Your question

Will this work?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Q-Tec
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2010 5:48:49 PM

I'll admit I don't know much about compatibility and so I'll just paste up everything I'm gonna use:

Motherbord: asus P5PL2-E

PSU: Fortron Source 500W (old q-tec 400W)

Video card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 1gb (old BFG 8800 GTS oc)

CPU: Intel(R) core(TM)2 6420 @ 2.13GHz

my old 8800 broke and im thinking about replaceing it with a 5770 and the new PSU just in case the older won't do.

I've asked on another forum if my q-tec 400w could handle the 5770 and the answers where a little uncertain. the q-tec is a rather poor brand so it might not make it, so better safe then sorry.

Also, how much better is the 5770 compaired to the 8800? the BFG is suposed to be a good manufacturer for the Nvidia cards but how much better Im not sure.

More about : work

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 6:50:04 PM

Benchmarks

By the specs, 400W should be enough. However, that is a crappy PSU, so I don't know. I think it's about time you start saving for a new build...
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 7:04:04 PM

400w isn't really important on low end PSUs because they usually run the 5v and 3.3v on high amps and count that towards the total. If you can take the cover off the case and read what the +12v amps are, thats the real factor.

The 5770 will perform better than the 8800 especially at resolutions greater than 1280x1024.
Related resources
January 22, 2010 7:42:33 PM

Ok, it looks like at +12v its 16A
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 9:27:36 PM

Of the 400w your PSU claims to produce, it can only produce 192w on the 12v rail which most all the power current systems use. The 5770 will use upto 100w at peak load (based on this chart measured at the slot.) The CPU uses about 65w, so if it does work, you'll be red lining that PSU and if it goes, could take your system with it. Definitely will want something more.

What flavor of 8800 was the old GPU?
January 22, 2010 10:03:24 PM

I don't know what you mean about flavor, :??: 
but the only thing I can think of that I haven't mentioned is that its 320MB.

So if that wasn't it you'll have to explain. :) 

a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2010 10:16:34 PM

I missed the GTS above, but needed the ram also. According to that chart I linked, the 8800 GTS 320 also uses 103w peak, so it should be able to handle the 5770. I would still recommend getting a new one so you don't have to use an adapter or run the PSU to its limit.
January 23, 2010 7:05:01 PM

I might just get a new one, a 500w FSP.

And if I did my math right I think it gives out 216W on the +12V rail.
and according to that chart 2 5770 in CF needs 201W as most so it may have some future potential.

That is if I got the numbers right. :) 

NVM, forgot about the CPU >.<
January 23, 2010 7:39:11 PM

Preferably I'd just like to get the 5770 without a new PSU. Don't have all that much money atm.

My old 8800 died (according to the guys on the forum it was due to overheating) and I just want to get the computer running again.

But I'm not gonna take any risks, don't want to lose my comp just to save a little money not getting a new PSU.

I'd most likely replace that PSU next time I upgrade so it feels like a waste of money, and getting a better PSU is out of the question considering I can't afford anything better.

Whats the worst thing that could happen if I just stick with my old PSU?

Also could it have been related to the death of the 8800?

a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2010 2:46:17 AM

Without knowing what the old PSU is I can't really say this is what will happen, but if its similar, its what could happen:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Might be worth taking it out and seeing how heavy it is. I know that sounds funny, but there's some truth to heavier PSUs being better units.

Just read through your other post. An overheating card can have those symptoms but I would expect them to go away after the card cooled. Have you checked to see if the fan on the the 8800 GTS was running when in use? Have you tried running a game with the case off and a fan blowing on the card? Have you given a look over all the chips on the card and seen any that looked burned up? Reason I"m asking is a 12v rail on its way out could do much of the same symptom wise but not clear up after cooling.

What are you using for graphics output now?

What resolution monitor do you have?
January 24, 2010 1:25:30 PM

skora said:
Without knowing what the old PSU is I can't really say this is what will happen, but if its similar, its what could happen:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Might be worth taking it out and seeing how heavy it is. I know that sounds funny, but there's some truth to heavier PSUs being better units.

Just read through your other post. An overheating card can have those symptoms but I would expect them to go away after the card cooled. Have you checked to see if the fan on the the 8800 GTS was running when in use? Have you tried running a game with the case off and a fan blowing on the card? Have you given a look over all the chips on the card and seen any that looked burned up? Reason I"m asking is a 12v rail on its way out could do much of the same symptom wise but not clear up after cooling.

What are you using for graphics output now?

What resolution monitor do you have?

The fan on the card seems to be working.

Can't start any game, whenever I enable the video card driver the computer crashes.

No components seems to be damaged, but its hard to see all of them.

Using a DVI-I to VGA adapter

1280-1024 monitor

a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2010 5:16:28 AM

Did this start after updating the driver? Have you tried installing an older one instead of the latest nforceware?

Do you have any plans to upgrade the monitor? If not, the 5770 is overkill for a 1280x1024. A 4850 can max 97% of games at that resolution. You can save some money by going with a 5750 or 250 GTS or the 4850 itself.

But before going and buying a new GPU, any chance you can get your hands on another PSU and try running with that? I'd like to see the PSU ruled out as the problem before spending any money because a bad PSU with a new card could damage it. Or can you take your GPU and put it in a different computer to see if it works there?
February 2, 2010 9:05:42 PM

Sorry for the slow reply.

The driver I used when it died was an older one that I've used for a longer time, I tried changing driver to the latest after but nothing changed.

I tried with a 550W PSU, nothing changed.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2010 9:44:17 PM

Looks like you get a new GPU! Whats the budget? Like I said before, unless you're getting a bigger monitor, a 5750 would do you very well at 1280x1024.
February 3, 2010 1:44:37 PM

I'm a bit low on cash at the moment so the 5750 would be perfect. :) 

I've found a few horror storys about the psu brand Q-tec that I'm currently using,Its been working fine during the few years I've had it(not sure exactly how long I've had it) So now I'm a bit torn whenever I should get a new one just in case. I can't really afford a new motherbord if it decides to fry it, so maybe I should get a new one.

a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2010 8:39:56 PM

A PSU with dirty power output can shorten the life of components, so might be a good idea to get a new PSU if you have any doubts.

On the GPUs, heres an article on the 5670 that actually is enough for your needs unless you're looking for the latest DX11 games. Has benchmarks for the 5750 too and other options in that price range.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5670,2533...
February 4, 2010 12:09:12 AM

Already ordered the 5750 :) 

As for the PSU, I think I'll be getting a FSP 400W. Looks like they have few different kinds of 400w but I'm guessing neither of them are worse then the one I have so I'm just going for the cheapest I can find.

a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2010 5:26:09 AM

A couple of things to look for in a PSU, 1 is no little red switch on the back for voltage selection. Those indicate corners cut and not nearly as efficient as the ones without. Second is weight, a cheap PSU has fewer parts and weighs less. PSUs tend to follow you get what you pay for logic. If you want to link the site you prefer, I'll be happy to poke around and see what the least expensive pick I'd recommend would be.
February 4, 2010 10:28:28 AM

I got a recommendation that the FSP was a good/cheap brand. Just searched for the cheapest 400w on a price comparing site.

But thanks for the offer. :) 
!