"Custom Watercooling" loop feedback

Hello all, I am considering getting into the water-cooling game. Wont happen for a while, but I have started looking for good components/kits.
I realise its probably a safer bet if its my first time watercooling to get a pre-made loop like a Corsair H100 or something. But here in Australia the H100 costs $149, while the XSPC kit below is the same price for what I understand is superior cooling, upgradability and general awesome (I am a bit vain :lol: ). So I would rather skip the intermediary (and expensive) step and get straight to the good stuff.

For now its just CPU cooling, but who knows what I might end up doing once I get a decent job and cash starts to become less of an issue.

I am considering this XSPC RASA kit.
XSPC Rasa 750 RS360. $149
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=16616
It seems to be a good kit from what I have read of it and its recommended in the Watercooling Sticky at the top of the forum. As I understand it the pump/res combo in this kit is fairly good for the kit as it stands, but I will need to get a more powerful pump if I wanted to add more rad's and possibly GPU blocks?

With this coolant pre-mix.
EK-Ekoolant Blood Red (premix 1000mL). $14
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_301&products_id=18536
Cant find much info on this, would using this coolant be an issue? From what I have gathered there is little cooling difference between most pre-mixes and distilled water, and I would like this due to its colour (to fit my black/red colour scheme).

With a Silver coil inside to kill bacteria/algae.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_301&products_id=19311
Is this necessary given that what info I have found of the coolant already bills itself as anti-bacterial? Also where would I put this in the loop, I imagine in the reservoir (where the pump is in the Rasa kit) isn't a good idea.

Later on down the track, if the kit as it stands become insufficient, I could just add in another 120/140mm radiator into the loop? Cant see any reason why I couldn't but that's why I'm here, asking for help.

My rig as it matters.
Intel i5-3570k
AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Coolermaster HAF-X case
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.
Silverstone Strider 750W PSU.

I realize that the hardware I have right now doesn't really justify a water-cooling rig, but I am thinking a bit longer term. The computer as it stands is serving me fine for my needs, but a year or two from now I may need to upgrade to a beefier CPU (considering a career in media production, so video editing and such) and I am sure the added overclocking headroom that comes with watercooling will help with this.
Thanks for any help, I hope that I will get to do all this somewhat soon.

Bonus Question:
There seems to be another XSPC kit that seems to be the same to my untrained eye except for a few more LED lights and other small things. Is it worth the extra $10 over the kit above (considering that I wouldn't use those blue LED's anyway given my colour scheme).
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=21056

Solution
I still recommend the EX over the RS but you should be good with that for now, you will as I mentioned go totally overboard in the future and add more so its fine hehe
Order away mate and start your build log when it all gets here,
we demand pics :)
Moto

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

People like colored coolant, I can't blame em either :p

manofchalk don't buy the EK coolant. I've used the EK UV coolant before and it left all my tubes stained. I'd reccomend you look into Mayhem's X1 or Pastel range, I'm currently using Pastel Mint Green with good results. If you do choose to go this route, you don't need to get a kill coil or biocide extra, the same with the EK premix.

As for your bonus question, go with the one that's $10 more, it comes with the newer XSPC CPU block (Raystorm vs. the older Rasa), which is a much better block. Hope this information helps you out

I would suggest getting either the RASA RS360 or the RASA RX360 kit. The RX360 kit is a little more expensive, but you get a better radiator with it, and it's still under $200. If you were to get the RS360, though, I would suggest replacing the CPU block with either a Swiftech Apogee HD or an XSPC Raystorm. That's what i did anyway lol

+1 sometimes it's not cutting corners though it's a matter of what somebody can afford lol

Wait a minute i just noticed no...no...no... You don't use that just use a kill coil and De-Ionized water that is what i use but it's also o.k. to use distilled water and PT-Nuke but don't use that stuff you linked K-Ekoolant Blood Red (premix 1000mL) it's not good.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Dyes, not coolants if you have the choice. Mayhem's is decent in most cases, but again, I still only would use a dye vs. a coolant. You can also go the route of using food coloring as well (I've done this and it works pretty well, but stains tubing).

Yeah,but don't you think hes better off using red tubing distilled water and PT-Nuke or just use a kill coil and De-Ionized water

From what I have gathered.

Get the more expensive kit because of the better Raystorm block. Good to see this is like the rest of my PC and the price just keeps creeping up :D .

Dont get a premix, and if possible don't colour the water at all. Buy coloured tubing instead. Yay, more money.

Would this tubing do? It is the same size (I think) as the fittings on the XSPC kit.
Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing 7/16D. $9 a Metre (3.3ft for you Americans and your Imperial system).
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_853&products_id=19370
Can I also a rough guess on how much I will need, considering that I will likely waste some with bad cuts?

