Sign in with
Your question

How we implement LAN between 20 computers

Last response: in Networking
December 31, 2009 2:48:20 PM

plz give me the correct soluyion it is very imopotant for me . i m not very good in networking but i have to do that job,so make that fast...........
January 2, 2010 1:09:22 PM

To start with, you can't ask for a fast answer. If it's really urgent, you should get a consultant in to setup the LAN.

For a basic LAN, you only need a 24-port switch, a patch panel and CAT-5e or CAT6 wiring and patch cords.

Can you provide more info? Are there PCs only? Is there a server? Do these computers require Internet access? When asking for help, detailed info always is better.
m
l
January 4, 2010 5:41:12 PM

"Quick" option

Get a decent NAT Router, a 24port switch, plug a Cat5+ cable from your router into your switch, plus your router into your DSL/Cable modem, hook up PCs, they now have the internet.

This will get up and running really fast, but if you're doing a business or anything, you're going to need a consultant.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2010 4:01:21 AM

GhislainG said:
To start with, you can't ask for a fast answer. If it's really urgent, you should get a consultant in to setup the LAN.

For a basic LAN, you only need a 24-port switch, a patch panel and CAT-5e or CAT6 wiring and patch cords.

Can you provide more info? Are there PCs only? Is there a server? Do these computers require Internet access? When asking for help, detailed info always is better.

"not there is not any server. yes these computers require internet access,"
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:15:49 AM

Then you should follow Kewlx25's recommendation. Make sure the NAT router has a decent firewall that's properly configured or get a consultant to set it up for you.
m
l
January 5, 2010 3:06:40 PM

but right now i just want to do networking without internet conection so what should i have to do
m
l
January 5, 2010 3:28:47 PM

vikaskattal said:
but right now i just want to do networking without internet conection so what should i have to do

As I wrote in my first reply, you need a 24-port switch, cabling, etc. Since you don't have a router or a server that can act as a DHCP server, will you assign IP addresses manually? That's relatively easy to do.
m
l
January 6, 2010 10:39:55 AM

yes want to assign IP adresses manually, so give me the complete procedure
m
l
January 6, 2010 11:15:39 AM

vikaskattal said:
yes want to assign IP adresses manually, so give me the complete procedure

http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp Refer to section Assign the IP address. Skip step 8 since you obviously don't have a DNS server. You don't want to start at 192.168.1.1 which should be reserved for an eventual router. You could start at 192.168.1.50 and go from there. Document each system to make sure that you don't duplicate IP addresses and all systems should have an IP address that starts with 192.168.1. What's the purpose of networking if you have no Internet access and no servers?

Will you contract the wiring?
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:11:05 PM

in future i want to have the internet connection so what should i have do. and what should i do to make an server
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:21:40 PM

For Internet access, you'll need to add a router (and an Internet connection). You do nothing to make a server. You simply buy one from Dell or HP and install it, configure it, etc.
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:24:55 PM

if i want make my own server so what should i have to do
m
l
January 6, 2010 4:14:54 PM

Did you ever build PCs? If not, don't bother building a server, unless it's for home use. To build a real server, start with the following:

- Server case (or any case that will accommodate your components)
- Server motherboard
- Xeon or Opteron CPU (depends on the platform that you chose)
- ECC memory (based on the purpose of the server, you should know how much you need)
- Disks in a RAID1, RAID10 or RAID5 configuration
- CDROM drive
- OS
- Backup software (if not included with the OS or if it doesn't meet your requirements) and an external device to perform backups to.
m
l
January 6, 2010 4:19:24 PM

K NOW I AM GOING TO ATTACH AN ROUTER NOT A SERVER. TELL ME ONE THING HOW MANY LAN WIRE AND CONECTORS I NEED TO ATTACH THE COMPUETRS
m
l
!