Intel core2duo T5550 how to overclock

PsychoPirate

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hello, I have laptop hp dv6700
intel Core2duo T5550 1.83Ghz I want to overclock it I use clockgen but I dont know my pll
is there any way to know scan for example and know my pll or another software to over clock , im new to OC thingy btw :) .

best regards :)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with trying to overclock a laptop. You have a bunch of things working against you that will limit your overclock to a very mediocre amount, even if you were able to get clockgen to work. You cannot adjust RAM frequency, voltage, or timings. You will be overclocking the RAM along with the CPU FSB in a 2:1 fashion (166 MHz FSB clock, 333 MHz DRAM interface clock), and the stock RAM used by many vendors doesn't overclock very well. I'd be floored if you could get a 10% FSB boost (overclocking by a mere 183 MHz) before the RAM craps out on you. You could try to put DDR2-800 in there instead of the stock DDR2-667, but you would have to get decent aftermarket DDR2-800 that can run at DDR2-800 speeds at DDR2-667's 5-5-5 timings instead of DDR2-800's 6-6-6 timings to get much benefit. I also highly doubt the laptop will be bus-locked, so you are overclocking your southbridge and everything attached to it when you increase the PLL clock. This causes problems as things like SATA controllers are notoriously intolerant to overclocking. I've heard of people having trouble with disk controllers at a mere 5% clock speed increase on non-bus-locked boards. That pretty much makes the computer unusable when that happens.

Laptops are quite possibly the worst computers to try to overclock due to those issues. I'd strongly recommending getting a faster CPU and plopping it in there rather than overclocking. Fortunately your T5550 is a Socket P CPU and the dv6700 series info page says it supports other 65 nm Socket P CPUs with up to an 800 MHz FSB. I would try to find one of those, particularly one with 4 MB of L2 cache (T7300, T7500, T7700, T7800.) Those should give you a pretty decent boost over the T5550.

PsychoPirate

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Thank You very very much for this info :D
I think I better build new desktop, better than laptop but first I need to get some info about better CPU , Motherboard, ATI or Nvidia I think quad core, good ? and ati 5870HD but i have no info about motherboards :S