result. Eventually after reinstalling the card several times it recognised my old x1650, so i updated windows using that before installing the 3850 agp which was also recognised first time. Then the driver shenanigans started but i think i've just about cracked that problem. The card had a device ID of 9505 and the catalyst install utility was installing the wrong drivers for it as far as I can tell, so i edited the .inf file for the latest agp hotfix, correcting the corresponding line. Hopefully that will solve my DirectX errors when trying to launch games (Only tested modern warfare 2 so far).

Ps: Any idea how i can install CCC without over-writing the driver using the install utility?
m
l
!