Sign in with
Your question

GPU tweak to break core clock limit?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 10, 2012 1:25:30 AM

Hey guys, so I've currently gotten my newest build together (parts will be listed below for reference), and the last part is overclocking my video card. Right now I'm pretty stump on raising my core clock; I've hit the limit and I feel like it can go higher!!! So far I'm on stock voltage and everything seems stable for the most part, and I'm slowly raising the memory by 50mhz at a time. Now we all know boosting the core clock is where all of the cream of the crop is, and I feel like my core could go higher but MSI is limiting me.

I've been reading about unlocking bios'/GPU tweak and I feel like I could possibly do this, however the only things I've read on that is that it just allows me to raise my voltage. That's not where I'm having the problem... Would that actually allow me to not have a limit on my core clock as well? Or do I need to look into something else???

This is my system specs and the card I'm working with:
- Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.0ghz
- Rosewill Fortress 650w
- MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC @ 1100/1450 so far...

a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2012 3:46:07 AM

Try using Trixx instead of Afterburner. It should let you go beyond 1.1GHz/1.45GHz.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2012 3:55:22 AM

if your alright with flashing the BIOS, Radeon bios editor allows you to raise the CCC limit (which should raise this as well if im not mistaken)
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2012 4:04:14 AM

Looking at your screen shot i can't see what should be there didn't put a tick where it says "unlock voltage control"
Red is just a theme anyway after applying settings u should restart AB for changes to take effect
If not i would personally get a law suite in the works
m
l
September 10, 2012 5:24:56 AM

blazorthon said:
Try using Trixx instead of Afterburner. It should let you go beyond 1.1GHz/1.45GHz.

I'll give Trixx a shot... looking at a few screenshots, it seems like it's not completely developed.

nna2 said:
if your alright with flashing the BIOS, Radeon bios editor allows you to raise the CCC limit (which should raise this as well if im not mistaken)

RBE doesn't show support for 7k cards :( 

bigcyco1 said:
Looking at your screen shot i can't see what should be there didn't put a tick where it says "unlock voltage control"
Red is just a theme anyway after applying settings u should restart AB for changes to take effect
If not i would personally get a law suite in the works

Not sure what you are looking at on the screen shot, but the voltage control is unlocked (and I can move it freely up or down). My problem is that Afterburner has a limit on the core clock speed (1100mhz max).
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2012 11:48:46 AM

toneekay said:
I'll give Trixx a shot... looking at a few screenshots, it seems like it's not completely developed.

RBE doesn't show support for 7k cards :( 

Not sure what you are looking at on the screen shot, but the voltage control is unlocked (and I can move it freely up or down). My problem is that Afterburner has a limit on the core clock speed (1100mhz max).
oh o.k. my bad
m
l
September 21, 2012 5:10:04 PM

I don't know if this thread is still open, but the Asus GPU Tweaker has a MUCH higher limit. My base 400Mhz card has the option to be OC`d up to 520MHz with MSI, but up to 800MHz in ASUS. Except trying the latter gives a RED screen of death (GPU crash) and I have to reboot at lower settings.....
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 5:15:29 PM

turbo10k said:
I don't know if this thread is still open, but the Asus GPU Tweaker has a MUCH higher limit. My base 400Mhz card has the option to be OC`d up to 520MHz with MSI, but up to 800MHz in ASUS. Except trying the latter gives a RED screen of death (GPU crash) and I have to reboot at lower settings.....

Trixx is also far better than Afterburner.
m
l
September 21, 2012 5:23:18 PM

blazorthon said:
Trixx is also far better than Afterburner.

But isn't trixx much less safe?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 5:28:46 PM

turbo10k said:
But isn't trixx much less safe?

It's no less safe than Asus's tool. Anything that gives you the option to change voltages can cause issues if you screw it up.
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:10:15 PM

blazorthon said:
It's no less safe than Asus's tool. Anything that gives you the option to change voltages can cause issues if you screw it up.

Thx, will try. Also, can you reply to my question here?
m
l
!