Now that its just distilled water, I am assuming I will need that Killcoil. From what I have read online you need a Killcoil or something like PT-Nuke to keep stuff from growing. I would prefer the coil as it seems to be the easy solution, only have to drop it in and its done.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_301&products_id=19311
Also is there any "good" place to have these. I am guessing the the reservoir of this particular unit isn't a good idea, but that only leaves the tubing itself, radiator or CPU block, cant imagine they are good places either.

[strike]Also any idea where to get distilled water from? I haven't checked around my area yet, but some pointers where to look would be good (or could I get away with bottled water?).[/strike] Apparently Coles and Woolworths (supermarket chains in Aus) sell distilled water, and most forum-goers perceive no difference between this and "quality" distilled water. Probably just go with that.

So if I was to significantly expand the loop, I would need a better pump, got it. Would I still be fine to throw something like this in without upgrading the pump?.
XSPC 140mm rad.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_297_922&products_id=21060

Also I have read that certain metals (Steel and Aluminium if I remember right) cant be used in a water-cooling loop,and some things like [strike]De-ionized water cant go with Copper[/strike] (Just read up on it, de-ionized water is distilled water). Are there any incompatibilities in regards to metals and such in the loop so far?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Total cost is $203.50 (so far)

XSPC Raystorm 750 RS360 Water Cooling Kit..................... $169.00
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing UV Red 7/16ID 5/8OD.. $9.00 x2
PrimoChill Antimicrobial Tube Coil Silver.......................... .... $6.50
EK Twin 5mm LED Kit - Red.............................................. $5.00
EK Twin 3mm LED Kit - Red.............................................. $5.00

The LED lights are to replace the stock blue ones that come with the kit, $10 isn't much for aesthetics. I also assumed I would need 2m of tubing because of my inexperience at this stuff and the XSPC kit coming with 2m of it.

**Good to see this is like the rest of my PC and the price just keeps creeping up **

Welcome to Watercooling, just wait till your rigs outdated but you have a grands worth of W/c kit on it :p
'I'll upgrade my 9500Gt's once I've gotten the second Phobya 1080 and the ninth reservoir I swear...'
:p
I'd go for the Rx or Ex rad, they're better than the Rs series and especially with you being in Oz you'll appreciate a nice big cool quiet loop but that will comne in time once you are hooked hehe,
D5 pump if you can although I run two of the X20 750L's in my loop and love them

Tubing, buy 3M because you can never buy too much tubing for a build, but its a B.ache when the build grind to a halt because you are 2" short of the last connection, trust me on this....
But its fun and you are going to get just as mad as the rest of us soon :p
P.s.,
hope you have a shovel
Moto

I thought that smiley was more "confused alarm" than glum.
After all, why would I need a shovel if it were not for burying bodies?

Never even heard of an underground reservoir...
Suppose I could cut a hole in the floor boards and have it under the house (between the ground and the house floor there is a cavity). Its pretty cold under there.

Bury the bodies? don't you have pigs in Oz?
under the house may work as well as a subterrean reservoir, you'd have to make sure it was well sealed, wouldn't rust or degrade etc, insulate it and the tubing to the Pc and ofc have a suitably powerful pump,
Its one of the ideas we have been kicking around the chat sticky for a while now,
I know it is a sound principle, I just need a willing volunteer :)
Get your loop up and running first, settle into the W/c mindset and later on if you are up for it, join us in there and we can all work it through with you
I recommend you start at the start, get the feel of the thread and the folks in there :)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270566-11-discussion-thread-watercooling-closed-loop-coolers
Moto

Who needs pigs? Walk out the back and throw it to the crocodile in my pool. :lol:

Yeah, I realize that that level of PC customization is still a ways off yet. I still don't know enough about general construction or anything to start making some of those ridiculous contraptions you guys revel in making (may have been yours actually Moto, but saw something with lots of buckets as a reservoir spread over a room, chilled everything and all the tubing was insulated. Massive setup), don't think I'l ever get that extreme.

^That would be either Ryan or Arthurs build I reckon :)
Mines just a huge black monolith :)
you don't think you'll ever go extreme, but then theres the nights where you have a vivid dream and draw the idea down for further research in the morning hehe
@Cyco, Who said anything about killing?
Paranooooooid.....
Moto

Hah, just realized a cool idea (Dammit Moto, you are already right). Its not that extreme (or possibly related), but here goes.

The W/C kit comes with 3 fans, and I have three more 120mm fans (two on my current 212 EVO and the stock 212 EVO fan. Maybe another somewhere but I would have to look), so I have enough for a push/pull setup.
Have the "Push" and "Pull" fans on different channels of my fan controller (it apparently can do 50W per channel, should be fine) and tweak with them for optimal cooling and noise. When I put in the loop I will have enough channels spare to do this.
Now I just need fan splitters...Two of them. This should be good.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_1344&products_id=19140

Dammit, more money...