ATI Overheating Problem

mustangnick

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have had a problem recently. It is my fairly new ATI Radeon 4650, 1GB of DDR2 however it hasnt been working great lately. I've had this graphic card for about 6-8 months it has worked just great for me the past 7 months. However I went into Modern Warfare 2 a few days ago and all of the sudden I got a black screen and my computer was off, my computer turned off without ANY warning at all. I figured maybe it was just a one time thing and maybe my Graphics card got a little overeheated. Well that was the problem but now its overheating majorly. I was getting this black screen constantly now, and realized that something was wrong. I ran a GFX temperature monitor, HMonitor to be exact. On idle before Modern Warfare 2 my temperature was around 112 - 114F, so I decided to run Modern Warfare 2 to test how hot it was actually getting. I played 2 games which believe it or not have never gotten around to and looked at the test when I saw.... 231F, 111C. From what I know GFX cards arent supposed to get past 200F and 100C. I turned my computer off after I saw that and later on turned it back on, me and my Dad have "gaming computers" that run through the night and he tested his temperature too, his ran through the night on idle and never got past 57C or 134F, mine reached 89C 192F. Both on our graphics cards.

Obviously I would assume that my graphics card is overheating, I checked other temperatures and they seemed fine. CPU was around normal however fans were HIGH. During MW2 they ran around 4000 to 7000 RPM, I dont know if that is moderate but I figured it was a little high, possibly the fans in the Computer are the problem? I did check the GFX fan too and it was spinning believe it or not, I just dont know why it isnt cooling it.

My computer is currently off and I cant get to my DXdiag files, however if any of you need them I can retrieve them here.

Also my Specs on MW2 are 1280x760.

Nick.

Sounds like it's time to blow the heatsink out.
Try removing the card and blowing into the heatsink-Obviously you blow the 'wrong way'- towards the fan and not through it. Some places also sell cans of compressed gas for this purpose.
While the card is out, also check the heatsink is secure, there are 4 screws on the back, usually holding down an 'X' shaped metal spring, check they are tight, but be very careful, the circuit board is exposed so if the screwdriver slips out of the screwhead it's game over for the card!

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
correct me if i'm wromg, but u and ur dad have the same graphics card?

try swopping them around and then take temps, if your card runs high temps in his machine, then the fault is with your card.

if it is stil under warranty, write to the manufacturer and see what they can do

mustangnick

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

Sorry about that, no we dont have the same GFX cards. My dad has a NVIDIA and I have an ATI, so we cant swap.

Also at 2 above, I already did blow out the heatsink and the fan, still nothing.

Try running with the side off the case, (as long as the system is only idling you'll not load the card and it should stay reasonably cool) and recheck the idle temperatures.
While the side is off, check the fan is turning, (I use a small plastic edged mirror), at full speed the centre should be a blur. If not go into the CCC, activate Overdrive and set the fan to maximum, see if that makes any difference.

hows your case? Enough room? 200C is FAAAAAAAAR too high. Dont turn on your PC if it gets soo hot. It will get permanently damaged VERY VERY fast if you use it too much when it is at that temp! Well, if you use it at all actually.

i think you need to reread the OP post. "231F, 111C" not 200C