Memory has to be in motherboards QVL?

artoulis

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
hello everybody
i have decided to build a new s1156 system with i5-760
i chose ASUS P7P55D-E as my motherboard
but i am not sure what to get with memory modules

do i have to get a module that is in mobo's QVL list?
or i can buy any module i want?
moreover what kind of memory should i chose and with what timings?

artoulis

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
i see,
but why this QVL list exists?
also is there any chance i will buy some 1600MHz 1.65v ram and it will not work correctly on my system?

QVL exists because manufactures want users to know that what kind of RAMs(speed and voltages) can be used on the motherboard.
Well you can buy a product and it turns out to be defective, but if its good then yes a 1600MHz RAM with 1.65v should work fine on your motherboard

The QVL list is just a list of the actual Modules that have been tested and found to work on that MOBO but the MOBO maker does not have the time or resources to test every RAM module by every Manufacturer. It is helpful to see what kind of modules have worked to get an idea of whether the ones you are buying will work but is not all inclusive !

There is always a chance of buying a module that will not work but for the most part as long as it is the correct Voltage and speed for the MOBO to support it should work fine (NOTE : the spec for DDR3 is 1333 MHZ and 1.5 Volts -- so on first boot no matter what Modules you buy the BIOS will normally default to that speed and voltage so if you buy a different speed or voltage you will need to enter the BIOS and set the settings correctly manually in order to get the benefit of the extra speed !! -- This is the same whether or not the modules are listed on the QVL )

Good response from JDfan.

You can also go to the ram manufacturer's web site and access their configurator. Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram parts. If you have an issue, you will then get support from the ram vendor.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

I Art, I just wanted to mention that I also just built my first computer. Im's not exactly build savvy but I wanted to learn and challenge myself. So what I did was reference Toms "build your own" recipe for the core i7 build. It helped a lot with configuring a balanced computer. Since I'm not a big gamer I even saved some money by only adding one of the video cards of the suggested two and upgraded other components. It's all worked out great and I'm real proud of myself.
Good luck with your build.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Hello JDF, I was wondering if you could refer me any place that I could learn how to set the memory to the full potential as you mentioned in your answer. I just built my first computer and noticed in my bios it says its running at 800 when it is actually 1600MHZ.

Thanks

Actually if it is reporting 800Mhz. it is probably running at 1600 -- with DDR (Dual Data Rate) the modules perform 2 operations per clock cycle so your actual memory frequency will be twice the reported frequency (2x800=1600) - The 1600 spec is just something the memory companies came up with to make it sound faster than DDR800 !! (1333 Mhz. DDR will show as 666MHZ and 1066Mhz. will be reported as 533Mhz.) -- To make sure download and run CPU-z and look under the memory tab and it should show 800 if it is running at 1600 (CPU-z reports the actual memory frequency not the doubled frequency !)

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi and thanks for responding so quickly. these are the reported numbers in cpuz.

DRAM Freq. 399.8 MHz
FSB DRAM 2:6
CL 6.0 clocks
tRCD 6 clocks
tRP 6 clocks
tRAS 15 clocks
tRFC 44 clocks
command 1T

so theres no 800 or 1600 reported. Do you know where I can read about instruction on how to make the adjustments. Like I said this is my first build and I'm really nervous about changing anything in the BIOS. I would feel more comfortable after reading some instruction like I did when I built the computer.